IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

The fact is the controller reading the joystick portalready knows what is plugged into it. So somewhere in the console ram or controller memory, a bit already exists identifying the controller type. The location of this bit needs to be identified so that Stella can map it as an input.

OK, go ahead. How long will it take?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Would SaveKey support be hard to re-enable in the community build?

I know the original RetroN 77 image also supports the stella.pro properties file, but configuring Controller.Right as "SaveKey" doesn't seem to be supported - or at least I see that no savekey_eeprom.data file is generated in the stella folder.

SaveKey is just another controller which is not supported (yet?) by RetroN77.

I guess we have to wait for Hyperkin if they decide to take this system to the next level (i.e. supporting SDL2 to be able to run the latest version of Stella).

Until then, the community version is at least a step forward.

Would SaveKey support be hard to re-enable in the community build?

I know the original RetroN 77 image also supports the stella.pro properties file, but configuring Controller.Right as "SaveKey" doesn't seem to be supported - or at least I see that no savekey_eeprom.data file is generated in the stella folder.

I just added a "Controller.Right" "SAVEKEY" entry in stella.pro for a game that supports the Savekey and it appears to be working as expected. /stella/savekey_eeprom.dat was created and the game saved its high score.

• Like 4

RetroN 77 seems to have fallen off the map. Nobody seems to be discussing it much anymore.

Would you expect anything less? Hyperkin releases a half-baked Retron77, then the public shows no interest, and the dedicated fans who actually bought one complain about it incessantly.

Instead of fixing a poorly implemented good idea, the marketing has already written it off as a bad idea and moved onto something else. That's why sales have discontinued, and there is little to no continued firmware support from the parent company.

Instead of fixing a poorly implemented good idea, the marketing has already written it off as a bad idea and moved onto something else. That's why sales have discontinued, and there is little to no continued firmware support from the parent company.

Weren't there people praising it for its design etc...?

[the same design they used for their RentroN 1 aka the HDMI NES, with the same cut corner, just with different ports and buttons in the front and in black .... you can tell I didn't dig it one bit]

I think we are seeing a pattern of companies throwing some random shit at the wall and see what sticks and then going .... "oh, really quality was important? Compatibility was so important? We could not have anticipated it!" kind of a retarded excuse.

• Like 2

Weren't there people praising it for its design etc...?

[the same design they used for their RentroN 1 aka the HDMI NES, with the same cut corner, just with different ports and button in the front and in black .... you can tell I didn't dig it one bit]

I think we are seeing a pattern of companies throwing some random shit at the wall and see what sticks and then going .... "oh, really quality was important? Compatibility was so important? We could not have anticipated it!" kind of a retarded excuse.

Throwing shit at the wall can be fun. Throwing shit at the fan (as with modern Coleco and Atari) is epic!

• Like 1

I think they were/are trying to bring back cartridge nostalgia through the cheapest & laziest means possible.

Emulators and cartridge dumpers don't mix well. If you have cartridges you'll want to read and play them in realtime. If you have emulators you want to have a folder full of roms.

Kinda reminds me of those record players they tried putting in cars back in the early 1970's! Yup, play real vinyl is your car! The two technologies, the car, the player, do their jobs just fine. Put them together and you have a skipping and distracting mess that's neither safe nor provides enjoyable listening.

• Like 1

I think the RetroN 77 is a very promising system, and I'm happy Hyperkin brought this system alive.

If it would support the latest version of Stella, then this will fix most compatibility issues, including the intermittent screen-tearing. And it would enable awesome features like TV-modes (Composite, S-Video, etc.).

I know there is a big "if", but I try to see things in a positive way.

• Like 1

I just added a "Controller.Right" "SAVEKEY" entry in stella.pro for a game that supports the Savekey and it appears to be working as expected. /stella/savekey_eeprom.dat was created and the game saved its high score.

You are so right!!!.... I didn't expect this to be fixed in the community version, but it is!!!

This community build rocks!

• 1 month later...

I am not sure I speak for everyone, or even a majority but:

https://stella-emu.github.io/donations.html

(may as well donate to Stella's author imho)

That sounds like an excellent idea :)

Build updated to 20181112-1636CB
Changes:
* Amoeba Jump updated to RetroN 77 edition release version, thanks to DionoiD for making this available : )
* Flappy RC2final added, thanks to Michael Haas!

Does that mean Stella on Retron can't use controllers that the Retro itself doesn't support?

Yes. If input signals are not forwarded to Stella, then there is nothing Stella can do.

BTW: Only joysticks and paddles are supported. And the latter are reported to be working not very well.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1