IGNORED

Controller port woes!

blowback

Hoping for a little help with some issues Im having with my controller ports. I recently bought a 7800 as is, and after receiving it, found that there are issues with the controller ports.

Player one can not move up, and player two does not register anything at all. Ive already tried reflowing the solder and still have the same results.

Is this something that can be easily fixed with new ports, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Are you using any extension cords and have you tried other controllers? I had a similar problem with a Competition Pro on my Amiga and the issue was actually that the contacts in the controller's plug were recessed just enough that they barely made contact depending on what it was plugged into.

First thing is likely the TIA followed by the RIOT. The TIA for some reason is the #1 IC I end up having to replace in 7800s. My guess is that they might suffer from something similar as the 2600, 5200, and Colecovision. My guess is static electricity (ESD) comes in through the controller ports and zap stuff inside. But I thought the 7800 had diodes on those controller port lines to prevent that? Still, the TIAs seem to go bad pretty darn often in the 7800.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...