IGNORED

Repairing: removing a knob

m_emelchenkov

Hello!

I saw multiple videos about Vectrex repairing on YouTube but nowhere people removes motherboard. I want to remove it to insert power cord properly (some barbarian somehow pulled it out of the grooves), and also clean motherboard better than it is possible when it is installed. So, my question: how to remove a power/volume knob? It seems it should be just pulled, but looks like it is glued or something like that, I am afraid to destroy if apply more power. Need a real experience please.

Edited by m_emelchenkov

Just pull it straight out. The knob just holds by a metal spring that clamps around the shaft of the potentiometer/switch combo. Like the usual potentiometer knobs. Mine was a bit rusty and also seemed to be secured by the reddish loctite-like material that is on every screw.

Took a LOT of effort though. Much, much more than I had expected. So I was terrified to break anything, too. But in the end it came loose with a bang and everything was ok. Don't lever on it, just try to get a good grip and pull. Be prepared for the sudden release.

PS: the reddish loctite-esque stuff can be cleaned from the screws and heatsink and such by submerging the parts in a water/simple-green-substitute solution. Actually I used Koch Chemie Green Star, but should be the same. Pure water seems to work, too, but takes a lot longer (days instead of hours). The "loctite" gets foamy and can be simply brushed away after a night in the solution.

• Like 1

Vectrex Power Switch - Volume knob: Pull it straight out and off. The knob It sits on top of a D-Shaft. No thread or set screw. But it knob does have a metal insert that grips the D-shaft fairly tightly. During removal the metal insert might come out of the knob. So examine the know, the D-Shaft, and your work surface before reassembly to make sure you know where the insert is located.

Vectrex Reset Button: Remove button by unscrewing is from the switch shaft Unscrews in the counter-clockwise direction. May have some thread lock on some Vectrex. For the first time unscrew slowly until it breaks free. Suggest for really tight reset buttons that you cover a pair of pliers with some vinyl tape in order to gain a good grip on the button without marring or scratching.

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

Got to the console today, removed the knob just fine. With sharp movement. Nothing is broken. So I had a chance to clean everything inside, and start repairing it. If somebody can help, here is the topic I created about its repairing: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284113-several-hardware-issues-with-vectrex-mb-pls-help/