IGNORED

HSC15 Round 16: Hi-Res Games II - The September Tourney

Shoot it for long time.

No, I never trash my Atari :D

:!: you know what I meant :evil:

OK I've removed the other Jawbreakers as 3 doesn't run and 4 has issues, 2 looks ok but we have enough going on. I've added a Team challenge to the tables (not updated) on the 2nd post. Jawbreaker, Night Mission Pinball and Choplifter will each have a team bonus for the total score for all players on each team (as well as being regular games in the tourney)

post-19705-0-79140700-1535916057.jpg

Confirmed Fanda's file version of Lunar Leeper is incomplete so use ATR as detailed on 1st post.

Jawbreaker 12,800

Kult - I got to the 1st boss but the score was off screen before I saw it :twisted:

Malpass the Asteriod Mines - play on Intermediate, bonus on Pro this one has some potential :thumbsup:

Inter: 27,840 Pro 3640

post-19705-0-56723800-1535916040_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-75862300-1535916074.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, so the two special HSC ATR:s for all games except for Night Mission Pinball and Threshold, which we download separately linked versions of? The first post is starting to become cluttered...

:thumbsup:

Threshold and Lunar Leeper are ATR only - I've re-posted disk 2, now has a file version of Night Mission Pinball - the full ATR of Night Mission has the customisation screen but we don't need that for this round. It should be becoming less cluttered as I've removed loads of games... but it's not :D I've removed some of the text now!

IIRC Choplifter has a perfect score of 64 (all hostages saved) and ends thereafter, so if several people manage that it could create a tie.

If anyone does that I'll be impressed :-o and forced to issue a bonus point

Malpass: 22,260

We're playing Malpass on Intermediate -press select (the letter after the score indicates the level) unless you think on NTSC inter will be less enjoyable for most people? - let me know if so thanks :)

• Like 1

Choplifter: 58!

post-9712-0-26021600-1536181449.png

Here's a tip that will GREATLY improve your score: If you fly low to the ground (just a couple scanlines above the green) and have your chopper facing you (so you're flying sideways) the enemy planes can't shoot you down. Fly full speed and their rockets will just miss you every time. Also seems to help avoid the satellites too!

• Like 1

Interesting about Choplifter - it's kinda fun taking on the planes directly!

Threshold 46,100

Choplifter 28

Lunar Leeper 20,700 made it to 10th spot on the saved table, plenty of time to get Into this one again. Had a strange one where I got caught somehow on the last rescue but didn't die, just disappeared and another leeper came over then the two of them started jumping up and down mocking me - the stick movements still effected the display but I had to reboot.

Jawbreaker 23,890

Malpass 27,710 Inter and 9,480 on Pro - what I like about the HSC is even though I've been runnig this for 10 years or so here is another good game that I'd never heard of. Not up there with the best but it has a good urgency and sense of tension about it as you try and save the little cities/mines/thingies on the ground . Some great use of the use of artifacting here too. You can sometimes lose a ship in the transition between levels not sure about that "feature"!

Night Mission Pinball a rusty first go, well 4 goes as I play 4 at a time, also I really need to service my buttons as they are all dodgy! 93,110 was my best go, didn't even manage to cleat the first set of letters across the top.

post-19705-0-78710200-1536183325.jpg

post-19705-0-36090200-1536183340.jpg

post-19705-0-88318100-1536183348.jpg

post-19705-0-00366100-1536183362.jpg

post-19705-0-34105700-1536183371.jpg

post-19705-0-43748200-1536183392.jpg

post-19705-0-12113900-1536183401.jpg

• Like 1

Some scores. I'm pretty sure I can beat those so no scr$ for now.

Threshold - 44900
Inter Galleon - 13200
Jawbreaker - 8430
Lunar Leeper - 16900
Marauder - 89400
Malpass - 25640
Malpass Pro - 40020

Choplifter - 29

I can't get over the genius of Threshold, if it was a modern indie it'd be winning design awards left, right and centre. The interplay between heat, fuel and clever enemy patterns is incredible. Inter Galleon and LL are also interesting though a bit BASIC, code - wise. Or maybe it's my emulation showing up? Well, Galleon I think is coded start-stop way but LL has some gfx glitches. Also Malpass feels a bit jerky, is it like that on original machines or maybe something to do with PAL/NTSC? Great game btw... turn-based Defender? :D Not sure how I got bigger score on pro, it's somewhat more intense and...easier :)

Marauder is another hit, timeless gameplay on single-screen design.

Overall, some superb games here. As usual, that makes me feel sorry for the folk who never go out of their SNES/MD/NES/etc comfort zone and lose out :)

How long is this round anyway? Whole month?

• Like 2

Regarding Kult, it seems you get more rapid fire on each type of weapon, up to a level of max 3 on each. Then it decays over time or something. There is also the fuel. What the thing in the lower right is for, I haven't figured. Do you get bonus points after clearing a level based on how many of those in the bottom right you have picked up?

Some scores. I'm pretty sure I can beat those so no scr$ for now.

Overall, some superb games here. As usual, that makes me feel sorry for the folk who never go out of their SNES/MD/NES/etc comfort zone and lose out :)

How long is this round anyway? Whole month?

Glad you are enjoying the games, seems we have a pretty good selection for a change! Yes the round will run for the whole calendar month, that should give me time to fix my joysticks and get to screen 3 on HHM :D I'll put some tables up later on :-o

Regarding Kult, it seems you get more rapid fire on each type of weapon, up to a level of max 3 on each. Then it decays over time or something. There is also the fuel. What the thing in the lower right is for, I haven't figured. Do you get bonus points after clearing a level based on how many of those in the bottom right you have picked up?

Whatever weapon you are using degrades by one when you're destroyed.

The bottom right-hand box (with the counter) is the bonus counter. Each box collected is worth 1,000 bonus points after you defeat the boss for that level.

Kult: 36,766!

post-9712-0-35072300-1536353452.png

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 2

OK the first tables are up and running :-o they will stay on Post #2 for the round.

They are probably not complete but give an idea of the scoring.

Please do not edit scores in posts before this one!

please post your scores in alphabetical order this will make it easier for me, ideally highlight improvements or errors in the scores in bold if you can :cool:

• Like 1

Mama, just killed a ... space frog? Put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger, now he's dead...

Kult - 36142 pts

post-5454-0-94267300-1536364827.jpg

I can't recall if it has been mentioned, but you have up to 4 smart bombs which are triggered with the shift button. It will wipe out the current attack wave, and leave you with the goodies to pick up. Some of the goodies will replenish your smart bombs, so used wisely you can get rid of quite a few of the attack waves that way. Unfortunately the smart bombs have no impact on the final boss.

• Like 1