IGNORED

Nintendo wants 20 to 30 new indies to hit the Switch per week

Flojomojo

Ideally, Nintendo wants 20 to 30 new indies to hit the Switch per week

Including support for Unity is part of the way Nintendo believes it’s created this indie-friendly environment on the Switch, something that the company says has allowed nearly 1,500 Unity-powered games to hit the platform.

“Some of the indie games already released have gone on to become million sellers worldwide,” said Tanaka. “In the future, we are looking to release around 20 to 30 indie games on Nintendo Switch per week, and we definitely expect to see some great games among them.”

This seems like it might be a bit too much of a good thing.

Thank heaven they won't all be on cartridges, heh heh heh

• Like 1

I agree on both points. That's overkill to say the least. I don't want to be one of those complaining on both sides of being screwed (last couple gens and a half on the console side) and then too much. But that really is too much to where it will hurt those poor developers who can't get enough media snuggles into just lame obscurity.

30 per month could be a bit much, per week is madness. If it comes to pass (highly unlikely) their shop will be flooded with endless me-too clones of succesful games, for that's what huge chunk of PC indie scene is at the moment.

Thought the Big N was always about quality, not quantity. Maybe it's just some silly PR talk.

• Like 1

I think Nintendo despite the success of the Switch is still concerned they might be near or still in the bottom half of the big four gaming platforms (Playstation, Xbox , Nintendo and PC) and well on the low end mobile games are taking a significant share. My son started playing Pokemon Quest on Android. I was surprised to see this what I thought was a Nintendo Switch exclusive have quick Android/OS versions released .. though it definitely feels like a mobile game.

Anyway the Nintendo of old is back financially but not when it comes to market share.

Edited by thetick1

If they are going to do this then they are going to have to make navigation of the eShop more intuitive. Right now it is just endless pages of stuff. I would also like to see user reviews of games and a five star system. I just feel like I am missing good games that are just getting buried deeper and deeper as the days roll by. Not fair to the indie devs who actually made GOOD games, and not fair to me (and other game players) either.

I think Nintendo despite the success of the Switch is still concerned they might be near or still in the bottom half of the big four gaming platforms (Playstation, Xbox , Nintendo and PC) and well on the low end mobile games are taking a significant share. My son started playing Pokemon Quest on Android. I was surprised to see this what I thought was a Nintendo Switch exclusive have quick Android/OS versions released .. though it definitely feels like a mobile game.

Anyway the Nintendo of old is back financially but not when it comes to market share.

Probably in 1.5 more years the Switch will pass the Xbone family in sales. I don't think Nintendo is worried at all.