IGNORED

Help With PCMCIA to CF Adapter

christo930

I am trying to use a PCMCIA CF adapter with my 1200 and I can't get it working. It's a sandisk adapter and a Sandisk CF card and a Lexmark CF card, both 128MB

I installed the CF adapter software from aminet and the win95 FS from aminet. The compact.device file is in the dev drive/folder and the win95 file is in the l folder. I have a button on the desktop that is supposed to mount the CF drive as CF0: and it doesn't work. I tried mounting from the CLI and I got an error about mount file. After clicking that mounting gadget, if I try to go to There is nothing in the LHA file about a mounting cfg file. There is a file there, but it has CD information in it because it has a SCSI card with a CDrom drive hooked up.

Is there anyone who can help?

Also, since you are getting an error about your mountfile, can you post it?

I ran the reset program from the command line and initially it didn't do anything. Then just randomly playing with it (though after running both of the recommended files) it started working. Sometimes I have to run the mount icon several times or eject and reinsert the CF card, but it seems to be working.

As for the mount file, there isn't one. That was what it was complaining about when I just typed mount cf0: at the CLI. The icon didn't give any errors.

There is still no mount file for this, though I think there is a general mount file that has a CD entry.

I dumped a bunch of HD games that rely on WHDload (which is installed on the 1200) from my virtual Amiga on PC and they all give errors. EDIT: What I mean by that is I simply copies the folders from my PC HD to a CF card and then when I try to run them on the 1200, there are various errors. I did download and unlha the sysinfo utility onto that card and it works fine. I don't know if there are dependencies that aren't installed on the 1200 (I am by no means an Amiga expert).

Thanks for the help!

Edited by christo930

Can you try the CF without the expansion board installed? If it works then I would guess that the issue is with 3.1 and having more than 4 megs of fast ram.

It appears to be working now. I have no idea what fixed it. I did run two programs linked above that are supposed to be installed (I didn't install them, I ran them once) and after a bunch of just clicking and ejecting and so on and it finally worked. I have powercycled the machine several times and it appears to be working, though there are some HD games that I dumped onto the CF card that won't work and I'm not sure why.

Taking the card out would be a major project that I just don't have the time to do. If it hadn't worked, I would have just used the CD. The problem is that it won't recognize LFN or CD-RW discs. So I would have to compress everything to preserve the LFN, burn it to CD, decompress to the HD. Each time, that CD is used.

The 8MB ram problem should only show up when using plain 8MB ram expansion in A1200. When ram is part of the 030 accelerator then it should be fine. I have 030 with 64mb ram and the PCMCIA port works fine.

The best and sure way to transfer the files from PC to Amiga is to compress them using LHA or ZIP, then copy that file to the CF card and decompress it on Amiga. This way all file attributes will be preserved.