IGNORED

Where can I get a SIO2PC-USB

xucaen

Ahem... note that RespeQt (and AspeQt before it) has a client-side app for swapping images from the Atari. RespeQt's client app is even open-source. ;)

I will have to look into this, I couldn't figure out how to do it with AspeQT. But then I only ever used AspeQT to load a few things that wouldn't load up with APE, which turned out to be the memory location I could "tab" on the APE loader and once I discovered that, I no longer had any need for AspeQT, or to bother with RespeQT. I still don't, but I will look into it anyway...

I suppose it depends on one's needs. I have an APE license but 90 per cent of the advanced stuff I simply don't need, and RespeQt's PCLink capability is a killer feature for me. APE's UI is rather dated as well and nothing about it was designed with SpartaDOS X in mind. I also prefer to use generic FTDI devices. I have no particular need for the RespeQt client app but it's there for those who do.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on one's needs. I have an APE license but 90 per cent of the advanced stuff I simply don't need, and RespeQt's PCLink capability is a killer feature for me. APE's UI is rather dated as well and nothing about it was designed with SpartaDOS X in mind. I also prefer to use generic FTDI devices. I have no particular need for the RespeQt client app but it's there for those who do.

I have always hated the hardware/software divide between SpartaDOS and the MyDOS camps, with some things hardware and software only working with one or the other. So I finally gave in and have just decided to have two main systems; one that's SpartaDOS based and one that is MyDOS based. Right now I switch between the two with my MyIDE 2 and using your SpartaDOS drivers for it, and the built-in MyBIOS and MyDOS too. My mostly Atarimax upgraded system that I have now will stay MyDOS, and my other 1200XL is getting the U1MB/SIDE/Rapidus/etc. treatment and will be my SpartaDOS machine...running NTSC whereas my current 1200XL is PAL. So maybe I'll set up my NTSC system with ReseQT and a new SIO2USB and keep my SIO2PC (RS232) with my MyDOS system.

Edited by Gunstar

I am also a licensed APE user, but I can't say it better than Jon just did.

:)

I'm not sure aware of many (if any) hardware devices which inherently only work with either MYDOS or SDX, although several hardware devices provide SDX built-in. That doesn't mean you can't turn it right off, though. The dependencies are usually software-related, the SIDE.SYS driver being a good example (it requires SDX since SDX is the only DOS which is able to load drivers from ROM). Another example of a software dependency is APE's virtual disk emulation (or "mirroring"), which - since it's attempting to intuit file operations from raw sector IO - depends on DOS issuing sector transfers in a particular order. SDX won't necessarily issue sector transfers in the expected order, and therefore the virtual drive emulation (which clearly targeted DOS 2.x and MYDOS) breaks.

Likewise with PCLink: the dependency on SDX is purely a software one. When it comes to U1MB, Incognito, IDE Plus, and the entire APT toolchain, no restrictions whatsoever are placed on the choice of DOS, and the aforementioned upgrades play much more nicely with MYDOS than do some other hardware devices which entirely reject the widely adopted APT partitioning standard and make only the most grudging concessions to SDX usage. It's easy to take for granted the fact that you can take a compact flash card from an IDE Plus and use it in SIDE, SIDE2, XEL-CF, Incognito, and even MYIDE devices (using the MYIDE.SYS driver under SDX) and it'll work just fine. As recently as 6-7 years ago, no two devices used the same partitioning scheme.

• Like 2