IGNORED

Play Atari 2600 Games using QR Codes

Albert

This is fun and interesting, although compared to a Harmony cartridge it is of course pretty clumsy.

A much more interesting and useful application of QR codes goes virtually undetected in new games for the 8 bit computers. The guys from Poland have put software in a number of recent games like Stunt Car Racer and Bosconian that generate a QR screen on your TV/monitor. Scan that and you get a registered high-score on a website.

No extra hardware needed, the Atari 8 bit computer simply displays a lot of black and white blocks....which is a QR code :)

I think I saw an nes homebrew that displayed a qr code linking to the developer's website. It was a tdch demo or something. Should be feasible on an atari 2600 using only playfield graphics (maximum 40 pixel width, and many codes are smaller than that).

I think I saw an nes homebrew that displayed a qr code linking to the developer's website. It was a tdch demo or something. Should be feasible on an atari 2600 using only playfield graphics (maximum 40 pixel width, and many codes are smaller than that).

Bang! does precisely that after the credit roll.

xSqueeker also puts up a QR code, but that one just says "xSqueeker" rather than a URL.

• Like 1

I think Xerox (Parc) data glyph's would be a superior solution. You can use them to hide the data inside of a normal image.

(BTW, this is the same tech that all printers/copiers use to insert nearly invisible tracking data into everything you print.)

People that don't care, just see the image, those that want the code, can get the code.

Article from creator:

http://www.tauzero.com/Rob_Tow/DataGlyph.html

• Like 2