IGNORED

HSC15 Round 16: Hi-Res Games II - The September Tourney

Hi-Res Games II

OK Hold on to your pixellated hat's HSCers, September will be a Mega Extended Tourney Round :-o So Join in and try out the games. We'll thrash things out as we go along but here are some goodies to get started. I've probably gone a bit crazy here and will regret it when the scores come rolling in!

(McKong I think StarQuake is a bit long too play here so we'll do that next round, the Bertyx game Sikor suggested might make a nice bonus for that) Pong also moved to the next round.

Download the games from Fandal. Atarimania, Atarionline.pl or your favourite site.

Not all games have working XEX versions but here's, a couple of disk with most that do:

Disk 1: Choplifter, Galactic Patrol, Hard Hat Mack, Kult, Marauder

HSC15 R16 Hi-Res Games Disk 1.ATR

Disk 2v2: Inter Galleon Battle, Jawbreaker, Malpass the Asteroid Mines, Night Mission Pinball

HSC15 R16 Hi-Res Games Disk 2v2.ATR

XL/XE Fixed Lunar Leeper Lunar Leeper - fixed.atr thanks to Fandal :thumbsup:

The Games

threshold.pnglunar_leeper.pngmarauder_one.pngjawbreaker_3.pngnight_mission.pngchoplifter.pnghard_hat_mack.pngkult.png

Threshold The ATR version is best atarimania atarionline.pl fandal [space pause]

Lunar Leeper (OSB) Use the ATR version - see info below on using the OSB translator. (If the game ends after level 1 it is faulty). [Esc pause], land on the house thing to re-fuel. Try NOT shooting the leepers! Ahhh now you get it. Take the men to the side platforms. Wikipedia has info. Press [space] on the title screen to see High Score Table.

Marauder Fandal has this listed as Marauder One, Marauder Two is already part of the first game atarimania atarionline.pl [Any Key except Space is pause, maybe space does something?]

Night Mission Pinball players might want to start 4 games at once - that's how I play it! Use TWO joysticks - fire buttons on each like a proper pinball machine eh? Press Q to insert a credit and S to start so press each 4 times for 4 players.

Jaw Breaker Play the original version only (v3&4 have issues).

Choplifter (original version)

Hard Hat Mack the mono version of course! Play for screens completed as scoring is flawed. Press Space to drop the drill. [Esc pause] If anyone is really stuck press 1-3 then [start] to practise a level.

Kult A great shooter (PAL ONLY) Press [shift] for bombs. [select=pause, Start=resume] Does not show score at end of go (unless you have 20K and make it to the table :-o )

galactic_patrol.pnginter_galleon_battle.pngmalpass_the_asteroid_mines.png

Galactic Patrol

Inter Galleon Battle

All versions I can find seem to lock up on level 3 (3500 points) but on one go I did get it to work - possibly a type in so see if anyone can find the game in BASIC format or the listing? We will not include this game in the tables :(

Malpass the Asteroid Mines play on Intermediate. You are out if you lose all the bases. Bonus challenge on Pro!

Additional Info for Lunar Leeper
This game needs OS/B to run correctly - XL and XE users (also works on Altirra use 'File' 'Disk Drives' to switch ATRs) download this Translator (ATR) from Pokeysoft's site Disk U119b
Boot this then insert the lunar leeper disk/ATR and press select.post-19705-0-75747300-1313445774_thumb.p
The scoreboard and text now appear correctly... there is a little graphical corruption on the bottom right of the in game display but otherwise ok icon_smile.gif
homesoft seems to be the best looking version but it resets after the first stage! atarimania atarionline.pl fandal

Also works with the "ACE" Translator - press Start to boot disk and then press and hold Option when the screen is flashing (let go when it starts loading)

post-19705-0-06732800-1535828410.jpg

Emulator users shoule be able to set OSB somwhere - post if you need any help :thumbsup:

Scoring/Bonuses/Tables are on the 2nd post

If you just want to play the odd game here and there that's fine, join right in at any time. Have fun and let's hear your suggestions for a better title for the round, best one will get a precious bonus point :P

Yes you can play other versions with colours etc if you wish and... don't overheat those Phasers :D

Edited by therealbountybob
Fixed XL/XE Lunar Leeper
  • Like 2

Hi-Res Games II: The September Tourney

The Final Tables
Sorry to be so prescriptive but please post your scores in alphabetical order as this will make this easier for me!

Overall Tournament Points (real HSC points!)

1st McKong 63pts :thumbsup:

2nd therealbountybob 57
3rd Deteacher 56

3rd youxia 56

5th carlsson 37
6th slx 20
6th Sikor 20
8th RedThunder 15
9th zylon 7
10th jblenkle 2

Choplifter (3pt bonus for resucing all 60)
1st Deteacher 58 7
2nd McKong 57 6
3rd therealbountybob 44 5
4th slx 42 4
5th carlsson 32 3
6th youxia 32 2
7th jblenkle 23 2
8th RedThunder 22 1
9th Sikor 15 1

Galactic Patrol

1st McKong 3,650 7
2nd youxia 2,650 6
3rd Deteacher 1,800 5
4th therealbountybob 1,450 4
5th carlsson 1,150 3
6th RedThunder 400 2
7th Sikor 350 2

Hard Hat Mack (screen reached)
1st McKong 9 7
2nd Deteacher 8 6
3rd therealbountybob 5 5
4th youxia 2 4
5th slx 2 4
6th carlsson 1 2
7th Sikor 1 2
8th RedThunder 1 2

Inter Galleon Battle
1st Deteacher 35,300 7
2nd youxia 28,800 6
3rd McKong 21,400 5
4th therealbountybob 18,600 4
5th carlsson 13,800 3
6th RedThunder 3,500 2
7th Sikor 2,700 2
8th slx 2,000 1

Jaw Breaker
1st McKong 37,800 7
2nd therealbountybob 29,610 6
3rd carlsson 21,910 5
4th youxia 17,800 4
5th Deteacher 12,760 3
6th RedThunder 11,120 2
7th slx 4,960 2

Kult
1st Sikor 54,822 7
2nd youxia 46,468 6
3rd Deteacher 36,766 5
4th carlsson 36,142 4
5th therealbountybob 30,978 3
6th McKong 30,908 2
7th slx 2,754 2
8th RedThunder 876 1

Lunar Leeper
1st therealbountybob 81,580 7
2nd McKong 31,340 6
3rd youxia 19,300 5
4th carlsson 17,100 4
5th Deteacher 13,320 3

Malpass the Asteroid Mines (Intermediate)
1st therealbountybob 252,490 7
2nd youxia 75,250 6
3rd Deteacher 47,950 5
4th McKong 36,280 4
5th carlsson 29,190 3
6th Sikor 24,080 2
7th RedThunder 16,080 2
8th slx 8,620 1

Malpass the Asteroid Mines (Pro). 3pts top 2pts 2nd 1pt other places)
1st youxia 87,240 3
2nd McKong 25,080 2
3rd carlsson 19,380 1
4th therealbountybob 9,480 1
5th RedThunder 1,640 1

Marauder
1st McKong 146,900 7
2nd youxia 123,700 6
3rd therealbountybob 94,000 5
4th carlsson 89,000 4
5th Deteacher 79,200 3
6th Sikor 40,700 2
7th slx 37,400 2
8th RedThunder 25,400 1

Night Mission Pinball
1st therealbountybob 325,840 7
2nd Deteacher 271,730 6
3rd McKong 237,810 5
4th youxia 225,960 4
5th carlsson 217,840 3
6th slx 150,810 2
7th Sikor 113,450 2

Threshold

1st Zylon 93,600 7
2nd Deteacher 87,900 6
3rd McKong 75,900 5
6th youxia 65,100 4

4th therealbountybob 64,600 3
5th slx 59,400 2
7th carlsson 42,400 2
8th RedThunder 24,900 1

*Corrected* Final Tables!
  • Like 5

We need to make sure that we have turned on artifacting for hi-res games in the emulator to get color, right?

Also, Autoduel is an RPG. I think it takes a long time to get anywhere, plus (in my limited experience with it), it's hard.

Marauder is just one game. You have to play the first part to gain access to the second part. However, I'm pretty sure that the archived version of this game is broken into parts one and two. I don't think it worked that way on the original disk release. My friend and I reviewed Marauder for the Atari 2600 back in 2011. That version only has half of the game. You can read that article (which is related to the Atari home computer version) on the OC&GS website, here:

http://www.orphanedgames.com/articles/Marauder_Review/Marauder_Review%20%28Atari%202600%29.html

Hard Hat Mack was on my very first disk of copied programs in 1984 for the my Commodore 64. Even though the game isn't among my favorites, I'll always have fond memories of this Electronic Arts title.

Jawbreaker is a wonderful game on the Atari, but it's a very rare game that is even better on the Atari 2600.

Adam

The links to Cellar Terror and Firesufi point to the same game. Furthermore, I don't find any game called Firesufi neither on Fandal, Atarimania nor Atarionline. Typo? Did you mean Fire Fox?

Moved post #2 here - trbb

Ok, first round of "see if this thing works" scores:

Choplifter - 10 saved, level 1 (this game has no score per se)
Hard Hat Mack - 250 pts
Jawbreaker 1 - 7110 pts
Jawbreaker 2 - 7700 pts
Jawbreaker 3 - Didn't load from my SIO2SD?
Jawbreaker 4 - 24250 pts (seems buggy, if you eat all monsters on one level you can take your time to clear rest of the maze)
Kult - 3844 pts
Lunar Leeper - 13160 pts?? (seems buggy, appeared like game over when it moved to second part)
Marauder One - 35200 pts
Marauder Two - 27000 pts
Night Mission Pinball - 205250 pts (seems to require fire buttons on both joystick ports, weird controls)
Pong [Mirage Software] - 525 pts (doesn't display last/higest score after you died)
Threshold - 24800 pts
Bonus games:
Acrobat - 3426 pts
Cellar Terror - 59 pts
Galactic Patrol - 1150 pts
Since those scores are so low, I didn't bother to upload screenshots this time around, will do later on in case I increase any personal scores.
Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Wow Carlsson, what a busy night! Out early this morning so just a quick warm-up in Threshold at 11700 (Altirra, NTSC, arrow keys).

I think Night Mission uses two joysticks so you can have the real flipper feeling. IIRC there even was a tilt function.

post-4219-0-12696400-1535425212_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

To be honest, I invested between 3 and 14 minutes per game (*) during that first playthrough. Although the SIO2SD is relatively fast, I may have spent as much time selecting images and loading games as playing them.

(*) I write down my exact amount of play time in order to submit it to the tracker at the end of the week.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Though HHM in lowres with real colours instead of relying on NTSC artifacting on CRT monitors doesn't make it a hires game anymore. :) The same goes for a couple more in this round, including my suggestion Night Mission Pinball which actually can be togged between hires with artifacting or lowres which makes it look plain ugly. I understand the other hires games with very thin lines and patterns, would cause unwanted artifacting on a NTSC CRT?

Edited by carlsson

Not had time to read any of the posts yet, please all see the first post for the latest also has ATRs with several of the games on. Probably you will be pleased to see less games. I've removed some that didn't meet the spec, were too long to play or terrible though there may still be a couple... still flexible about the line up :)

So basically Autoduel, Acrobat, Cellar Terror and Inwazja were removed, plus that we no longer play the second part of Marauder standalone, only in case we finish the first part of the same game?

Yes yes and yes. Marauder Two - I think it's part of the full game and was hacked out to make it a standalone game :)

Hard Hat Mack - 4400

Threshold - 30500

If the rest is as good as these two this is going to be a FUN round. HHM is an insta classic, I love this Chuckie Egg/Miner 2049er design style. And Threshold, just wow - so simple and yet so clever.

Glad you are enjoying them :thumbsup:

Just wish HHM had more screens. I don't know Pong or the "quick" plays but the others are solid Good to Greats. Somehow one General Masters game survived the cut! We like to have one HSC punishment game in these tourney rounds but let's not pre judge it eh :-o

As I plough through the games there might be some other bonus challenges etc for extra points.

Ok, two more introductionary scores:

Inter Galleon Battle - 2800 pts, then it freezes on my 130XE. Perhaps this one also needs Translator?

Malpass the Asteroid Mines - 25100 pts on Novice. It has three more difficulty levels: Intermediate, Expert and Pro for those who are better at Defender than I am.

I played Lunar Leeper through the Translator. It behaves better, but it appears to freeze completely at the end of the game. Then all of a sudden is back to the title page again, so I suppose that is just another way of saying "Game over" by freezing for some 10-15 seconds.

Lunar Leeper - 16400 pts

Edit: Nope, running Translator doesn't fix Inter Galleon Battle for me. On second level it freezes after a while.

Edited by carlsson

Improved Threshold to 59400. Most levels seemed familiar but I couldn't remember the colours changing.

A meagre 4960 at Jawbreaker 1 (those 4 should not be counted individually lest we "suck at maze gobblers" are gravely disadvantaged....

post-4219-0-71145500-1535493453_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Ok, two more introductionary scores:

Inter Galleon Battle - 2800 pts, then it freezes on my 130XE. Perhaps this one also needs Translator?

Malpass the Asteroid Mines - 25100 pts on Novice. It has three more difficulty levels: Intermediate, Expert and Pro for those who are better at Defender than I am.

I played Lunar Leeper through the Translator. It behaves better, but it appears to freeze completely at the end of the game. Then all of a sudden is back to the title page again, so I suppose that is just another way of saying "Game over" by freezing for some 10-15 seconds.

Lunar Leeper - 16400 pts

Edit: Nope, running Translator doesn't fix Inter Galleon Battle for me. On second level it freezes after a while.

Lunar Leeper has multiple levels - use an ATR version from Atarionline.pl along with the OSB Translator: Pokeysoft' Disk U119b . I've changed the link on the first post (I thought Fandal might have fixed the file version but perhaps not).

I.G.B. might need OSA translator I'll check it out when I hit the games :thumbsup:

So what's the deal with "hi res" here? Are those games really in higher resolution than normal Atari ones?

They use a "normal" resolution but the highest the Atari has to offer with 320 horizontal pixels but only two brightness levels of the same color (unless you consider "extra" colors caused by artifacting which require an Emulator or CRT to see and are different for PAL and NTSC machines). Due to the lack of color they are not as commonly used for games as the 160 pixel 4-colour-modes.

• Like 2