IGNORED

Climber 5 Label Contest - Winner Selected!

I really like the colours on xredmenacex label!  :thumbsup:  Kinda reminds me of something... cant quite figure out what though ..  hmmm

This is probably my favorite label so far, I'm not sure about the colors but the whole label really captures the classic era of 1890's-1910's baseball. Tinker to Evans to Chance, anyone? ;)

Hello,

I just sent my entry in. It is my second contest, and man are the entries getting better from everybody!

I didn't look at the other entries to not influence my design. There is a lot of talent here, I wouldn't want to be the guy picking. I really like Dave Dries', Dvorak's, Bowman's and Strum's entries. Good luck to all, epecially the guy(s) that picks.

This contests are fun.

Feo.

Hopefully I just made it.  I had to do something

Yes, you made it in time. I have about six more labels to post later this evening (morning?). :)

..Al

I finally figured it out! Albert is a computer. That 'stand in' you see at shows is just an actor. No human could do all the work Albert does. :)

Allan

I finally figured it out! Albert is a computer. That 'stand in' you see at shows is just an actor. No human could do all the work Albert does. :)

Allan

If he is, he is powered by a 386. :P

You know I am kidding. ;)

Tinker to Evans to Chance, anyone?

I have no idea what this means, but thanks!!

Haha, I don't expect too many people outside of Chicago Cubs fanatics to know the roster of the last Cubs team to win the World Series in 1908 :) :!:

Tinker, Evans, and Chance, were the shortstop, 2nd baseman, and 1st baseman on that team, and they were experts at turning the double play. So for almost a hundred years people have been muttering 'Tinker to Evans to Chance' as an example of a smooth fielding play.

A little baseball history that seemed appropriate for this contest :D

Allan

If he is, he is powered by a 386. :P

That would explain why I haven't gotten the last round of labels up yet. I'll be working on that in a few, but I'm only running at 25Mhz, so it's going to take a while..

..Al

So, who won?

Come on, it's only been, what, three days? We won't know the answer for weeks.

Actually I know the answer. :D I need to make an update to the contest page and then post the news. :) :)

..Al

Oh, okay then.

So, who won? :)

Climber5Winner.jpgDennis Debro has selected Jason Dvorak's label as the winning entry in the Climber 5 Label Contest! Jason will receive an autographed copy of Climber 5 for his efforts, and his label will emblazon the game as it makes its debut at the Austin Gaming Expo in July. You can view Jason's winning entry here, and view the complete suite of entries here Congratulations to Jason Dvorak and thanks to everyone who entered!

Congrats Jason, nice job! Your version does do a nice job of conveying the action of the game, which I think some of the entries (including mine) failed to do. I also really like how you used the traditional "silver" frame but didn't limit your illustration to the inside of it. Instead you "broke out" of it by adding the girders & drop shadows. Nice touch.

Now that the contest's over the pressure is off and I feel I can safely delurk. ;)

Thanks everyone for the kind words about my design. It was a fun contest and I was genuinely impressed by the quality and variety of the entries. Some of the other versions that really stood out for me:

Like Jason's, I think Nathan's versions did a good job of converying the action in the game.

I love the pen&ink, watercolor illustration style of Matt Reed's label. Nice work.

Happy Dude's "construction" label: I really like the warning sign concept of this one. It doesn't adequately convey the theme of the game but the minimal/graphic idea of this is really cool.

Props to everyone who was able to fit in both the construction site and baseball diamond into their illustrations. It can be difficult to fit that much information into a composition of that size. But including both of those elements goes a long way towards telling the whole story.

And last, but not least, there's something I really like about Paul Jeffery's submission. As he said, it's "simple retro styling & screenshot" but it's also very reminiscent of what a 3rd party game label would've looked like back in the 2600's heyday. I could easily see that label format used as a template for a whole line of games from the same manufacturer. Although use of the Atari logo probably woudn't have been allowed anyway.

Nice work everyone! :D

Archived