IGNORED

ATARI 130XE Bad memory

t.skid

I have an Atari 130XE that, when turned on, it go immediately to memory test and check ram, showing some red blocks. This blocks could be used to recognise which ram chip is gone? (BTW, there's a lot of red squares...)You know, I'm not so able with solder, so I'd like to understand where the problem is without unsoldering the whole computer

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
I have an Atari 130XE that, when turned on, it go immediately to memory test and check ram, showing some red blocks. This blocks could be used to recognise which ram chip is gone? (BTW, there's a lot of red squares...)You know, I'm not so able with solder, so I'd like to understand where the problem is without unsoldering the whole computer    

Thanks

It depends on where the red block is appearing. Is it associated with the ROM or RAM check?

If it's RAM, one of the first things I will check when the machine has been on for a few minutes is to see if any of the RAM chips are unusually warm (meaning they almost burn your finger). This is a good inidication of a bad chip.

Since the RAM test doesn't pinpoint which bit(s) is/are bad, you will need to desolder and remove chips until the problem clears. It's helpful to have the diagnostic cartridge to maybe do a better test.

If you're going to go thru the trouble of desolder RAM, make sure you put sockets in. That way if this ever happens again, you won't have to go thru the trouble of desoldering again. In fact socket all the RAM chips while you have the machine open if you can.

Just be careful on desoldering stuff on the 130XE. Atari used a cheaper PCB with them and traces are very easy to pullup on that machine (compared to the XL computers).

Besides the RAM chips, the 130XE uses a chip called Freddie. It's a 40 pin chip and acts as a memory interface.

Good luck with your troubleshoot / repair job.