IGNORED

Apple II question

Ranger03

loaded from tape or booted from disk

if you want to port your quiz program I would set applewin as an apple II+, there's not much difference tween them other than more ram (and I doubt anyone is rocking the stock ram in a OG][ anyway) basic in rom and some bug fixes

Edited by Osgeld

on applewin, the apple II boots into a monitor with the upper screen looking like white static. there are 4 objects blinking: 2$, y6, %7, wd. all flashing white

the rest is a cascading wall of @@ signs and question marks

is this normal?

Yep! The gibberish on the screen may vary, but that's the boot screen for an Apple equipped with the original Integer ROM set. Generally that's going to be the original Apple II, but Integer ROM cards were a popular accessory when the auto-booting, Applesoft-equipped Apple II+ came out.

so, how was basic done?

CTRL-B or CTRL-C.

From Apple2.info: "From within the monitor, the easiest ways to get out are either "^B" or "^C" (don't forget to hit <return> at the end of your line), which return you to either Applesoft or Integer Basic. ^B zaps any program and variables in memory, while ^C preserves them..."

EDIT: I should add that this applies to Apple II and II+ systems. IIRC with the //e and //c you can use the Reset key, but chances are you're not going to have Integer ROMs with those systems anyway.

It's there in ROM. Just gotta jump over to it from the monitor. :)

If you want to use a different version of BASIC (Applesoft vs. Integer), yeah, you can load it from a DOS disk or BASICs disk.

Edited by BassGuitari

if you want to port your quiz program I would set applewin as an apple II+, there's not much difference tween them other than more ram (and I doubt anyone is rocking the stock ram in a OG][ anyway) basic in rom and some bug fixes

My quiz program is finished. it's for the vic 20, though i may do an updated version

It's there in ROM. Just gotta jump over to it from the monitor. :)

If you want to use a different version of BASIC (Applesoft vs. Integer), yeah, you can load it from a DOS disk or BASICs disk.

Ah thanks, its been a long time since I messed with the OG ][, we had a ][e growing up and even the +'s would irritate me as it would not let me play some games (like when I had to spend the day with my mother in her dental lab class, they had a + in her office and a dec terminal)

At the star prompt, <Ctrl-B><Enter> should give you intbasic's > prompt.

Anywho, I don't know about INTBASIC, because I don't use it.

Check for key from the keyboard: PEEK(49152)<128 no key pressed.

Closest to A$=INKEY$ is GET A$, but on the Apple it does wait for a key, so you'll want the peek(49152) test. Before GET A$, I'll use WAIT 49152,128 if I don't want the cursor to show up.

• Like 1

I'm considering making a game of chance: here is the code

10 print "roll dice?"

11 input a$

12 let d=die:let D=RND(D/45):if d<45 then 20

13 print "die cast": if d=45 then 30

20 print "landed on snake, you are poisoned":goto 10

30 print "a cross, you're safe for now"

45 print "dead" (if the die landed on 0, 12 or 15)

50 print "alive, doomed to wander until death (if the die lands on a straight 45 or a cross

it then repeats until the user either gets bored or decides to improve the program. relatively basic (sorry for the pun) but about my level. just

need a way to separate the good and bad endings. saving throws not yet implemented

Apple II/e (btw, how do i save to the hard disk, the emulator hangs when saving manually)

• 3 weeks later...