IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

Im using the built-in card reader on my MacBook & I see the card fine. Im adding ROMs with no problem.

Thanks again!

I know you asked for step-by-step in making a Micro SD card for RetroN77 ( I like building hardware from parts kits, and need step-by-step for that as I know nothing about designing circuits ). ?

Feedback on how things went, even to someones quick reply of watch this YouTube, will let more people reply in the future.

• Like 1

I followed gorfcadets video on using Etcher to put Stella onto my SD card. It worked great.

Stella 3.9.4 was running on my Retron 77.

When I put that same SD card back into my Mac, I could see the Games folder. I just started dragging *.bin files into that folder. I put the card back in the Retron & voila! Games!

• Like 1

One of the fixes to this community build is fixing the problem that Macs can't read/write the card. I believe I fixed that way back in the first release of these builds. So that info is out of date. Mac users should be fine.

LOL. I've been going to my old WinXP laptop all this time; it never occurred to me to check! :) Thanks for fixing that. Back to closet old laptop!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Note that this latest RetroN 77 community build also includes a special homebrew version of Amoeba Jump that saves your highscores!

Thanks to @remowilliams for updating my game on the image and pushing the R77 community build forward.

And of course a big shout-out to @stephena for all the work he's done on stella and the backported fixes he did to make the Retron 77 better.

Without the stella debugger, I'm sure the development of my game would have taken much longer!

--DionoiD

post-63708-0-39898100-1545388063_thumb.png

• Like 7

Guys I no longer have a computer. Is there anyone here willing to load the Retron Stella update on to a micro sd for me? If so please pm me and we can work out the details. I just picked up my Retron last weekend and would like to have the updated version. Thanks.

• Like 1

Guys I no longer have a computer. Is there anyone here willing to load the Retron Stella update on to a micro sd for me? If so please pm me and we can work out the details. I just picked up my Retron last weekend and would like to have the updated version. Thanks.

Try this: :thumbsup:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=170856

• Like 1

I have a buddy thats going to bring over a laptop today so I can try to get the update. Now my question is can it be a blank micro sd or does it have to be the one that came with the Retron? If I can use a deferent card what size should I use?

I just use the card that came with my R77 and it worked fine.

Edited by Drunk_Caterpillar

You can use other SD cards.

An issue ma be with Large capacity ones use XDSC, but theres no reason you would need something that large; so use 32GB or lower.

I found and bought a handful of 256MB (not GB) Micro SD cards around a dollar each. A large 2600 folder with all Homebrews, hacks, and source code and text files, and more is only 222MB.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to thank the people that put this together. I know the cartridges use is very limited but this firmware upgrade is awesome. I now have added my library of games and the user interface is just fantastic. I will definetly stay with the retron 77 as the controls look and feel like the original retro joysticks.

• Like 1

As mentioned in the RetroN 77 thread, here's a RetroN 77 Community Build test image with USB support enabled via the RetroN 77s Micro USB power jack. This will allow you to plug in a USB keyboard and USB adapter devices such as the Stelladaptor/2600-daptor and use real paddles and other devices that may be supported by your adapter.

You will need a Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power, and a (preferably powered) USB hub if using more than one device or anything that requires a decent amount of USB power. DO NOT attempt to plug anything other than a very low power device into the OTG cable without using a powered USB hub. You have been warned...

Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power:

post-5887-0-53447800-1548633008.jpg

Test build:

sdcard.remo.20190119-1727.test.zip

• Like 3