IGNORED

Compute! Apple Applications magazine. Anyone have?

CaptainBreakout

On 4/25/2020 at 12:58 AM, Iamgroot said:

Where is your utilities folder, J.S.?  I see a few utilities with your name behind it.  A calculator, fractal sketcher.

Do you have a disk of those?

Yeah, I have those too, but haven't uploaded them yet. I didn't think there'd be much interest in these, but I guess I'm wrong.  I'll try to get them available soon. 

There's also one called Picture Maker, which if I recall correctly is something like MS-Paint.  It  appeared in volume 5, #5, Spring/summer 1987 edition of Compute!'s Apple Application. Unfortunately I was never sent a courtesy copy from the publisher and never did find it on the newsstand.  I'd give my eye teeth  for a copy now. (Well not really, but I would pay a reasonable amount.  I also have a couple Nibble magazines I could trade for it.)

3 hours ago, bikibird said:

Yeah, I have those too, but haven't uploaded them yet. I didn't think there'd be much interest in these, but I guess I'm wrong.  I'll try to get them available soon. 

There's also one called Picture Maker, which if I recall correctly is something like MS-Paint.  It  appeared in volume 5, #5, Spring/summer 1987 edition of Compute!'s Apple Application. Unfortunately I was never sent a courtesy copy from the publisher and never did find it on the newsstand.  I'd give my eye teeth  for a copy now. (Well not really, but I would pay a reasonable amount.  I also have a couple Nibble magazines I could trade for it.)

What I was looking for was the source for the calculator with hopefully very good notes.  :)

This is what I have done with your calculator program so far, but I broke some of the buttons.

The idea is to have any numbers entered to print out on the printer, and have the printer paper scroll up each time a function or calculation is required.  That way one can keep a running tally of what was entered.  And even save all the entries to a text file.

It is mouse controlled, which is working very nicely.  The printer can be turned on and off.  The "2nd" and "HexDecBin" buttons work, but the "Degrees/Radians/Gradians" button doesn't.  And a few of the scientific buttons don't.  Having the source would save quite a bit of work.

BTW, I have a Compute magazine with Picture Maker.  It is not mint and the cover pages are faded, but there are no ripped pages.  I have the .pdf for it as well, so I can use that to read or type in the articles.  I would just send it to you since I have no use for it as I don't consider it a keep-sake or of any value.

calculator1.png

calculator2.png

calculator3.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Iamgroot said:

What I was looking for was the source for the calculator with hopefully very good notes.  :)

This is what I have done with your calculator program so far, but I broke some of the buttons.

BTW, I have a Compute magazine with Picture Maker.  It is not mint and the cover pages are faded, but there are no ripped pages.  I have the .pdf for it as well, so I can use that to read or type in the articles.  I would just send it to you since I have no use for it as I don't consider it a keep-sake or of any value.

Wow, your calculator looks great.  I'll see what I can do about digging up the source code.  It is amazing to me that something I made over 30 years ago is still useful to folks.

I'll PM you about the magazine.  Definitely interested in it.

On 5/6/2020 at 3:51 PM, bikibird said:

@Iamgroot, ask and you shall receive: https://github.com/bikibird/AppleIICalculator.   The source code is included and heavily commented.  Whether this constitutes "very good notes" is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks!  The labels are just as informative as the comments.  It helps out a lot.

Did you get my reply?  Is the magazine what you were looking for?

I'd like to put the word out there that I'm looking for more information on the following Compute Publications type-in game...

Possibly called "Cosmic Caverns"

Not to be confused with "Space Caverns,"  which is another type in program that's already been included in some DSK images (some compiled by me).  I haven't been able to find many details on Cosmic Caverns, so here's what I remember...

It was the last type-in game in a Compute! book... probably Compute's Best of Apple Vol 1, but it could be another book from Compute.

It's the last entry in the "Games" section of whatever book it was published in, and the game is written out mostly in hex (it might have had a small applesoft basic checksum program/loader).

This was before Compute included the MLX proofreader program (1986 or so), so it had to be entered without typos.  Consequently, I could never get it to run back in the day.  The closest I got to getting it working, after several tries... the program started and displayed what looked like a line-drawn representation of the famous Star Wars trench scene.  Then it crashed to the monitor with a beep.

I'd like to try to reenter this program with modern tools (and release a user-friendly way to play it, like I was able to do with Canyon Runner posted elsewhere in this forum). 

If anyone can help me locate it, I'd be much obliged.  Even confirming what specific book or magazine it appeared in would be a great help.