IGNORED

HSC15 Round 14: Dark Chambers

ROTFL. It's the heatwave :) And the fact I was fascinated by having 012345 string in that score. Glad there's some level headed folks around here.

:waving:

post-19705-0-39663800-1533242041.jpg

162,740 (beginner)

OK had a game this afternoon, thought I was on Advanced but it showed beginner at the end and after restarting the first level I guess it was. Got to about L. As the scoring is compromised by the respawning buisness we'll play for progress so please post which LEVEL you REACHED, if you play on a lower skill level that is fine but they will count below the higher skill level places. Anyone finishing the game will get some bonus HSC points.

I quite like the game, some nice graphics (though some levels e.g. the diagonal tress? are a bit weird) seems odd they used the potion as the respawn and the hearts as the undwerworld portal, guess they were playing a trick on our guys. I seemed to launch bombs automatically in some battles, need to read the manual, I like playing things first just to discover things myself.

Zorpomg tomorrow :)

• Like 2

Played on Standard...got all the way through and I think it switches to Advanced automatically and starts you back at 'A'. The title screen said "advanced" when I stopped. Played through it again, and stopped when I broke 1,000,000.

post-9712-0-12225200-1533253313.png

The score resets back to 0 when you roll it.

post-9712-0-65181200-1533253356.jpg

• Like 2

Detached, I believe you're correct about the difficulty switch. I went through to M the second time on my first play. Second time, I was at W.

I wondered about point scabbing, which is impossible to keep track of. I went trough carefully, but didn't milk the heart spawners, so that's about as fair as you can make it, I guess, but I don't think it gets harder after standard, so this one is a test of patience.

• Like 1

I also thought one other reason this game (DC) is not very well suited for HS is because of this spawn point farming possibility. But then...

-we're not Twin Galaxies, just playing for fun right?

-there's some sort of hunger clock built in so you lose health

-the tedium of it! :)

• Like 1

I did wonder if those heart things eventually would run out and you could gain something.

When I played (possibly on Standard) I thougt the game speeded up from "J" perhaps there are other little features.

If everyone's happy we'll keep things as they are playing for level reached/completion (see deteacher's post above) if anyone wants a final cut off point stop when the is score 1,000,000 for a bonus point!

New poll start Sunday, now I'm done with abbuc, well sort of, we'll go for a special round ;)

The manual states (with regard to the beating heart/portal thingy) "Only shoot the heart when your hero absolutely needs it, otherwise it will turn into an underworld spawner. So, I let my health get to almost zero before I shot it. It still only turns into a spawner. So, honestly, I don't understand why it's even in the game. Nothing good ever comes from shooting the heart.

Any ideas?

Zorp: 32,600.

post-9712-0-64857700-1533306212.png

At first, I didn't like it at all...then I read the directions and now I love it!

Nice little tip for Zorp: As you pass from chamber to chamber (bonus round, I guess) go for perfect. If you shoot all the crystals, you get a 5,000 point bonus and invincibility to start the next chamber. Try to take out as many crystals in the beginning with diagonal fire. Then, use your side-to-side shots sparingly (and accurately) to nail the rest of the crystals and you should be able to get a perfect easier.

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 2

The manual states (with regard to the beating heart/portal thingy) "Only shoot the heart when your hero absolutely needs it, otherwise it will turn into an underworld spawner. So, I let my health get to almost zero before I shot it. It still only turns into a spawner. So, honestly, I don't understand why it's even in the game. Nothing good ever comes from shooting the heart.

Any ideas?

Just reading the instructions on Atarimania - first thing I spotted on the picture of the cart is that the game is by John Pavelovich who wrote Dandy itself! In 2 player the hearts revive your dead compatriot (as in Dandy) the only difference here is the spawner is created (and it is indestructable) instead of just a baddie.

Press 1 (or 2 for 2nd player) to detonate bombs OR press fire twice, under stress of battle I sometimes did this by accident so it kinda works as it is.

• Like 1

:-D

I'm always bearing in mind that some players will find games too hard, others too easy - we should play on Advanced but if it's too difficult for anyone then they can play on Standard (or Beginner) where you will also get some points but will rank below any Advanced "scores" (levels reached)... there's only a few of us so by the end of the round I can score things fairly. It's not that often we get an "unknown" game and have to suck it and see (bring back those old expressions eh!?), though we still manage to turn a few over which is a nice thing and keeps it interesting ;-)

• Like 1

Ok, I understand.

Just to determine the difference of difficulty levels, I played once on Beginner and got to level M, 137920 pts. There are far fewer baddies on Beginner than Advanced (obviously) but they're also scattered about almost everywhere, compared to concentrated to certain places on the Advanced level IMHO. Though my previous score on Advanced thus supercedes this score on Beginner.

Damn, detacher, go easy! I've got a broken joystick over here.

RE: Dark Chambers, what was that old saying "the people have voted for what they want, and they'll get it good and hard"? Actually, the game's not THAT bad except the energy does not drain fast enough when you don't eat.

post-64696-0-90299700-1533356490_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Actually, the game's not THAT bad except the energy does not drain fast enough when you don't eat.

That, make it a bit faster overall and scratch the idea that even the basic enemies require a few hits to kill. It's not bad indeed but I just don't like to play it for HS since I have to slog through early boring stages first.

I played on advanced but I don't remember which stage I got to....E or F maybe?

Damn, detacher, go easy! I've got a broken joystick over here.

RE: Dark Chambers, what was that old saying "the people have voted for what they want, and they'll get it good and hard"? Actually, the game's not THAT bad except the energy does not drain fast enough when you don't eat.

LOL! This reminds me of a conversation I just had with my grandson about him breaking his Xbox one controllers. Long story short, he's had is XB1 for about 7 months now and he's on his 6th or 7th controller now. I showed him my CX-40 that I use and told him how I've had this joystick since 1978. He goes through 1 a month and mine is 41 years old and still works. Either:

A. They don't make controllers like they used to. Or

B. He doesn't know how to care for his stuff. Or

C. All of the above.

:)

• Like 1

Zorp: 79,920. Chamber 8.

post-9712-0-54386100-1533391659.png

The virus really starts replicating fast on the later levels. You have to have invincibility in the beginning of the level to clear as much away as possible...then grab the invincibility in the middle of the round to clean up. Otherwise, you're working from behind and it will just take over.

• Like 2

Chambers of Zorp

15,040 (Intern)

post-19705-0-86115300-1533420863.jpg

Nice game, those green guys have some evil logic :thumbsup:

Dark Chambers

Advanced C

Now I've played on Advanced, I can see this will be too difficult and or gruelling so I'll come up with something on the table re the scoring. I'm probably going to complete Standard first!

(adv) Eventually I beat A then look at my food pixel, yes pixel on B, that focussed my attention so I dived down to C and must have been hungry as it went and shortly after so did I :skull: :D

post-19705-0-53029700-1533420874.jpgpost-19705-0-91481600-1533420883.jpgpost-19705-0-22583400-1533420895.jpg

• Like 1

OK here's what we have (excuse the manual style tables!). We'll play on STANDARD for the main table, advanced is a bonus 1pt per place as is Chamber of Zorp. I gave carlsson a bonus point for checking out beginner too ;) Looks like deteacher has found a game he likes, anyone tried the other difficulty levels on Zorp yet? Intern Doctor Surgeon ?!! What's going on there? Find a manual time :-D

first tables

Dark Chambers

Deteacher "*" 1,000,000 (Standard) 12pts
Mr Trust 732,450 (Standard) 11pts
McKong "V" 370,770 (Standard) 10pts
graywest "V" 325,390 (Standard) 9pts
Zylon 246,940 (Standard) 8pts
NIKON "N" 206,060 (Standard) 7pts
trbb "J" 162,740 (Standard) 6pts
youxia 54,290 (Standard) 5pts
jblenkle 15,980 (Standard) 4pts
* = completed A-Z anyone doing this will score 12pts