IGNORED

New nes controllers coming to switch.

Now that's one I wonder if they can work out but in a special way.

For one you'd need the Tetris Co to sign off which I doubt would be too much of a problem with other games out there. But how many of you are aware here that 5-6 years ago give or take someone did some hardcore deep sniff hacking and cracking on the NES game and discovered in development it was originally going to be a 2P game? They got far enough along that it works, but is just missing some features. You can read about it here: https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Tetris_(NES)#Lack_of_2_Player_mode But a group/person called infidelity between 2012 and finishing/improving it in 2013 finished it up as Tetris Zero. They took the competitive mode that NIntendo themselves created and made it work and display right, also even added in high score SRAM save too for those who make their own carts or use flash kits. I love how they took what Nintendo started and didn't get creative with it, but just finished it off with class and style like Nintendo would or should have done back in the day. I am not a fan of hacks but this one along with the in game map/translation fix MMC upgrade to Castlevania 2 are on my short list.

Here's a breakdown of what this hack did with the NIntendo bones of 2P mode they closed off:

This is a 2 player hack for the NES version of Tetris. In order to accomplish this, the ROM was converted from MMC1 to MMC3. The PRG was expanded to have 2 additional PRG banks.

Also, a custom bankswap routine was added since no bankswap was present in the original ROM. The following features were added:

• Enabled 2 player mode.
  • Created custom controls for 2nd player on non & in-game screens.
  • Created custom designs for A/B-Type 2 player mode.
  • Created asm to allow 2nd player to have stats shown on in-game screen.
  • Player 2 has the ability to write their name into the scoreboard.
  • Added a new gameplay feature to the B-Type Mode. In B-Type mode, in order to win 25 lines must be cleared. There is now the ability to choose how many lines to clear. There is a choice from 01-80 lines to clear.
  • Player 2 now has the ability to obtain their own game piece, no longer sharing/stealing from player 1.
  • Player 2 now has a proper NEXT piece box, along with working select button to enable/disable display.
  • Player 2 now has the ability to select an additional +10 levels from what they choose from A/B-Type (player 1 can hold the A button down when they have level 0-9 highlighted, and when they press start with A button held, the player will start +10 levels from what was selected. Player 2 can also do the same thing. However, this can only be done while player 2 holds down the B button. When player 1 presses start, player 2 needs to have the B button held down in order to get the +10 level).

Fascinating! I did not know about the 2 player hack. I just downloaded it. Thanks!

• Like 1

Now that's one I wonder if they can work out but in a special way.

For one you'd need the Tetris Co to sign off which I doubt would be too much of a problem with other games out there. But how many of you are aware here that 5-6 years ago give or take someone did some hardcore deep sniff hacking and cracking on the NES game and discovered in development it was originally going to be a 2P game? They got far enough along that it works, but is just missing some features. You can read about it here: https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Tetris_(NES)#Lack_of_2_Player_mode But a group/person called infidelity between 2012 and finishing/improving it in 2013 finished it up as Tetris Zero. They took the competitive mode that NIntendo themselves created and made it work and display right, also even added in high score SRAM save too for those who make their own carts or use flash kits. I love how they took what Nintendo started and didn't get creative with it, but just finished it off with class and style like Nintendo would or should have done back in the day. I am not a fan of hacks but this one along with the in game map/translation fix MMC upgrade to Castlevania 2 are on my short list.

Here's a breakdown of what this hack did with the NIntendo bones of 2P mode they closed off:

This is a 2 player hack for the NES version of Tetris. In order to accomplish this, the ROM was converted from MMC1 to MMC3. The PRG was expanded to have 2 additional PRG banks.

Also, a custom bankswap routine was added since no bankswap was present in the original ROM. The following features were added:

• Enabled 2 player mode.
  • Created custom controls for 2nd player on non & in-game screens.
  • Created custom designs for A/B-Type 2 player mode.
  • Created asm to allow 2nd player to have stats shown on in-game screen.
  • Player 2 has the ability to write their name into the scoreboard.
  • Added a new gameplay feature to the B-Type Mode. In B-Type mode, in order to win 25 lines must be cleared. There is now the ability to choose how many lines to clear. There is a choice from 01-80 lines to clear.
  • Player 2 now has the ability to obtain their own game piece, no longer sharing/stealing from player 1.
  • Player 2 now has a proper NEXT piece box, along with working select button to enable/disable display.
  • Player 2 now has the ability to select an additional +10 levels from what they choose from A/B-Type (player 1 can hold the A button down when they have level 0-9 highlighted, and when they press start with A button held, the player will start +10 levels from what was selected. Player 2 can also do the same thing. However, this can only be done while player 2 holds down the B button. When player 1 presses start, player 2 needs to have the B button held down in order to get the +10 level).
Considering the fact I just spent $75 on booze (my fiance and I are on vacation atm), the $60 on the two controllers still isn't worth it. I bought a 10 foot charging cable for $10, now I don't have to worry if my 8bitdo "dies" due to leaving it disconnected. If that's too rich for your blood then fine. Janky-assed 3rd party solutions will come out for this. They will suck, and you probably can't beat the motion control Zelda Shrines with it, much less play any game that requires all four buttons. /thread :sleep:

Edit: If you want 2-player Tetris on NES, Tengen is still a thing??? :roll:

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

Yup you're drunk or on the way. :D

And yes Tengen Tetris is a thing, a preferred one, that's the Tetris I kept. It's just a cool historic footnote that was like 75% done and that dude asm hacked in the missing bits and some graphics assets to make the field of play Nintendo intended more or less. Now if someone would just hack Music-A into the Tengen game, all would be good.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Works great on a real NES. I hope it will work fine on a classic to make the girlfriend happy.

attachicon.gif20180917_232355.jpg

I seem to recall a gg code that enabled "pseudo 2 player" mode by allowing one player to control movement and another rotation. Is there a rom for this?

Yup you're drunk or on the way. :D

And yes Tengen Tetris is a thing, a preferred one, that's the Tetris I kept. It's just a cool historic footnote that was like 75% done and that dude asm hacked in the missing bits and some graphics assets to make the field of play Nintendo intended more or less. Now if someone would just hack Music-A into the Tengen game, all would be good.

Yes to both points, 'cept Tengen has awesomer music.

The nutcracker is overplayed, and I always loved the A music on Gameboy. There is also the little known revision 0 Japanese gb variant with alternate music.

Tengen Tetris is garbage comparatively

No. Tengen Tetris is better for casual play. Nintendo Tetris has better pacing for hardcore competitive play. Tengen Tetris can take a surprisingly long time to finish a game, and iirc level 17 lasts indefinitely.

Both games have merit however and the differences are significant enough to warrant keeping both in play rotation. Control scheme for bps tetris (famicom) is a train wreck however.