IGNORED

Could Super mario world be done on the Sega Genesis?

Ranger03

genuine question. Not knocking the snes, but cheesing the tougher sections by falling back on mode 7 is cheating. Take Castlevania Bloodlines for example. that game is amazing and most of the work is done in software. I'm of the belief that systems that forced you to improvise (Sega Genesis, Zx81/Spectrum) with what you had, ultimately produced better games.

Now as to my question: Could the same stuff that is on the SNES version of Super Mario World, be reproduced on the Sega Genesis? or failing that, the sega CD or 32X? (Not that the SNES trumps the 32X by any means, i mean look at Shadow squadron or star wars 32X. the SNES would DIE if it tried that.

could it be done?

Lol I don't see why not; isn't there a hellish-looking Sonic knockoff on SNES?

Granted, an actual SMB on Genesis would need to do some of the graphical features (like Mode 7) in software, but all the same some of the Sonic stuff on SNES would have to be done in software too (or via specialty chips on a cart to handle those kind of things).

• 2 weeks later...

SMW doesn't use Mode 7 for gameplay and most of it is just filler to save on animation. The closest it comes is the tilting platform, which the Genesis can do with column scrolling and raster effects.

The rest is NES quality for the most part, as the game was likely a quick port from a Famicom project. A Genesis or another SNES version could be much more detailed and feature much nicer color.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I read an Nintendo interview where they themselves talked about how they were not sure if SMW was the best way to show off the SNES against games like Sonic because it wasn't a big deviation from SMB3 on the NES. They wanted more games that focused more on the SNES strengths.

I don't know if that was a Nintendo of America or Nintendo of Japan employee though.

• Like 2

I read an Nintendo interview where they themselves talked about how they were not sure if SMW was the best way to show off the SNES against games like Sonic because it wasn't a big deviation from SMB3 on the NES. They wanted more games that focused more on the SNES strengths. I don't know if that was a Nintendo of America or Nintendo of Japan employee though.

Welp, they certainly stepped up big time w/ Yoshi's Island. That game is visually magnificent (and also just really fun to play).

...Even tho *technically* speaking, it needed a coprocessor on-board to pull that off. But eh, SNES was designed with that stuff in mind in general so whatever xD

Edited by 00010000

Welp, they certainly stepped up big time w/ Yoshi's Island. That game is visually magnificent (and also just really fun to play).

...Even tho *technically* speaking, it needed a coprocessor on-board to pull that off. But eh, SNES was designed with that stuff in mind in general so whatever xD

The problem is that it was released well into the 32-bit generation and instead of being compared to the original Sonic the Hedgehog it was then compared to Playstation and Saturn games.