IGNORED

pit engine

vroby

What is this software?

This software is not a real game but only an interactive demo with which I am developing "pit engine" the engine at the base of the Gyruss remake.

We decided to distribute it in gpl in this (very) preliminary version to wipe out any possible plagiarism or other charges. I took very little to develop it and I'm available to tell every detail (some are really fun).

The final gyruss that will come out in cartridge when it is ready will be based on a much more advanced version of this engine. We have not yet decided whether to distribute the evolutions and I think that much will depend on the interest that will be shown by the community.

I already have several ideas on parts that are not at the level and we are also studying a much better graphic

It must however be said that I do not think you can then make many games with this engine.

A SEUK for inty-basic I think would be much more appreciated and who knows that it can not appear in the future :).

I thank NanoChess for this wonder of basic that exalts me a lot thanks to its limits that force me to expand my imagination to overcome the limits of the possible. Just what is lacking in modern programming where everything is possible with the library x already ready for use or the already complete asset of everything

I would say that this decision to put the engine in GPL should put an end to allegations of plagiarism or doubts about what happened. Considering that we have widely apologized and are proving that it was not a problem to write it from the blank sheet, I would say that it would be right to readmit Dino back into the Atari Age. Going forward not to recognize that it was a mistake in good faith above all mine, poorly managed would not be correct.

I await your opinion

pit-demo-gpl.zip

Edited by vroby

This crap is more deep zone than gyruss, look at the geometry of the tunnel and to movements of enemies.

The main difference between my game and Gyruss are the enemy swarms and he has copied my game also in this, what a scammer

After all he did, the lies, the fraud, the stealing, he should bury himself in a pit

Edited by artrag

Looks like a very old build of Deep Zone, with some minor modifications (like more rapid fire and different attack patterns). :roll:

I guess the last few weeks were spent in cleaning up the code to make it look slightly different. I don't think I nor anybody else should spend the effort in analysing the source code to figure out if it is a copy, a derivative, or a new work. I do not think anything has changed from the initial issue, and this release makes no difference.

Releasing the code as GPL is disingenuous (and perhaps even fraudulent) because as far as we know, it wasn't his code to license. Can someone really assert licenses on someone else's work?

-dZ.

Sounds like the general opinion is that this project is not a "blank sheet". I think the original poster should take that feedback to heart.

As I'm trying to learn IntyBASIC I realize that a common library of user functions and game templates may be useful. Maybe you should start from a blank slate.. again?

This crap is more deep zone than gyruss, look at the geometry of the tunnel and to movements of enemies.

The main difference between my game and Gyruss are the enemy swarms and he has copied my game also in this, what a scammer

After all he did, the lies, the fraud, the stealing, he should bury himself in a pit

this is not a game and just a functional demo.
the game will be another story
the source was written from the blank sheet ... watch it ......
I am using flipx and flipy that you have not used and all coordinates are pre-calculated
the enemies are purely decorative, what interests me is the speed and fluidity of the movements that do not satisfy me yet and the overall impact
The result is similar to your dz_gorf but the method is completely different

I think that you should bury yourself in a pit for the SHAME for what you have done and what you are doing.

I'm using flipx and flipy as well for enemies and I do not see how this could be a relevant aspect of the code.

You are using my precomputed tables for scaling and movements.

You are just a scoundrel, how long do you think this pitiful theater should go on?

This is the program I used to calculate them: D

Strange, right?

if you right click on the lists you can download the data: D

very crazy and I like it a lot !!!

if you notice I'm using only 90 degrees. A lot different from yours can not you find?

I could also do better but at this stage it's okay

The nice thing about working with layer libraries is the one that modifies the library and does not touch the code above. Pit engine is even a state machine.

If you tell me that your works better I can also agree ... but to say that I copied not really: D

now I focus on the code of the enemies

You stay a thief, non only you have stolen my (free!) work trying to sell it with your name, but now you are cloning it pretending that having changed the code make it yours.

Now you are just cloning deep zone, you can use any tool you like once you have studied my algorithms, but the result is my game.

Different was if you where not using sprites for enemies at all, different was if the size of the tunnel and its proportions were different by mine, different was if you was developing something else understanding that having stolen my game is so shameful and deplorable that you should quit developing this game and go to the hell

Edited by artrag

This is the program I used to calculate them: D
Strange, right?
if you right click on the lists you can download the data: D
very crazy and I like it a lot !!!
if you notice I'm using only 90 degrees. A lot different from yours can not you find?
I could also do better but at this stage it's okay
The nice thing about working with layer libraries is the one that modifies the library and does not touch the code above. Pit engine is even a state machine.
If you tell me that your works better I can also agree ... but to say that I copied not really: D
now I focus on the code of the enemies

So you spent the past few weeks re-writing the implementation to make it seem original. I'm not impressed. Unfortunately for you, in the real world, you can't just retroactively claim originality after cloning someone else's work and changing it. :roll:

-dZ.

Yes Dz-jay not weeks but many hours yes. But I'm cloning "gyruss" and it's a real unfortunate reason that looks like dz-gorf.

These "enemies" very easy to implement are a demo that will never become a game but that served to carry on the engine of the game

The enemies of gyruss will be those of gyruss with the movements as similar as possible to those of gyruss and the waves organized in the same way.

This is not an original work, in some ways it is more difficult but this is another story

Yes Dz-jay not weeks but many hours yes. But I'm cloning "gyruss" and it's a real unfortunate reason that looks like dz-gorf.
These "enemies" very easy to implement are a demo that will never become a game but that served to carry on the engine of the game

No, that's not what we are implying. Let me be more direct: I am saying that you took Arturo's work, attempted to pass it as your own, then got caught and asked to release the source. However, instead of releasing the source immediately, you spent several weeks re-arrenging and changing it in order to make it look different, so that you can now release it and claim "see, it was different all along!" :roll:

In any case, it does not matter. You will do whatever you wish and people will judge you and the events that transpired in whichever way their conscience directs.

I wish you would have joined this community from the beginning on more friendly and open terms because we could always use more programmers; but now your name and your work are tainted. You made your bed, now you lie on it.

-dZ.

• Like 1

No, I have admitted that I used Arturo's work because I thought (wrong) it was an abandoned project and I usually hope that my abandoned projects are taken by someone. Understood that it was not abandoned, we did not sell anything, although there were a lot of requests and I'm rewriting everything from the blank sheet. I have not rearranged anything of the dzgorf code. If you lose some time you will clearly see that the logic is very different. I released it to show that the code is different. Not realizing it seems to me frankly difficult. Even mathematics is different. The point is that gyruss is so and the result is logically similar.

This insistence is due to the only annoyance of not being believed.

No, that's not what we are implying. Let me be more direct: I am saying that you took Arturo's work, attempted to pass it as your own, then got caught and asked to release the source. However, instead of releasing the source immediately, you spent several weeks re-arrenging and changing it in order to make it look different, so that you can now release it and claim "see, it was different all along!" :roll:

That's not how I understand it. My understanding is that vroby had admitted in the other thread to downloading and using the source code artrag had posted. Why he did it, I don't know, but his explanation was that he mistakenly thought it was public domain. Since he already admitted to it, I'm not sure how much is gained by posting the source to that version. The claim now is that what has been posted here is an all new version free of any infringing code.

Edited by mr_me

That's not how I understand it. My understanding is that vroby had admitted in the other thread to downloading and using the source code artrag had posted. Why he did it, I don't know, but his explanation was that he mistakenly thought it was public domain. Since he already admitted to it, I'm not sure how much is gained by posting the source to that version. The claim now is that what has been posted here is an all new version free of any infringing code.

And my response to that claim is that, it doesn't matter. His name and work is tainted by his previous actions, and nothing changes that. I will not accept that the onus is on us to analyse and verify that his claims are true when he claimed the exact same thing before he admitted his "mistake." No, that's not how it works.

You and some others want to give him the benefit of the doubt or imagine that it was all some bizarre misunderstanding? That's your prerogative -- whatever helps you sleep at night for supporting this sort of behaviour. I understand that some people will look past many things just to get their hands on another "rare/limited edition" Intellivision thing.

-dZ.

Let me be more accurate.

After having tried to steal my work and fraud the collectors by selling my game as Gyruss, now he is the reworking my sources having learned from that how to do tunnel projections and scaling.

Having copied my choices and my math, the result is so identical to my game that it is irrelevant if the code is reworked or not, thus is a plagiarism again and this guy is a scammer and a pirate

Yes, it's possible to plagiarise someone's ideas without infringing copyright.

And my response to that claim is that, it doesn't matter. His name and work is tainted by his previous actions, and nothing changes that. I will not accept that the onus is on us to analyse and verify that his claims are true when he claimed the exact same thing before he admitted his "mistake." No, that's not how it works.

He must have said it on a different site. Even in Dinoy's first post here, he admitted their game was based largely on Artrag's work. Edited by mr_me

Yes, it's possible to plagiarise someone's ideas without infringing copyright.

Thank you captain obvious. You may wish to print that in your business cards, you know, for those who want your legal advice. :roll:

Personally, I don't care about legal implications. It's just dirty to play that way in such a small community of creators, and I for one do not wish to condone that here.

He must have said it on a different site. Even in Dinoy's first post here, he admitted their game was based largely on Artrag's work.

He said "inspired," but didn't want to admit he ripped off the code -- that is, until video was posted and someone noticed the screenshots on the back of the box. Then it's all "oh, yeah, oops! I'm sorry... was that your code? I didn't mean to... I just found it lying around all lonely and stuff... was it yours? No worries, I'll re-write it. All better now."

Meh.

Thank you captain obvious. You may wish to print that in your business cards, you know, for those who want your legal advice. :roll:

Personally, I don't care about legal implications. It's just dirty to play that way in such a small community of creators, and I for one do not wish to condone that here.

Is that what he's doing?

He said "inspired," but didn't want to admit he ripped off the code -- that is, until video was posted and someone noticed the screenshots on the back of the box. Then it's all "oh, yeah, oops! I'm sorry... was that your code? I didn't mean to... I just found it lying around all lonely and stuff... was it yours? No worries, I'll re-write it. All better now."

Meh.

Are you referring to Vroby (the programmer) or Dinoy? Edited by mr_me