IGNORED

Playstation VR

GeekDragon

I definitely agree that you want the 3D audio when you move your head around. No question there.

But I'm confused about the 3D audio working on any type of headphones. Why does Sony advertise that their Platinum headset has 3d compatibility while the Gold doesn't? Is it because the Platinum has a jack to run a cord from the headset to the VR headset while the Gold doesn't? If so, that seems a bit misleading. I was under the impression that only certain headphones would accept the 3D audio.

I guess the good news is that if I'm stuck using wired headphones with VR, I will just stick with the set I have (older Bose on-the-ear set). I still want a wireless set for when I'm playing my normal games, but that means I no longer need to shop for a set that works well with both VR and non-VR.

Thanks for the info. I was certainly missing one big piece of information there.

I was confused by this at first too, so I researched it. Turns out the 3D audio used by VR is done completely in software so any headphones can do it in theory.

It's kind of like VR for the ears. They have ways to trick you into thinking a sound is coming from below or above because of how your ears/brain process and interpret sounds.

Edited by zzip

• 2 weeks later...

A couple other fun things to try:

- It'll do 3D Blu-rays in 3D.

- YouTube has a bunch of 360 degree videos.

- CoolPaintVR is kind of an amazing paint in a space thing.

- For a narrative adventure-style experience, I highly recommend The Invisible Hours.

The YouTube videos are pretty cool. I didn't know about the 3D Blue Ray part. I will have to try that out.

• Like 1

On 3D Blu Rays: I picked up Prometheus on 3D Blu Ray to check it out. On the plus side, the 3D is quite good, equal to the 3D glasses TV experience I've had. With one exception: The resolution of PSVR is less than 1920x1080, so it's not quite as detailed an image as a typical Blu-Ray on a modern TV. So, whether it's too low-res for you depends on your age and pickiness. For me, it's a much better solution than a 3D TV and glasses. However, that tech seems largely dead (as is 3D Blu Ray. As is Blu Ray in general, I guess...)

• Like 2

On 3D Blu Rays: I picked up Prometheus on 3D Blu Ray to check it out. On the plus side, the 3D is quite good, equal to the 3D glasses TV experience I've had. With one exception: The resolution of PSVR is less than 1920x1080, so it's not quite as detailed an image as a typical Blu-Ray on a modern TV. So, whether it's too low-res for you depends on your age and pickiness. For me, it's a much better solution than a 3D TV and glasses. However, that tech seems largely dead (as is 3D Blu Ray. As is Blu Ray in general, I guess...)

I snagged a 3DTV a few years back and watch most of my 3D Blu's on that, but I have watched them on the PSVR as well and it works well in a pinch for sure!

My 3D TV has already needed to be repaired once, I'm glad I have the PSVR as a backup.

On 3D Blu Rays: I picked up Prometheus on 3D Blu Ray to check it out. On the plus side, the 3D is quite good, equal to the 3D glasses TV experience I've had. With one exception: The resolution of PSVR is less than 1920x1080, so it's not quite as detailed an image as a typical Blu-Ray on a modern TV.

I actually didn't know PSVR could even do this so I'm quite curious about it now. One thing is that with a 3D BD, with passive 3D glasses you're getting half resolution to begin with on the TV, and most people used passive TV's. My Panasonic plasma is active (I say "is" but it's my bedroom TV now, so I never really get to watch 3D anymore) so I would see the full 1080p image, but somehow it always *looked* softer than regular 1080p, and also a lot dimmer. So I have a feeling the PSVR image will be six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Definitely going to try it out tomorrow, though. I have a bunch of 3D Blu-Rays and I love the format. I was really disappointed when there wasn't a single new 3D 4K TV that I could buy at the time of my last upgrade. Of course I knew that meant there wouldn't be a whole lot of new 3D BD releases in the future either, but there were/are still quite a few past releases I'd pick up if I had a way to watch them in my living room.

• 4 weeks later...

So far, my experience has been mostly tech demos that are fun to play, but get old after a while.

That's me, but truthfully I don't mind. To me VR is best enjoyed in small doses. Even after just watching immersive trailers and videos for 10 minutes, or playing through short VR scenarios like Spiderman Homecoming, I'm a bit sweaty around the edges, and ready for a break. Can't imagine spending an hour or more in a VR helmet.

That's me, but truthfully I don't mind. To me VR is best enjoyed in small doses. Even after just watching immersive trailers and videos for 10 minutes, or playing through short VR scenarios like Spiderman Homecoming, I'm a bit sweaty around the edges, and ready for a break. Can't imagine spending an hour or more in a VR helmet.

Ive played multiple games in VR for hours on end lol. Skyrim, RE7, Wipeout, Astrobot, ect. Love it :) and cant wait to spend endless more hours in VR lol :)

Edited by Iwantgames:)

• 2 months later...

I don't know about you VR people, but I'm waiting for Ace Combat.

Does anyone else have flicker issue with theirs?

I had a problem with mine after I got it where I would lose all video. I sent it back to Sony and it came back fine....for awhile. Now, after about 10 minutes I get a flicker/video loss if I have the VR hooked up. It only happens once then it's ok the rest of the time it's on.

I had a problem with mine after I got it where I would lose all video. I sent it back to Sony and it came back fine....for awhile. Now, after about 10 minutes I get a flicker/video loss if I have the VR hooked up. It only happens once then it's ok the rest of the time it's on.

99% it's the HDCP. Turn it off and the problem will likely go away.

It's really annoying because you'll need to turn it on again if you want to watch a movie or stream video on your TV through the PS4. But there is a definite conflict/bug with the PSVR and HDCP that's causing dropouts right now.

It didn't happen to me when I first bought the system but probably started happening after the last update. Turning off HDCP definitively solved it for me, and this was a solution I read in another forum post somewhere else from someone else who had the same problem. So it's not an isolated case.

The other option is that your cables are either loose or you've otherwise got a weak cable somewhere in the chain, but way more likely it's this HDCP bug that others are dealing with too.

99% it's the HDCP. Turn it off and the problem will likely go away.

It's really annoying because you'll need to turn it on again if you want to watch a movie or stream video on your TV through the PS4. But there is a definite conflict/bug with the PSVR and HDCP that's causing dropouts right now.

It didn't happen to me when I first bought the system but probably started happening after the last update. Turning off HDCP definitively solved it for me, and this was a solution I read in another forum post somewhere else from someone else who had the same problem. So it's not an isolated case.

The other option is that your cables are either loose or you've otherwise got a weak cable somewhere in the chain, but way more likely it's this HDCP bug that others are dealing with too.

I may have turned it back on when it as RMA'd all those months ago and forgot. I hardly use it, if at all, for TV.

I want to say it stared around 2nd Runner's release maybe? I had auto updates off entirely for awhile since Rick and Mortey was broken via an update.

• 3 weeks later...

Some mini-reviews on a few VR games I've picked up in recent sales:

Pinball FX2 - This is really well done. You are standing in a gallery with pinball machines you can play. You are actually looking down at the pinball machines as you play as if you are standing in an arcade. The VR in this is really well done. Recommended

To the Top - I found this to be ok, but not amazing. It's a climbing game with various boosts that can allow you to make huge leaps to reach the top of your environment. It sometimes triggers my fear of heights. I feel like if the VR was done better it would always be triggering that fear

Elecronauts - not so much of a game as an experience. You are a DJ on a space ship mixing tracks. You take a base track and there are a number of things you can do to add your spin to it. It's fun way to kill time

Beat Saber - didn't get it on sale, but it's one of the must-own PSVR titles if you've ever enjoyed Guitar Hero or Dance Dance Revolution type games. No cheap plastic instruments here, just virtual lightsabers that you use to cut blocks to the beat (trust me it's more fun than it sounds)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Putting Sony's 4.2 million PSVR sales in context -- it's like the Sega CD in terms of popularity.

Hey, does this bundle look like a decent option? I have a PS4, I don't want to spend a lot of money.

They aren't just selling VR, they are selling the idea of VR. A lot of people don't know it's something they want until maybe they've tried it.

In that sense, I'd say it's more akin to selling the idea of early consoles. The Atari 2600 only sold about 2 million units at the same point in its life. The killer app "Space Invaders" hadn't hit yet.

EDIT: That is a really good price, it doesn't look like it comes with moves though

Edited by zzip

Putting Sony's 4.2 million PSVR sales in context -- it's like the Sega CD in terms of popularity.

Hey, does this bundle look like a decent option? I have a PS4, I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I looked at the bundle. Seems like a good deal if you already have the move controllers.

I don't know why they don't put a picture of the external VR unit on the box too. I zoomed in on the packaging and nowhere does it say it comes with the external box required to plug into your PS4, but I think it is safe to assume that it DOES come in there, since the fine print only says that a PS4 is required. Still the packaging is misleading for this thing as there is another piece in there that brings everything together.

I looked at the bundle. Seems like a good deal if you already have the move controllers.

I don't know why they don't put a picture of the external VR unit on the box too. I zoomed in on the packaging and nowhere does it say it comes with the external box required to plug into your PS4, but I think it is safe to assume that it DOES come in there, since the fine print only says that a PS4 is required. Still the packaging is misleading for this thing as there is another piece in there that brings everything together.

It doesn't work without the box, they would never be sold separately.

A couple other fun things to try:

- It'll do 3D Blu-rays in 3D.

I picked this thing up on day one, played a couple dozen games, and had no idea this was a thing until I saw your post. I just checked it out with a few 3D movies, and was very impressed! However, is there a way to play 3d movies without using the headphones? I always use my surround sound, and it works with all VR games and apps that I've tried, but for some reason playing a 3D movie forces me to use headphones.

But there are a ton of "headset only" psvr sets on eBay. I'm being uncharacteristically cautious with buying this, probably because I know I'm only going to play with it once, because it looks like a cable-happy hassle.

Nah, you'll play more with it, the cables are a bit of a drag, but it isn't the end of the world. My wife can deal with, so it can't be that bad. LOL

Combine it with a PS Gold headset, I bet you will find yourself wondering where you are. ;) There is all kinds of goofy stuff, like Hulu, sitting in a huge luxury apartment, looking at a huge screen.