IGNORED

Atari 2900

Master Phruby

Looks like it has a trunk a la 5200. Could have been a 2600 & 800 compatible machine using 5200 style controllers? Top cart port looks to be for the 2600 and I'm venturing a guess at the second potential cart port on the front being for A8 carts. That would have been an interesting machine.

Looks like a half-step between the 2700 and 2800/Video Arcade II.

No idea what that extra port on the front could have been, though. Perhaps some peripheral that was planned that required a unique interface other than the standard cartridge or controller ports (and which would therefore have been exclusive to the "2900")?

Edited by BassGuitari

Looks like a half-step between the 2700 and 2800/Video Arcade II.

No idea what that extra port on the front could have been, though. Perhaps some peripheral that was planned that required a unique interface other than the standard cartridge or controller ports (and which would therefore have been exclusive to the "2900")?

Maybe even an SIO port for other Atari prepherals like a tape deck, keyboard or printer even? Never really gonna know I guess.

• Like 1

Maybe even an SIO port for other Atari prepherals like a tape deck, keyboard or printer even? Never really gonna know I guess.

Would the 400/800's SIO be compatible with 2600 architecture? (Sorry if that's a stupid question.) That would be pretty cool, although it seems it would have been pointless unless Atari also had plans for new 2600 games that would have made use of it.

RAM expansion maybe?

Would the 400/800's SIO be compatible with 2600 architecture? (Sorry if that's a stupid question.) That would be pretty cool, although it seems it would have been pointless unless Atari also had plans for new 2600 games that would have made use of it.

RAM expansion maybe?

Guess we will never know. I doubt the SIO stuff would work on the 2600 side but that's assuming they didn't plan on making something to do that. Also, this is all out of my ass guessing so every single bit of my thought process on this could be 100 percent wrong. Would be a bitchin' system if it was true though :)

• Like 1

The Atari 2900 is a true oddity in itself, never has any Atari document, engineering log, magazine article or word-of-mouth ever mentioned such a console. Almost nothing is known about the console or its characteristics other then the basic mechanical features such as a clear plexiglass storage area for its controllers, 4 standard Atari 9-pin joystick ports, front power switch and what appears to be some sort of additional cartridge port or expansion port in the front right side of the console. These photo's were graciously donated to the Atari Historical Society by former Atari Industrial designer William Renteria.

Does anyone know how to contact William Renteria? I wouldn't recommend everyone calling him at once; that would be too much. Just one person, who knows him.

What about the person who ran that site? Anyone know how to contact them?

It is a beautiful design, even if it's not real.

Edited by pacman000

is that the one with the wireless controllers?

No, that's the 2700.

The case design is definitely informed by it, though...and/or the 5200 and the whole wedge thing Atari was doing at the time in general. To me this looks like a cross between the 2700 and Video Arcade II (2800).

BTW, is this an actual case prototype or an artist's rendering?

(Also, why is this thread in Dedicated Consoles? :P )

• 3 months later...

Was there really a system like this planned?

2900-front.jpg

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/atari_forever/www/www.atari-history.com/videogames/atari2900console.html

It was a 2800 with a storage compartment for the controllers... It was done by my friend William Renteria. Very talented guy, he was actual an auto designer before coming to Atari. Had a great eye for styling.

Yeah, its here:

www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/2900/atari2900console.html

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Was there really a system like this planned?

2900-front.jpg

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/atari_forever/www/www.atari-history.com/videogames/atari2900console.html

It was a 2800 with a storage compartment for the controllers... It was done by my friend William Renteria. Very talented guy, he was actual an auto designer before coming to Atari. Had a great eye for styling.

Yeah, its here:

www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/2900/atari2900console.html

What was the open section to the right of the 4 controller ports planned to be used for?