IGNORED

Have we talked about Owlboy yet?

Silverfleet

Over the weekend, I picked up Owlboy. It was on sale at Best Buy for $24.99, and since I've heard good things, I figured I'd give it a shot.

UObn2hfl.jpg

It's good. REAL good.

Yes, it's another Metroidvania title for the Switch, which is already flooded with Metroidvania titles. This one, however, has me completely hooked. Even though I love the game, it does have it's ups and downs.

The Good:

-This game has some of the best pixel art I have ever seen. It is just beautiful to behold. Seriously, look at this:

4.png

imgMockup-15.png

-Gameplay mechanics are really cool. One thing: there's no need for double jump shoes or anything like that because you can fly from the very beginning. The main character Otus doesn't provide offense outside of some dashes and spins, so he relies on his friends, which he carries around. Each ally has a different attribute. and you can switch them out on the fly. So far, I have a guy who shoots a short distance pea shooter, and another guy with a flame throwing shotgun that can also burn vegetation, which opens up new areas once you obtain his services. As the game progresses, you'll find more friends who have other special abilities. It's a cool way to expand the story and open up new areas in the game at the same time.

-The story is solid. Some of it is cliched, but the way it's presented is great and makes up for it. You'll want to keep playing through to find out what happens next. Strange to say, but I get a total Legend of Zelda vibe from this game, and I mean that in the very best way possible. Lots of ancient ruins, temples, and lost technology to be had here, with a bit of steampunk aesthetic in some areas.

The Bad:

-Y U NO INCLUDE MAP??? That's right: there are no maps in a Metroidvania-style game. Not a deal killer, but it can be annoying in some of the dungeons. That part of the game is a definite throwback to the NES days.

-When playing on the go, the JoyCons can be cumbersome at times. I've never used my Switch on a TV, but this game makes me want to actually set up the dock and get a pro controller. This can be said about a number of games, but yeah...

For $25, this game is a no-brainer. Even at full price, it's worth every penny. Go buy it!