IGNORED

Mega NT

Rocket Man

Genesis consoles are so cheap I almost don't see the point (getting good video quality is easy thanks to the available HD Retrovision cables). Then again, it was a popular console in its time and so there would probably still be a decent demand for a modern FPGA version of it.

I wouldn't get one as I already have a couple of decent scalers to use my original systems with. However, if they did one, I would appreciate having the Sega CD expansion slot included as well as having it be compatible with the 32X.

If they were to make a Mega NT it must have 32X and Mega CD suport. This would make it a must buy but just a Mega Drive alone, well, for me that's not an essential purchase since Mega Drives offer excelent image quality over RGB (which I use). But I don't own a Mega CD, I own a Wondermega and sadly those things don't offer RGB as standard. Really dumb move considering it's meant to be the premium Mega Drive / Mega CD option.

• Like 1

I think it's highly likely but like others have said, actual Genesis systems are pretty plentiful and affordable and I'd figure options to get HD out of them through some external connection are fairly priced.

Personally I'd be more interested in a Saturn NT, particularly if it had switchable BIOSes. Saturns seem to have climbed up almost 2x the price I was able to pick one up for back in the late '00s, and it'll probably just keep climbing. And that's just for loose systems, not boxed ones (let alone mint which are probably hyper rare these days).

I think buying an FPGA based system with only one officially supported console type is.. awkward at best.

Their existing systems could do it but it's still unofficial and they'd have to tweak the core for each model.. not gonna happen.

I disagree. I think each system should have inputs for the controllers for that system, only. It would be awkward to me to have a system with inputs for multiple systems and I don't see how they could program that, but I'm no Engineer.

I agree with the overall sentiment in the thread that support for the 32x and CD unit would rock, although I'm not sure they could incorporate them.

To those saying they're fine with their existing Genny setups, I hear you... but the main reason I've recently fallen in love with the idea of Retro Gaming on a Widescreen, due to my experience with the Super NT, is due to the fact that I can have every pixel utilized for the game. I despise bars on the screen, and playing a 4:3 ratio on a Widescreen is for the birds imho.

To those saying they're fine with their existing Genny setups, I hear you... but the main reason I've recently fallen in love with the idea of Retro Gaming on a Widescreen, due to my experience with the Super NT, is due to the fact that I can have every pixel utilized for the game. I despise bars on the screen, and playing a 4:3 ratio on a Widescreen is for the birds imho.

So are you zooming in or are you stretching the content? Playing a LITTLE zoomed in (cutting off a few pixels on the top or bottom) isn't bad, but stretching to fill the whole screen makes my OCD itchy. I mean, Mario is a portly fellow, but he's not THAT fat. :lol:

• Like 4

Although I use a framemeister for other things, a genesis+32X+segaCD with all of those wires into an up scaler is a bit of a mess. Plus, we need something that plays the 2nd players mode of Sonic 2 correctly, right?

That said, I'd like to see an FPGA clone to reduce the clutter and have the Sega CD as an option (the 32x isn't as much of a big deal). The big thing is getting the sound right. A lot of these clones don't get that right... although I think the Sega Smash Pack for the Dreamcast had the biggest issues with sound in my experience.

So are you zooming in or are you stretching the content? Playing a LITTLE zoomed in (cutting off a few pixels on the top or bottom) isn't bad, but stretching to fill the whole screen makes my OCD itchy. I mean, Mario is a portly fellow, but he's not THAT fat. :lol:

Stretching. ;) It doesn't look stretched though, it's so crisp that it looks like it's being rendered in widescreen.

Sure, if you don't know how it's supposed to look lol lol lol

To each his own, I suppose

I despise black bars. Like I said, it doesn't look stretched: it looks crisp as if it's being rendered in 1080p. This is why I want an FPGA system for all the old systems, because the picture in widescreen is superior to anything I've seen in 4:3 on a CRT.

Yes but that's not relevant. Either your image is stretched out to 16:9 or you have lost a huge portion of the top and bottom of the screen (or some combination thereof). That's just how it works.

It is relevant, because you keep going in circles with this. I know what's it doing, but like I said... multiple times: it looks extremely clean, as if it was intended that way by the developers. I get it, you like black bars. I don't, and I have a device that renders a crisp enough image to where stretching the image doesn't detract from the artistic quality of the content presented.

Good day.