IGNORED

Atari 7800 PCB for NES controller shell trouble

Nateo

I recently got the drop-in PCB for NES controller shells from It's All Geek 3D, and I'm having a little trouble. I put it in one NES controller, and the A button wasn't working so well - I had to press harder on it to get it to register. So I put in another controller which did the same thing only with the right direction button instead of the A button. I'm almost certain the trouble is with these old NES controllers and not the PCB, but I just wanted to make sure before I bought replacement button pads. What do you guys think?

Usually you can clean the carbon contacts on the rubber pads and be good. If the rubber pads have rips or tears, there is nothing you can do, except buy replacement pads, or use pads from another controller.

The best thing I have found is dampen the carbon pads with water, and wipe them off on a clean piece of white paper. Wipe each pad 5-15 times. When the pads are dirty, they wipe dark, and then after a few times, the residue they leave on the paper gets lighter. You can stop when it gets very light, or leaves nothing behind on the paper. Just don't wipe too hard, because then the pads might rip or tear.

Edited by Hannacek

Usually you can clean the carbon contacts on the rubber pads and be good. If the rubber pads have rips or tears, there is nothing you can do, except buy replacement pads, or use pads from another controller.

The best thing I have found is dampen the carbon pads with water, and wipe them off on a clean piece of white paper. Wipe each pad 5-15 times. When the pads are dirty, they wipe dark, and then after a few times, the residue they leave on the paper gets lighter. You can stop when it gets very light, or leaves nothing behind on the paper. Just don't wipe too hard, because then the pads might rip or tear.

I'm trying this method now

• Like 1

Once getting into the controllers I discovered that they both had ripped button pads! So I took the best parts of both and put 'em into one, and I'll be getting replacement pads to fix the other. Thanks all for your help! Now I have the best handheld controller the 7800 never had. Thanks Danth Wader!!

• Like 2