IGNORED

1050 Bi-Colour LED Resistors

Nezgar

I like the idea of this, but any chance you or anyone has installed this in a drive, and can post installation pictures? It would add some extra confidence for the novice here for success seeing real pictures before I shell out the minimum $20 to to order 1 part from digikey.

I never installed this switch/LED combo, I already have 3 Happy 1050 drives with controller, but the schematic is correct. The switch just connects a logic input to ground just like the write protect photosensor does, and the contacts for the LEDs are independent of the switch operation.

In post 21 I showed an image of where the switch should fit based on the datasheet, it is about the same width as the power LED and shorter from the base of the toggle lever.

This particular switch isn't needed to make this modification, it's just that it is the only one I found that fits and doesn't require visible modification of the 1050 faceplate. I did find another similar switch that was actually too small for this application, finding that switch that led me to this one.

Digikey Canada doesn't have a minimum order, but do have an $8.00 shipping charge if the order is under $100.00

Edited by BillC

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I have spent some time working on a PCB to help with installing a write protect bypass switch.

I used the information from post # 25 from @BillC.

I've installed this board into several 1050s. The modification works great.

Attached are some images of the modification installed. I use Dupont breadboard wire to connect the board to the switch and LEDs to the front panel for easy disassembly for drive maintenance (head cleaning).

I use a On-Off-On switch and two LEDs. This could be reduced to a single bi-color LED if desired.

I remove the jumper for JP7. I install two single 90 degree header pins at JP7 and JP6. 

I've used various color LEDs, and I've determined that a higher value resistor, such as 3.3K ohm works the best.

Gerber files are attached. I've used PCBWay and you can get 5 to 10 PCBs made for 5 dollars, plus shipping.

If your new to PCBWay, use this link to open a new account, and get 5 dollars off your first order. "https://www.pcbway.com/setinvite.aspx?inviteid=332340".

Regards,

Marshall

2335396064483.png

2335397001836.png

20220125_154719.jpg

20220125_154713.jpg

20220125_154703.jpg

20220125_154046.jpg

20220125_154030.jpg

Atari 1050 Write Protect Bypass Gerber.zip

5 hours ago, SpicyChronos said:

I have spent some time working on a PCB to help with installing a write protect bypass switch.

I used the information from post # 25 from @BillC.

I've installed this board into several 1050s. The modification works great.

I'm happy my post was useful to you but your circuit is a bit of overkill as adding a 74LS02 wasn't necessary, U11/74LS02 is part of the 1050 circuitry. Only the SPDT-CO switch, LED(s), 2 resistors plus wires are the only parts needed, post #23 shows the original schematic before modification.

Edit: After looking at the image of the PCB I now understand that U11 moves to the board which plugs into the U11 socket via a header, the only issue I see is that this likely won't fit in a 1050 with a Happy/Super Archiver/similar upgrade.

Edited by BillC