IGNORED

Streets of Rage 4

derFunkenstein

Had this a little while and wanted to hold off until i had completed it before commenting. 

A valiant effort and much better fun to play than MD SOR III, but the 2006 (?) PC SOR Remake had much more impact than this. 

The new visuals look over the top, too stylish? 

Game lacks the seedy feel SOR nailed, none of the set pieces matched the atmosphere of a seedy back alley fight with a barman in the pouring rain or taking on a biker gang on a bridge. 

The new music was very hit and miss. 

What i really missed were the deep, gutaral character voices, when they pulled off special moves and the satisfying crunch of weapons like the pipe hitting flesh and bone. 

Took too it more than the Toki remake, which i found a little too slow and laborious, but not a title that really stood out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got my copy of the fake Genesis version from LRG a few minutes ago. It's way bigger than a real Genesis/MD box, and it's almost the size of a Neo Geo AES box! Naturally, the box is broken at the corner, just like a real Genesis/MD box would be if you dropped it on the corner. I'll play it later. I still need to play the entire rest of the series as it is.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

16 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I got my copy of the fake Genesis version from LRG a few minutes ago. It's way bigger than a real Genesis/MD box, and it's almost the size of a Neo Geo AES box! Naturally, the box is broken at the corner, just like a real Genesis/MD box would be if you dropped it on the corner. I'll play it later. I still need to play the entire rest of the series as it is.

Wow, I'm surprised they didn't get the box size correct!

6 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Wow, I'm surprised they didn't get the box size correct!

I believe they did it that way so that the Switch or PS4 game case fits inside.  But I have seen other complaints about it, since it doesn't fit in on a shelf with SoR 1-3 etc.

I guess I'm ok with it, but I wish they would have made it very clear it was an oversized Genesis style box at the start.

• 3 months later...

So, after oh so much ado, and patience, and yes, back in MARCH, $....

My big much awaited treat arrived today:

1462954320_SoR4LRGall.thumb.jpg.6144b0761f9876107b4880237b87d03c.jpg1201172284_SoR4LRG2.thumb.jpg.23c112000cd845dcbeda1ebd13d70d87.jpg712134756_SoR4LRG3.thumb.jpg.8fed0e1e102fc30a48e966c612e7de5b.jpg1933299391_SoR4LRGStatue.thumb.jpg.7b9c010df6cc8286a9c4488500eab129.jpg

My pics are awful, I'm a terrible photographer.

But this was the "big" box deal (not quite the ultimate one, which included the Vinyl records of the soundtrack).

It has:

The SoR 4 Statue

Soundtrack on CD

Genesis (correct original size) case containing:

A stamped Metal cartridge that has to weigh several pounds, it's hefty

Turkey Stress Ball

Art Book

Large oversized Genesis style case that contains:

1. The Switch case with reversible cover, containing a full color instruction manual, and the game cartridge with color label

2.  Steelbook Switch case

Poster for the game

Trading card for the game with shiny reflective border (not shown, couldn't get a good pic).

Just love it, so glad I spent the $ on it frankly.  Mostly, since I totally love the game.  I would put it very high up there but not quite as good as the SoR Remake personally; I would have it in a tie with SoR 2 as the 2nd best of the series, followed by SoR 3 and then the original.

Sure, I wish the poster had been rolled instead of folded into squares (not sure how I'll rectify that if I get to framing it).  If I have to nitpick, I personally would have gone with this as a 32X release case / oversized case, due to the timing (though I know the Genny is much more nostalgia inducing for most people).  But that's just silly stuff.  it's a great, great set and my only regret is not going for the Vinyl set as well (as I'm kind of a vinyl nut now).  But maybe I'll get that later.

Took FOREVER, but was well worth it.  Partly due to how great the set is, and partly because the game actually turned out to prove the hype.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

New awesome looking and free DLC coming:

Apart from the expected playable Estel, reports are that there will be at least two other new playables.  Loving the look of the new (and old) stages they're showing here, looks wonderful.  Now GIMME. :)  

Edited to strikethrough the "and free" above.  Got misinformation, this will not be free, we gots to pay.  But I am not worried about that personally, I just want it asap :)

Edited by Curious Sofa
Edited to strikethrough the "and free" above.  Got misinformation, this will not be free, we gots to pay.

23 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

i'm mad the physical is now incomplete. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. definitely won't be supporting this developer on anything they do in the future even though this game is AMAZING.

Hmm.  I would think that if you DL the DLC when it comes out, that your physical cart would match up to the DLC in your (PS4 or Switch) internal memory and you would still have a "complete" game.  I could be wrong on this, but I don't see it as making your cart / card / disc incomplete.

I will take your advice re: the poster, thanks!

On 4/15/2021 at 12:05 PM, Curious Sofa said:

Hmm.  I would think that if you DL the DLC when it comes out, that your physical cart would match up to the DLC in your (PS4 or Switch) internal memory and you would still have a "complete" game.  I could be wrong on this, but I don't see it as making your cart / card / disc incomplete.

I will take your advice re: the poster, thanks!

It does, physically speaking, because it's not like there's a re-writable chip within that switch card there.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

i'm mad the physical is now incomplete. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. definitely won't be supporting this developer on anything they do in the future even though this game is AMAZING.

So what's the solution? Never add any additional content to a game? I'd rather support the developer of an amazing game. DLC is part of the game development economy in this era, developers need it. Maybe later on there'll be a deluxe physical edition with the DLC content, but then they'll be accused of "forcing" people to re-purchase the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So what's the solution? Never add any additional content to a game? I'd rather support the developer of an amazing game. DLC is part of the game development economy in this era, developers need it. Maybe later on there'll be a deluxe physical edition with the DLC content, but then they'll be accused of "forcing" people to re-purchase the game.

Nintendo has been doing business like this for many years and I’m sure most people still support them. How many times have you repurchased one of their games?? I know I’m guilty.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just an update to note that the new and super huge DLC pack is coming 7/15.  It contains playable Shiva, Estel, and Max, tons of new modes, food, weapons, stages.

And the best news, it's going to be only $8!

https://www.pcgamer.com/streets-of-rage-4s-first-major-dlc-arrives-july-15-lets-you-whack-goons-with-a-swordfish/

Commenters online are already outraged at how INEXPENSIVE the DLC pack is for what you're getting.  Really puts those "$4.99 for a virtual hat" DLC scammers to shame.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 12:48 PM, Curious Sofa said:

Just an update to note that the new and super huge DLC pack is coming 7/15.  It contains playable Shiva, Estel, and Max, tons of new modes, food, weapons, stages.

And the best news, it's going to be only $8!

https://www.pcgamer.com/streets-of-rage-4s-first-major-dlc-arrives-july-15-lets-you-whack-goons-with-a-swordfish/

Commenters online are already outraged at how INEXPENSIVE the DLC pack is for what you're getting.  Really puts those "$4.99 for a virtual hat" DLC scammers to shame.

I'm pretty excited, too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Switch DLC is out now, I got mine day before yesterday (and it was on sale, which is pretty funny considering it's a LOT of content for $8, much less for 6.79 on sale).

Have kicked it around a bit - enjoying it quite a bit.  The Survival mode really does freshen up the game, with the randomizing factors.  Very good stuff.  Same for the choice of four color sets for the SoR4 characters.  Slightly burnt that they didn't offer color options for the older characters (as a Zan man, I got to give points to SoR Remake for this...), because well, why wouldn't you?  Seems so easy to do...

But whatever.  Again you get a ton of new choices and they're lots of fun.  I have played a fair bit with Estel and I do like her.  Lots of power, and decent speed and ability to cover distance.  Her Star Move seems weak to me but maybe I'm not using it well.  I play a lot of Max from my SoR2 days; he's freaking awesome.  Especially in Random Survival mode with some buffs, he's just a monster.  Haven't tried Shiva as cool as he looks - I don't do great with fast / light hitting characters unfortunately.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Switch DLC is out now, I got mine day before yesterday (and it was on sale, which is pretty funny considering it's a LOT of content for $8, much less for 6.79 on sale).

Have kicked it around a bit - enjoying it quite a bit.  The Survival mode really does freshen up the game, with the randomizing factors.  Very good stuff.  Same for the choice of four color sets for the SoR4 characters.  Slightly burnt that they didn't offer color options for the older characters (as a Zan man, I got to give points to SoR Remake for this...), because well, why wouldn't you?  Seems so easy to do...

But whatever.  Again you get a ton of new choices and they're lots of fun.  I have played a fair bit with Estel and I do like her.  Lots of power, and decent speed and ability to cover distance.  Her Star Move seems weak to me but maybe I'm not using it well.  I play a lot of Max from my SoR2 days; he's freaking awesome.  Especially in Random Survival mode with some buffs, he's just a monster.  Haven't tried Shiva as cool as he looks - I don't do great with fast / light hitting characters unfortunately.

I've been playing it on the XBox.  Estel is absolutely nuts with her attacks and power.  Shiva hits fast, hard, and a lot, but he's pretty wimpy defense-wise.  :)  

SoR1 Blaze is the character I've gotten the furthest in Survival Mode with.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...