IGNORED

Atari 5200 Sophia RGB Mod

BeefMan

I will be joining you all soon too. I pried off my 5200's RF shield yesterday. What a pain in the backside. I also specifically picked up the RGB version as my projector doesn't seem to like either of the 2 common resolutions the DVI version of Sophia comes in.

Actually I'm still quite content with the s-video output I get from my 5200. Served me well and looked really good for a number of years now.

Actually I'm still quite content with the s-video output I get from my 5200. Served me well and looked really good for a number of years now.

What is the best way to tap the audio for the 5200 if I don't use the UAC? Should I use a 1uf cap, a 0.1uf cap, or a 10uf cap? and should I tap the resistor connection point (labeled R50 in his picture) as shown in Bryan's blog where he uses a yellow wire going to the UAC even if I don't install a UAC for my mod?

What is the best way to tap the audio for the 5200 if I don't use the UAC? Should I use a 1uf cap, a 0.1uf cap, or a 10uf cap? and should I tap the resistor connection point (labeled R50 in his picture) as shown in Bryan's blog where he uses a yellow wire going to the UAC even if I don't install a UAC for my mod?

Well there are number of ways to do this. But I've actually just been attaching a 10uf 16v cap (Because it will work fine and I've plenty of them on hand) from off of R50 like you mentioned. The UAC was doing further filtering through the UAC so basically the same as attaching a cap directly off of R50 and running that back out to the center of your RCA. Just make sure to attach the + lead of the cap from R50 with the negative lead going to the RCA jack.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Not too sure you can correct the aspect with the OSSC. There might be ways to alter and squish the image back to looking like 4:3 and saving that as a profile. My TV actually has the option to still set a 4:3 aspect on digital inputs so I just have to switch that back and forth manually.

You mean like this? OSSC line multiplier 3x, gives the correct aspect ratio.

post-16458-0-90386400-1549481189_thumb.png

Edited by leech
  • Like 2

Well there are number of ways to do this. But I've actually just been attaching a 10uf 16v cap (Because it will work fine and I've plenty of them on hand) from off of R50 like you mentioned. The UAC was doing further filtering through the UAC so basically the same as attaching a cap directly off of R50 and running that back out to the center of your RCA. Just make sure to attach the + lead of the cap from R50 with the negative lead going to the RCA jack.

Ceramic or electrolytic?

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to get back to this having worked on this very issue this weekend. You can just attached a 10uf 16v cap off of the top of R50. However, it will still be louder than heck so I would advise an additional 1k5 resistor or somewhere around that off of R50 to the + lead of your cap, and then - lead of the cap to the RCA jacks. It is still a tad too loud compared to my other consoles, but it doesn't seem to distort either.

Hmm okay. I will check on my audio levels. I feed them into my receiver and just adjust the volume there. I finished adding in the sophia but I do seem to have a little noise or interference I think. Its not too bad but compared to a perfect DVI/hdmi image I think it is there. I will have to try a few carts and see if/when/how often it occurs. Originally I was just using the sophia ribbon cable (maybe I wouldn't have had noise then, but later I added 2 or 3 inches of wire between the ribbon cable and the mini din8 jack I was using.

Wanted to get back to this having worked on this very issue this weekend. You can just attached a 10uf 16v cap off of the top of R50. However, it will still be louder than heck so I would advise an additional 1k5 resistor or somewhere around that off of R50 to the + lead of your cap, and then - lead of the cap to the RCA jacks. It is still a tad too loud compared to my other consoles, but it doesn't seem to distort either.

Funny, I did what Rayik suggested (.1uf Ceramic Capacitor) and it's way quiet, but I found an audio boost setting in the OSSC so now it's a bit better without me having to crank up the sound just for the 5200.

Funny, I did what Rayik suggested (.1uf Ceramic Capacitor) and it's way quiet, but I found an audio boost setting in the OSSC so now it's a bit better without me having to crank up the sound just for the 5200.

Is that attached off the north end of R50? Because on my setup, everywhere I connected audio with just a cap for filtering additional DC out of it was way too loud and that was with my receiver on -60. Most of my systems are what I consider loud at -35 except the jaguar as that needs to be at like -10 LOL.

I installed mine the same as the earlier images in the thread. North side sort of depends on which way you are holding the board. With the power button closest to me it would be the south side.

Good point. In my case I use North as end towards the back of the case...South would be the end towards the front of the case. I might use a 2.2k on my next install to see if that brings the 5200 audio level in line with the rest of my consoles. I also can adjust the audio boost or descrease through the OSSC, but I'd rather not have to do that and create yet another profile to switch over to on the OSSC for the 5200.

• 1 month later...

I finally got time to install the Sophia RGB board. However I'm getting extreme sync issues. I have it hooked up to a Sony PVM. I got the SCART cable from this website https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/atari-800-1200-65xe-130xe/307-atari-sophia-rgb-mod-board-revision-b-to-scart-cable-0705693506562.html?search_query=atari+sophia&results=2 .

Any ideas how to fix this? I've included photos.

20190420_205011.jpg20190420_205000.jpg20190420_204951.jpg

Edited by Lan Di

OK, I just installed the Sophia on perfectly working 5200. I still have the sync problem. Could it because I'm using a SCART to BNC cable? I doubt it because all my other classic systems work fine on my PVM using SCART to BNC except for the 5200. Any advice?

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2019 at 1:07 AM, Lan Di said:

Any ideas how to fix this? I've included photos.

20190420_205011.jpg

You are so close to perfection!!

I'm guessing that your PVM is expecting composite sync and your SCART cables are splitting the two sync signals. 

I don't know much about SCART, but if it carries H-sync and V-sync on separate lines, you may need a sync-combiner circuit.

Is the SCART cable necessary? Can you build a breakout that goes straight from the Sophia output to BNC cables?

I'm very curious about this because I'd like to try an RGB mod. But if it won't work with a PVM, I may as well just do an S-video mod.

Your PVM might take S-video. That could be an improvement over composite.  Good luck!

• 3 years later...