IGNORED

Geneve Software? What will people run once they repair those boards?

jedimatt42

21 minutes ago, Nick99 said:

I intend to do the upgrade, sat down today trying to find the instructions but didn't find it. I've seen it but don't remember where.

I have the memory chip so as soon I get my hands on the instructions I will carefully make the upgrade, and also change the battery.

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/geneve/geneve32k.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nick99 said:

I intend to do the upgrade, sat down today trying to find the instructions but didn't find it. I've seen it but don't remember where.

I have the memory chip so as soon I get my hands on the instructions I will carefully make the upgrade, and also change the battery.

I'm sure the instructions are in one of the 9640NEWS folders on ftp.whtech.com.

The other option, is to call (Telnet) Wolhess's BBS at mytbox99.ddns.net, port 61643 on his BBS, and do a search for 32K on his file search.  You should be able to find it that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Nick99 said:

Yes, it works!  I like Arkanoid so this will be played often. Thanks!

But you did notice that there is no game in terms of scoring, next level etc. :) ? This was just my first attempt to see whether it would be working. It somewhat deserves to be finished at some time, I have to admit.

The file time stamps (1995-1996) show that this was the time when I picked up my first full job as scientific assistant at the university. So it seems that the reason why I stopped working at it was that the hobby had to stand back for my profession.

Some time later, however, I started my project of implementing a simple TCP/IP stack for the Geneve. This took longer than I was able to use an analog modem at our telephone network; we switched to ISDN. Thus, this project was not finished either; at least I was able to ping my Geneve from my PC (I got echo responses).

Edit: For some more fun, you can edit the screen in ARKF.

(from the source code, translated by me)

/*   Read the screen from arkf

* = initial ball position
     # = wall

1x 2x 3x 4x  hits before block is deleted
     ------------
     A  B  C  D ! red
     E  F  G  H ! green
     I  J  K  L ! magenta
     M  N  O  P ! yellow
     Q  R  S  T ! blue
     U  V  W  X ! gray

= = undestroyable  */

The ARKF file looks like this:

################
#              #
#  AAAAAAAAAA  #
#  EEEEEEEEEE  #
#  IIIIIIIIII  #
#  MMMMMMMMMM  #
#  QQQQQQQQQQ  #
#              #
#              #
#    *         #
#              #
#              #
#              #
#              #
#              #
#              #
#              #
#              #
#              #
#              #
#              #
#              #

So you may have some more fun with own designs.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

I'm glad Ron added pictures when he published the instructions.   If I remember correctly, my original write-up was via the old list server and used ASCII characters to show the socket and orientation.  I think I made a mistake with the orientation that was corrected in a subsequent message. to this day I always have to think twice about where pin 1 is located :)

19 minutes ago, GDMike said:

where your lead will run, as you don't want it shorting out around a cap or battery +line

Excellent advice.  If the Geneve is in a case, it is also important to ensure the wire is not crimped/broken when closing the case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I'm glad Ron added pictures when he published the instructions.   If I remember correctly, my original write-up was via the old list server and used ASCII characters to show the socket and orientation.

Still on Ninerpedia: https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Geneve_CPU_Memory_Upgrade

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@mizapf thanks for the how to modify the background in Arkanoid and the link to ninerpedia, I enjoy it without score and different levels, it let me relax my mind. I have a lot of plans for the future in my head, so Arkanoid is like meditation for me. ?

@GDMike and @BeeryMiller, thanks! I will start the today and see if I have all that is needed for the upgrade, if so then it will be done today. ?

8 minutes ago, mizapf said:

There are references to the Geneve TIC library, in particular functions that use the XOPs. If you look inside the code, you should see that I used lots of 9938 features.

thought so. Anyway, the basic code is still there so it might make a good template. I think I'll put it on my 'to do before the frozen death of our universe' list were all my other projects go sitting, waiting to be to looked at again (remember me, the MULE for TI you started in 2004? Hello, Hellllo.)  ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hloberg said:

thought so. Anyway, the basic code is still there so it might make a good template. I think I'll put it on my 'to do before the frozen death of our universe' list were all my other projects go sitting, waiting to be to looked at again (remember me, the MULE for TI you started in 2004? Hello, Hellllo.)  ?

I believe @OLD CS1 has a project-in-process in this particular direction (Arkanoid) for the TI. . .we just have to prod him a bit to keep him working on it.  ;)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, hloberg said:

If my memory serves me right, there was a good reason why some of my projects were left unfinished, and it was not only my job. During that time in the mid-90s, I basically knew nobody with a Geneve, apart from two or three people here in Germany. You sometimes met those people at our TI-Treffen, but if the only person who was interested in finishing the game was yourself, well, then there were a lot of ways to downprioritize your project. It took some more years before we started to meet on newsgroups and the first list servers.

The situation that we have today is one that I would have never expected twenty years ago. It could easily fuel the Infinite Improbability Drive (at least viewed from that time ago).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

The situation that we have today is one that I would have never expected twenty years ago. It could easily fuel the Infinite Improbability Drive (at least viewed from that time ago).

I think this last year could get us to Antares and back a few times over.  ?

A lot of my projects end up in the 'black hole of incompleteness' usually because I get all excited about doing something then find out the 15 reasons why it won't work or at least not as I gloriously had envisioned it. So I found putting the project down for a while always gives me a fresh prospective. Unfortunately that 'fresh prospective' may take years. ?

• Like 1

I'd vote for adding the Geneve to the mentioned subforum. We currently have some traffic concerning the Geneve, but this is not always the case. It would also fit the description "stand-alone system with TMS99xx", we already have the 99/8 and 99/2 in there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

I'd vote for adding the Geneve to the mentioned subforum. We currently have some traffic concerning the Geneve, but this is not always the case. It would also fit the description "stand-alone system with TMS99xx", we already have the 99/8 and 99/2 in there.

I agree. Geneve seems to run hot & cold. Things got stirred up recent but that is not always the case. Renaming the other sub-forum "Other system with TMS99xx" to more broadly include everything else NOT TI-99/4 but not so broad to include almost systems like the MSX & Coleco would be a good idea.

• Like 1