IGNORED

replacing switches for the atari 2600

lonesome_pa

I just ordered slide and momentary replacement switches for my atari 2600. Is there a place with instructions on how to change them or do I need to have an "experienced" person do it. Is it simple enough for someone as "electronically challenged" as myself can do?

I am ordering them from Best Electronics (www.best-electronics-ca.com). The parts I am ordering are the slide switch (for the on/off) and 2 momentary switches (reset and game select). They go for $2.50 each and I am told that they are exactly the same as the original. I'm just not "electronics gifted" and not really sure how easy or hard they are to put in. I figure that it can't be that difficult.

quote:

Originally posted by lonesome_pa:

I'm just not "electronics gifted" and not really sure how easy or hard they are to put in. I figure that it can't be that difficult.

As long as you have the tools and have experince using a Soldering Iron it isn't difficult, I doubt there are instructions on this as you are simply replacing the switches.

You will need to take your Atari apart so you can get at the switches on the PCB. De-solder and remove the switches you are replacing. Put in the new switches and solder them in place.

If you actually need more help, e-mail me at junies_c@hotpop.com and I will try and help you.

quote:

Originally posted by lonesome_pa:

Thanks Junie. I'll open my atari and see if I feel comfortable doing it. When I get the switches, I'll keep you in mind. I do have someone at work that is in electronics and I may ask him. Thanks.

Sure, no problem. Glad to see that you do have someone available that can actually help you out "hands-on" if necessary.

Let us know how it turns out.