IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

Original woodgrain:

Two Dual Red Button Joystick Controllers for Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Retron  77 and Atari Flashback Systems - Walmart.com

Second edition (same styling as the Ranger):

Amazon.com: Hyperkin "Trooper" Premium Controller for Atari 2600/ RetroN 77  (Color May Vary) : Video Games

I'm having difficulty finding an image of the third and final design (prior to the translucent orange/red model) and am away on business, but will take a photo of the real thing when I return.  The only change, as expected, was yet another sticker design.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:13 AM, Slikatel said:

Retron77 original woodgrain is $40 and Amber is $30? That's pretty low. Anyone want to take a chance?

HYPERKIN RetroN 77 HD Gaming Console | Atari 2600 Trooper Controller Game System - Walmart.com

Less than $30??? That's a fucking bargain !

You can't imagine how difficult it is to find a R77 here in Europe. Same for Atari Flashback 9 and X, never saw one.

In France, there are still FB8s for sale in stores right now, at full price.

I paid my R77 100 euros a few months ago (first version without the Trooper Joystick) on Amazon Italy (i'm French !!!).

Edited by Electric-Dreams
typo

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have accidentally messed up a setting I think. Whenever I turn on the system, the joystick keeps moving up to where it is next to impossible select anything now. 

Is there a config file that I can edit on my pc?  I tried looking. No luck as far as I can tell. 

Thanks.

On 5/1/2022 at 11:49 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You should delete the all sqlite files. That resets the configuration. 

Alternatively you could edit the files too (e.g. using DB Browser for Sqlite), but if something unknown is broken, this might become very tedious.

What's the extension for the SQLite files?

Thanks.

We have had some reports which seem to indicate CPU overheating on some consoles. The latest community build has an option to reduce CPU frequency by 20%. Not sure if that fixed the problem for some people.

After reading similar reports on YouTube (black one works fine, amber one freezes after some time), I wonder if there is a pattern. So if you have a problem with freezing after playing for some time, please report which type of console you have.

Also I would be interested if something the board has been changed. E.g. the original, black R77 had a simple heat sink on top of the CPU. Maybe has been changed for the amber one?

45 minutes ago, endyr said:

My amber Retron 77 locks up after a few minutes of play, with all my ROMs.  What a bummer!

Thanks for reporting. The plot thickens.

We are currently working on an option to reduce the CPU clock speed from 1.2 to 1.0 GHz. A few modern ARM games might suffer then, but at least all consoles should run stable then (assuming its the clock speed which is causing the problem).

BTW: Can you see if the CPU (Allwinner H3) still has a heatsink? The original board looks like this:

mainboard_front.jpg

You can spot the CPU through the holes at the bottom.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 7:11 AM, fredtriestomakeretron77work said:

Can someone repost this? Link was taken offline when the newer version got released, but the newer release doesn't work on all retrons :(

Looking specifically for version 

Earlier releases for the Retron 77 can be found here: https://github.com/DirtyHairy/r77-firmware-ng/releases?page=1

You can find more releases here: https://www.hyperkin.com/r77

Edited by endyr

On 8/19/2022 at 7:11 PM, fredtriestomakeretron77work said:

Can someone repost this? Link was taken offline when the newer version got released, but the newer release doesn't work on all retrons :(

Looking specifically for version 

Older versions (before 6.x) can be found in the discussion about the issue.

The latest version (3.9.4?) seems to be in this post.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

5 hours ago, endyr said:

I installed the 3.9.4 build on my amber Retron 77, and it does not lock up anymore.  I hope that this information helps.  😀

How do you know which version you have installed? When I right click and use "properties" it doesn't give me a version number...

On 8/22/2022 at 9:09 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The latest version (3.9.4?) seems to be in this post.

I got the 3.9.4 image from the link above, and I presumed that Thomas Jentzsch knew what he was talking about when he suggested the download.  Whatever the version it may actually be, the image file works very well on my amber Retron 77.  I no longer have those annoying system freezes, and that is what matters to me the most. 😀

Edited by endyr
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. So, the latest firmware works with the amber Retron 77s?

Since this system is also a rom dumper, I was going to go ahead and get one.

Edit: Really, the wood grain ones look better. I went with one of those. Also, better odds it works fine with the firmware.

So, I guess it works with a wider variety of cartridges now? It is kind of weird how it will not work with a cartridge, but it works with a rom.

I guess the rom dumper is not perfect. It is like how the Retrode will screw up some rom dumps. It tried to dump the SNES Retrobit cartridge of the R-Types and it messed it up.

Edited by Krathoon

1 hour ago, Krathoon said:

Ok. So, the latest firmware works with the amber Retron 77s?

We cannot be sure anymore. Looks like Hyperkin uses different RAM chips. And at least some of them fail very early under load.

@DirtyHairy will provide more info soon. He went great lengths to analyse the problem together with an affected and very helpful R77 owner.

So, I guess it works with a wider variety of cartridges now?

Nope, and unfortunately there is nothing we can do to fix that.

It is kind of weird how it will not work with a cartridge, but it works with a rom.

I guess the rom dumper is not perfect.

Exactly. The dumper can only dump 2K, 4K and larger games (8K and 16K) using Atari's standard bankswitching. So all company specific bankswitched games (e.g. Parker Bros, M-Network, Tigervision, CBS Electronics) cannot be dumped. On top of that, the dumper fails on some theoretically supported carts, because the cartridge port is not 100% compatible.

I consider the cartridge port a marketing gimmick.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Nope, and unfortunately there is nothing we can do to fix that.

Exactly. The dumper can only dump 2K, 4K and larger games (8K and 16K) using Atari's standard bankswitching. So all company specific bankswitched games (e.g. Parker Bros, M-Network, Tigervision, CBS Electronics) cannot be dumped. On top of that, the dumper fails on some theoretically supported carts, because the cartridge port is not 100% compatible.

I consider the cartridge port a marketing gimmick.

Ah. I bet it will not work with the Spiderman cart. Darn. There was this guy making Atari adapters for the Retrode, but he stopped.

Good thing I went with the wood grain version. It looked more nostalgic.

I went ahead and got the Ranger controllers too. John Hancock liked it in his review.

They seem much more convenient to use.

It seems like Hyperkin did a really good job with the controllers. They are very much an upgrade.

Edited by Krathoon