IGNORED

Did you "skip" Sky Skipper?

Recycled

I didn't and I didn't see any topic started about it, so it there already is one, I apologize.

Must say, I really like it. On some remote level, it kinda reminds me of Super Bee on the 02.

What are your thoughts?

ps Thanks Hamster!!

I really enjoy it on the switch. I haven't really played this on game so much or really the 2600 either, but I always like to support any arcade packages (I know the arcade archives are single and not packages but still support) for home consoles. My user name on the high score boards is "spudboy" if you feel like challenging with the score.

• Like 1

I really enjoy it on the switch. I haven't really played this on game so much or really the 2600 either,

I never played it on the 2600 either, due to it's dismal reputation.

Last night I did "High Score Mode" once. I was at 30 at the time under the name Michael.

Edited by Recycled

I didn't and I didn't see any topic started about it, so it there already is one, I apologize.

Must say, I really like it. On some remote level, it kinda reminds me of Super Bee on the 02.

What are your thoughts?

ps Thanks Hamster!!

Miss it? It was on the 2600 thirty five years ago. I'm pretty sure I played it in the 1980s, all while wondering why I never saw this weird Donkey Kong spin-off in arcades.

As for the arcade game, I played it in MAME years ago, and didn't think much of it. The not-Donkey Kong gorillas are amusing, but the gameplay just seems pointless. Contrary to whatever Nintendo must have been thinking, building poker hands out of rescued characters isn't really much of a hook.

The not-Donkey Kong gorillas are amusing, but the gameplay just seems pointless. Contrary to whatever Nintendo must have been thinking, building poker hands out of rescued characters isn't really much of a hook.

I respectfully disagree. I do indeed find a hook there.

This Sky Skipper mention is funny since I'm currently reading The Sega Arcade Revolution by Ken Horowitz about Frogger and it says that Parker Brothers was in the bidding for Donkey Kong before Coleco got the rights. Now, Sky Skipper did come out before DK in the arcades tho honestly, not sure if so for the 2600 but presuming so they may have thought they had an in with Nintendo seeing how they licensed with them previously. No idea what their bid was but obviously not enough to beat out Coleco who had the bulk sum plus royalties on Colecovision. Imagine how the console landscape would have been different if Parker Brothers were the ones to put out Donkey Kong.

Side note since I mentioned Frogger. PB had bid $250,000 then found out they lost the bid (not mentioned who won it at first) but upped it to $500,000 and got the rights. Parker Brothers doesn't get enough credit for the Atari 2600 games they put out. Insanely great catalog.

Honestly, the Sega Arcade book has been a great read so far & has info that surprised me since I thought I knew tons of things about Sega. I was proven wrong.

Edited by H.E.R.O.
  • Like 1

Yes, PB did a nice job on most VCS games. Wish they would of gotten the rights for DK.

Interesting, I've read the opposite. SS came out after DK.

See, wasn't sure which was out first. Maybe when PB didn't get DK they thought any Nintendo game would be a hot seller & they got Popeye & Sky Skipper.