IGNORED

Two New Homebrew LCD Games (Game & Watch)

trevorjay

On 7/3/2021 at 1:32 PM, Tanooki said:

This reminds me of this old gem of a site, sadly stuck in the land of lame flash player so not sure it'll work well anymore with much.

http://pica-pic.com/

Also for decades now Madrigal has been doing G&W/Segmented LCD style games among others.

Both sites definitely played a role in developing this obsession. : ) If you haven’t been to the simulator site in awhile, you should definitely check out Ryan Claytor’s excellent Game and Cast podcast. He interviews MADrigal among several other devs and collectors and has some truly excellent reviews.

Pica pic for me annoyingly doesn't work anymore since it's stuck in the flash stoneage.  I don't have time for the simulators much anymore so I don't follow it, but I knew madrigal never quit.  I recently read up the site once more, was nice seeing some old game & watches being done, then annoyed to find it was android not iOS, I'd have paid for that to pop up on my phone.

On 7/9/2021 at 4:46 PM, trevorjay said:

SLYT: Bride on the New Game & Watch

It took me awhile to get together everything I needed to unlock and flash my 2020 Game & Watch but I have to say that this is just incredible work. Every game I've tried has worked flawlessly with the ported emulator. The practically instant on experience is fantastic and something really is recaptured by playing these games at their original size and form factor.

The shrinker is especially impressive, including major tweaks and optimisations for practically every game it recognises (including "Bride")! @brice the community truly owes you for such amazing preservation efforts.

I can't say how much I appreciate you for adding "Bride" to the list of titles supported by the shrinker. To see it nestled between "Balloon Fight" and "Crab Grab" is surreal in the best way. If there's anything we can do to support what you're doing, please let us know!

Great ! It's really great that you can enjoy playing Bride on this device.

I have been requested to write a tutorial to explain LCD-Game-Shrinker usage. I don't know yet how to proceed...

Eventually, can I use 'bride' to illustrate it ?

Is there a link to 'Bride' archive file or can I copy it on github ?

Brice

Edited by brice

4 hours ago, brice said:

Great ! It's really great that you can enjoy playing Bride on this device.

I have been requested to write a tutorial to explain LCD-Game-Shrinker usage. I don't know yet how to proceed...

Eventually, can I use 'bride' to illustrate it ?

Is there a link to 'Bride' archive file or can I copy it on github ?

Brice

We’d be super happy for you to use “Bride” as an example/illustration in your tutorial and you can copy it to your GitHub. That is probably the easiest option for people following along. We’re happy to provide high res “clean” art and with the tutorial itself if you need beta users/readers.

If you could mention https://montrose.is and maybe this thread somewhere that would be great, but mentioning it in any licensing info is all you really need to do.

_Trevor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is amazing! One of the most original and incredible things that I have seen, congratulations, and thank you very much!

I wonder if anyone could upload the roms already converted. I am having trouble when using the Shrinker script, and other people that I know have also tried without success (it seems that we get an error in the art processing). I know that asking for roms is not possible, but please notice that in this case we are talking about a free rom that has already been uploaded by their creators in this same thread; I am only asking for someone who managed to translate the games to the proper format, to upload them in that other format to be able to play them. Thank you very much in advance!

8 hours ago, hcfcoder said:

I wonder if anyone could upload the roms already converted.

The attached zip file should contain the pre-shrunken "Bride.gw". For anyone else that might run into the same issue:

1) Download `bride.zip` from the OP as per usual.
2) Extract it and find the two `gnw_dkjr.zip` files inside `bride/art` and `bride/roms` respectively. 
3) Copy each of these to the shrinker's `input/artwork` and `input/rom` folders as appropriate.
4) Rename both `.zip`s `gnw_bride.zip`.
4) Run 'shrink_it.py' as usual.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Bride.zip

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trevorjay said:

The attached zip file should contain the pre-shrunken "Bride.gw". For anyone else that might run into the same issue:

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Bride.zip 37.21 kB · 2 downloads

It works! Thank you very much!!! ?

If it is not much effort, maybe you could consider uploading also de second game in this same format?

Thank you very much in advance

On 10/15/2021 at 12:35 AM, hcfcoder said:

If it is not much effort, maybe you could consider uploading also de second game in this same format?

For perhaps obvious reasons, the shrinker doesn't officially provide a config for "Squeeze". It'll be some time before I can circle back to this project enough to write one, but I'll see what I can do.

Edited by trevorjay

On 10/18/2021 at 7:28 AM, trevorjay said:

For perhaps obvious reasons, the shrinker doesn't officially provide a config for "Squeeze". It'll be some time before I can circle back to this project enough to write one, but I'll see what I can do.

No worries, thank you very much anyways for your great work! ?

• 2 months later...

I've been working on a Game & Watch (sm5a/510/511/512) emulator for a couple months for Gameboy Advance. It's far from ready to be shared, but it can run a handful of sm510 games without issues (or sound). Bride has been a great resource to help me understand the architecture and debug my emulator. Thank you very much, trevorjay and kittyhawk.

I've attached a gba rom with my emulator (which I'm tentatively calling Game & Boy) packed with Bride. Enjoy.

bride.gba

Edited by lamb-duh
fixed version of the rom that works on visualboy-m
  • Like 3

On 10/18/2021 at 7:28 AM, trevorjay said:

Hello

I would like to share the slight mods I've done to get "Babe & Watch : Squeeze" to work on G&W LCD-Game-Emulator by bzhxx for retro-go.

You'll find the modded/added files for LCD-Game-Shrinker , and the resulting .gw file in the attached archive.

Btw, not sure if RTC/G&W correctly gets in sync. I haven't checked that. You tell me.

This game is a gem!  Thanks for publishing it :)

Regards,

larsen

EDIT 2022-01-22: Fixed RTC sync for both games. Enjoy!

Babe&Watch_-_Squeeze_[retro-go_GW_format-RTC fix].zip Babe&Watch_-_Bride_[RTC fix].zip

Edited by larsen83
updated gw roms
  • Like 3

On 1/16/2022 at 11:56 PM, larsen83 said:

You'll find the modded/added files for LCD-Game-Shrinker , and the resulting .gw file in the attached archive.

Oh wow! I'll have to get reflash my New Game & Watch sometime this week. I'll try to take some video or at least pictures. Thanks for this and double for sharing.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:18 AM, lamb-duh said:

I've attached a gba rom with my emulator (which I'm tentatively calling Game & Boy) packed with Bride. Enjoy.

I am enjoying! This is already a really smooth experience. I can't wait to see this develop further. Thanks for integrating Bride into the early development. It's a gas to see it on the GBA.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/9/2021 at 11:12 PM, Tanooki said:

Pica pic for me annoyingly doesn't work anymore since it's stuck in the flash stoneage.  I don't have time for the simulators much anymore so I don't follow it, but I knew madrigal never quit.  I recently read up the site once more, was nice seeing some old game & watches being done, then annoyed to find it was android not iOS, I'd have paid for that to pop up on my phone.

You can play many games on https://www.franckx-design.be/joeri/play_g_w.html

• Thanks 1