IGNORED

In Pursuit of the Pink Panther Rom?

classicgamer74

I would pay for the rom. That wouldn't be a concern as I don't have a true 2600 anymore. My brother-in-law just got me the Atari Flashback Gold (I highly recommend it). Mostly I just play the Atari games on Stella. It would be worth it to me to purchase the rom. I have read the reviews some people have posted about the game being "not all that". But for me it's a little personal because my late father was a BIG Pink Panther fan. When I was growing up we used to play 2600 a lot (Air, Sea Battle; Combat; etc.) and we loved cartoons. The Pink Panther had to be my dad's all-time favorite. So, for me, it would be nostalgic to combine the two. I've seen vids of the game and I can tell you, the old man would have loved it!

• Like 2

I would pay for the rom. That wouldn't be a concern as I don't have a true 2600 anymore. My brother-in-law just got me the Atari Flashback Gold (I highly recommend it). Mostly I just play the Atari games on Stella. It would be worth it to me to purchase the rom. I have read the reviews some people have posted about the game being "not all that". But for me it's a little personal because my late father was a BIG Pink Panther fan. When I was growing up we used to play 2600 a lot (Air, Sea Battle; Combat; etc.) and we loved cartoons. The Pink Panther had to be my dad's all-time favorite. So, for me, it would be nostalgic to combine the two. I've seen vids of the game and I can tell you, the old man would have loved it!

So if you get the binary ROM file, there is no emulator that will run its one-of-a-kind bankswitch format, or did I misread somethinf?

• Like 1

The fact that a batch of the carts were made on Melody boards already tells you that the ROM has been dumped and exists. I'm hoping another run of them gets done in the future as I was sorry I missed out the first time.

The “last run cart maker” deleted the ROM and sold his copy, and as I said, has no interest in making them.

But it could happen others make it happen.

• Like 1

The “last run cart maker” deleted the ROM and sold his copy, and as I said, has no interest in making them.

I'm sure there is a backup of that rom. If is was ever dumped...you can be sure a copy exists.

Besides, how was proof of said rom being deleted officially obtained? It doesn't matter to me either way. Until AtariAge, I never knew the game existed at all. There is plenty of other stuff to play and enjoy to say nothing of the home brews that I'm patient...more than.

• Like 1

I'm sure there is a backup of that rom. If is was ever dumped...you can be sure a copy exists.

Besides, how was proof of said rom being deleted officially obtained? It doesn't matter to me either way. Until AtariAge, I never knew the game existed at all. There is plenty of other stuff to play and enjoy to say nothing of the home brews that I'm patient...more than.

Oh yeah. I mean I haven't even begun to sift through all the games yet. I keep discovering new ones all the time that I have. Just the other day I discovered Air Raiders the other day. And the hack is great because you never run out of ammo. But you're right. There are plenty of other games and homebrews out there.

The last run cart maker deleted the ROM and sold his copy, and as I said, has no interest in making them.

Say what? Is that a joke or are you being serious? That is hands down the most bizarre thing that Ive heard about this game since day one!

For what reason? Fear of copyright violation? Anger & frustration over the complicated work involved? Or what? I mean thats ludicrous (bordering on psychotic) behavior man! Surely that must be an urban legend exaggeration!

On topic, something KEY did occur to me last night though.

So the game is on a Melody cart. Ok. Well Melody was specifically designed & intended to work as follows:

The board can be erased & reprogrammed without having to take it out of the cartridge case. So it is done through the edge connector. It was made like that on purpose in case games had newer revisions made or upgrades done, etc.

Therefore, its most likely flash memory used on that board. And, whatever device is used to do so, doesnt just erase and rewrite the data. By definition, it also has to be able to READ the data. So there is your answer.

The designers of the Melody board, (and most likely anyone involved in the technology it used), have the ability to read one of these carts and subsequently obtain the data on them, and thus program more Melody boards with that data, whereby producing more cartridges. Period.

So right there are your DONOR cartridges my friends. ANY homebrew or hack that we the community have purchased from the AtariAge store which houses a Melody board inside, could be erased & reprogrammed as Pink Panther.

And so strange bankswitching and/or odd memory etc. are NOT what prevents pink panther from getting a conceivably unlimited run of carts made. Rather, the ONLY thing that prevents it, is an unwillingness of those who have the Melody technology from using it on this particular game.

So you have to ask...why? Why the unwillingness? The game would sell like hot cakes! So it must be a genuine fear of copyright violation. (or bad blood among those who initially acquired & secured the game in the beginning)

• Like 1

Say what? Is that a joke or are you being serious?

So it must be a genuine fear of copyright violation. (or bad blood among those who initially acquired & secured the game in the beginning)

I am being honest as far as I know. So it really is both reasons you guessed.

It is bad blood due to a disgruntled troll, and also that AtariAge doesn’t want to violate other companies Intellectual Property rights, as I said before. It was on Melody because EEPROMS and old RAM and other logic parts would end up costing a lot. Melody hardware is AtariAge hardware.

I found info about who would make Pink Panther to buy.

This info was from a true troll who intentionally is out to harass those involved in that limited run (before I joined AtariAge).

This Troll won’t remove his false “helpful” information.

Maybe I was lied to, but I was told that this harassment made the cart maker get rid of the binary (which can’t be played on emulation anyway).

I also remember he verified that another seller’s copy was real because it was his cart that he sold to this seller in question.

I wish as many people would feel as passionate about having the Xevious Prototype in physical cart.

Remember that newly discovered “later prototype”, complete enough to stand as a release (with 3 small fixes of coding errors).

• Like 1

I am being honest as far as I know. So it really is both reasons you guessed.

It is bad blood due to a disgruntled troll, and also that AtariAge doesn’t want to violate other companies Intellectual Property rights, as I said before. It was on Melody because EEPROMS and old RAM and other logic parts would end up costing a lot. Melody hardware is AtariAge hardware.

I found info about who would make Pink Panther to buy.

This info was from a true troll who intentionally is out to harass those involved in that limited run (before I joined AtariAge).

This Troll won’t remove his false “helpful” information.

Maybe I was lied to, but I was told that this harassment made the cart maker get rid of the binary (which can’t be played on emulation anyway).

I also remember he verified that another seller’s copy was real because it was his cart that he sold to this seller in question.

All the above from what I remember. Then again, my memory isn't what it used to be.

AtariAge doesn’t want to violate other companies Intellectual Property rights, as I said before. It was on Melody because EEPROMS and old RAM and other logic parts would end up costing a lot. Melody hardware is AtariAge hardware.

This.

As simple as that.

The ROM will come, don't worry.

8)

• Like 3

. It was on Melody because EEPROMS and old RAM and other logic parts would end up costing a lot.

That part isn't correct. Even with an endless supply of EPROMS and RAM this particular title would not be suitable for such a setup. It's on the Melody out of necessity not out of convenience.

Im at the point where Im ready to just let this one be. Its been surrounded by drama since day one, and I dont see it getting any better any time soon. Of course, thats easy for me to say & do because I already have the game.

But I just dont know what to believe nor whom to trust. We have experts giving their technically proficient opinions on both sides of the fence, regarding the difficulty and/or possibility of getting the game to run properly on pre-existing & readily available cartridges.

In my personal opinion, I find it excessively difficult to believe that pirate hackers can jailbreak iPhones, tap into satellite transmissions, and hack into government servers, but its impossible to figure out the1983 technology that went into a video game. Whatever man!

But at the end of the day, it could all just be a smokescreen intended to cover up some other legit reason for why the game is being halted. And I think at this point, Id actually rather not know what that reason is.

• Like 2