IGNORED

Geneve Software? What will people run once they repair those boards?

jedimatt42

47 minutes ago, hloberg said:

Well, I guess it's how do you look at the Geneve. Is it a separate computer or is it an add on to the TI-99? If it's just an add on keep here, if it's own computer it needs to be in a different section of some kind.

It is an addon to the other TI-99/4A peripherals, but not to the actual TI-99/4A itself.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BeeryMiller said:

It is an addon to the other TI-99/4A peripherals, but not to the actual TI-99/4A itself.

So it's a peripheral of a peripheral. So if you added a TiPi to the Geneve card that would be a peripheral of a peripheral of a peripheral. ack.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hloberg said:

So it's a peripheral of a peripheral. So if you added a TiPi to the Geneve card that would be a peripheral of a peripheral of a peripheral. ack.  ?

Or, is the TIPI a peripheral of a PI with the Geneve a peripheral of the TIPI?  There's two computers there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, hloberg said:

A lot of my projects end up in the 'black hole of incompleteness' usually because I get all excited about doing something then find out the 15 reasons why it won't work or at least not as I gloriously had envisioned it. So I found putting the project down for a while always gives me a fresh prospective. Unfortunately that 'fresh prospective' may take years. ?

That seems like a lot of work, to come up with a reason to stop working on it.

What does it for me, is just to start a new project, which should only take a day or two. Then the old one goes away. Simple!

In my nightmares, I have to go back to Day 1 and finish every single project I started, in order. It's essentially the same nightmare as the time my brother and I wrapped up the living room in two balls of kite string. And then I dreamed that on Judgment Day, I was required to untangle all of it, starting with the loose end.

Yesterday I had two new ideas for Geneve-only games. And a motherboard. I'm screwed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, hloberg said:

I tried understanding this in my peripheral vision, but I had to give up. Concentrating on Geneve and TIPI-PEB really.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I like Mizapf's "You're holding it wrong" response..

I like any opportunity I can to interject that people should look at the PI in a 4A/Geneve setup with a TIPI as no different than how there is a microprocessor in a C64 and Atari-8bit floppy drive. The TIPI board itself is no different than a 4A's RS232 board, or the SIO port on an Atari-8bit..  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hloberg said:

Well, I guess it's how do you look at the Geneve. Is it a separate computer or is it an add on to the TI-99? If it's just an add on keep here, if it's own computer it needs to be in a different section of some kind.

I was thinking, we are overrunning the forum this week with Geneve posts. Maybe we need our own forum. 

Just now, jedimatt42 said:

Hasn't that been repeatedly voted down?

Actually that having been voted down seems ridiculous... I suspect the 99/8 is closer to a 4/A than the Geneve, at least as of when the Geneve was released. Yet 99/8 talk is relegated to the tomy tutor sub-forum. 

• Like 1

Just now, jedimatt42 said:

Hasn't that been repeatedly voted down?

that was before the flurry of work that has started on the Geneve. I'm, personally, on the fence. If the Geneve stuff does continue to ramp up maybe it does need it's own sub-forum. But if it starts petering off again... I guess time will tell.

I personally believe that the Geneve has the closest ties and similarities to the /4a in terms of software and hardware.   And while there have been quite a few posts are there really all that many topics?   Also, there seemed to be a lull in TI-based discussion which may add to the perception of a forum overrun with Geneve posts.  (Edit: maybe the Geneve posts make it look that way? I didn't count topics :) )

I thought a reason for moving the 99/8 and other system topics was to bring visibility to them, a problem we (arguably) don't have at the moment. Could moving the Geneve topics to their own forum make it simpler for all involved? Have we hit a critical point where the Geneve is of interest again and would benefit from a subforum?   

The only thing I wouldn't like is if the existing Geneve topics were stuck in this forum though, as it will just confuse matters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

The only thing I wouldn't like is if the existing Geneve topics were stuck in this forum though, as it will just confuse matters.

I concur as well.  I think if they are moved, the links may break, but I don't know for sure.  

• Sad 1