IGNORED

The oriignal NES system released in the USA is a high-end game system

HDTV1080P

The original August 1982 ColecoVision and October 1983 ADAM computer were the most powerful videogame systems up until late 1985. However that all changed when the better quality Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) was released in North America in October of 1985 (64 sprites and some other improvements). The standalone ADAM computer had native composite video output and the original 1979 Atari 800 had Y/C technology that is better than composite video (Commodore 64 in 1983 had Y/C technology also), however those were all computer systems and not videogame systems. Back in the late 80’s I had a chance to play the NES videogame system at a relative’s house that I was visiting. The original October 1985 NES system released in North America might be the very first videogame system that offers native composite video output while other videogame systems required a third party internal hardware modification to offer composite video outputs (The NES is only videogame system in the 80’s that did not need a DIN plug or another adapter to use composite video and audio), which is really awesome to use low cost and high quality standard RCA jacks for video and audio instead of some special adapter). The ColecoVision system sold over 2 million consoles but worldwide the NES system sold over 61.91 million consoles. The NES was discontinued in August of 1995 in North America and September 2003 in Japan.

I was looking online and someone developed a video modification for the original NES that makes the system have RGB, component video, S-Video, and an improved composite video output that is decoded from the RGB modification.

However, the best option for the NES system is the native HDMI output upgrade that has no lag time since the NES system is generating the HDMI signal.

Real cool all those video upgrades are available on the NES. I just wish someone would develop a 4 screen Donkey Kong and 5 screen Donkey Kong Junior for the NES that the Coleco ADAM computer system already has. To my knowledge the ADAM computer version of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior is the best versions available and closes to the arcade versions. However, both the Super Nintendo and original NES system are powerful enough that a game programmer could make a version better than the Coleco ADAM versions using a very large rom cartridge.

I have been told by several people that only the Coleco ADAM versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior has all the original arcade screens, if that is true then I am surprised that Nintendo has not released a new version that beats the Coleco ADAM version on both graphics and sound quality that includes at least every screen found in the arcade. The Coleco ADAM Donkey Kong Junior version even had a 5th screen that is not even in the arcade (it is floating around in public domain after a former Coleco employee released it to the ADAM community around 1985). The official released version in 1984 only had the 4 original screens. Perhaps Nintendo for the NES version did not want to include all the screens since that way one could always say the original arcade version is the best version available. It also takes a much larger cartridge like a 1MB cartridge to offer all the screens with high quality. In the 80’s game cartridges were more expensive and that is why the Coleco ADAM system released their games on 256K Digital Data Packs and 160K 5.25 inch Disks.However now a 1MB cartridge is very inexpensive compared to what it would have cost in the 20th Century.

Edited by HDTV1080P

In the fall of 1987 Atari released the Atari XEGS home video game console (computer system), and that was the only ATARI system that used standard RCA style composite video jacks, all other Atari systems like the original Atari 800 that offered composite video required a special DIN adapter.

Therefore, it looks like the NES and Atari XEGS were the only systems using RCA jacks for composite video in the 80’s.

http://www.vectronicscollections.org/consoles/images/atarixe/msnap2.jpg

Edited by HDTV1080P

This thread has one post about the ColecoVision/ADAM and another about the Atari XEGS, neither of which belong in the NES High Score Club forum. As I've said before, if you wish to share information about A/V cable solutions that you think would be of value to others, please create one (and only one!) thread about them in the Marketplace.

• Like 2