IGNORED

Namco Museum Arcade Pac coming 9/28!

eightbit

Some people may not care and I get that, but I personally *love* Namco Museum releases...especially physically! I haven't seen a Namco Museum release in a long time (Gamecube maybe? Or Wii? Can't remember) and I always loved having a physical bundle of classic Namco goodness on said console.

Now with the Switch it seems I am really getting everything I want :) This next week, SNK 40th in November, Genesis collection in December....wow. Love the Switch. REALLY love the Switch!

• Like 1

Ugh.....those hideous borders. I'd rather play these games on their original systems in full screen than play them on mini screens with those garrish surrounds. They take up 1/3-2/3rds of the usable screen! I feel like it's Doom 32x all over again! :)

If there is an options to change the borders/screen size I am in because no doubt it is a good collection of games.

Can anyone who downloaded this confirm if you can full-screen these games and/or turn the borders off? Thanks

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

You seem to be in a very sharp minority about complaining about bezel art around the arcade screens. There are some who want TATE mode, that's fine, but the whining about some art instead of wasted black space seems pretty nitpicky.

This looks like a nice release for $40 on real media which is nice, but I wonder how well it will do and how long it would stay at $40 as well. If I wasn't on board with the Namco Arcade 10" device like the Data East cab from MyArcade already I'd pick it up.

Each game has 2 borders which are often pretty ugly if I was honest. I'd rather have the arcade bezel art, but whatever. You of course can turn it off and just have it be gray. Also you can resize the screen, orientation, aspect ratio, zoom, toggle on-screen control display, scanlines, etc.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

Each game has 2 borders which are often pretty ugly if I was honest. I'd rather have the arcade bezel art, but whatever. You of course can turn it off and just have it be gray. Also you can resize the screen, orientation, aspect ratio, zoom, toggle on-screen control display, scanlines, etc.

Thanks! Can you get the games pretty close to full or full screen, at least on the horizontal or vertical planes?

• Like 1

Thanks! Can you get the games pretty close to full or full screen, at least on the horizontal or vertical planes?

Oh yeah I think you can stretch it all the way across the screen if you really wanted to, but then its going to look stretched of course :).

Aside from that you can get a pretty decent vertical aspect ratio which a works pretty well for the most part I think.. although I kind of stretched it a little much vertically in this pic, I still like it.

post-31-0-14797000-1537471567_thumb.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

I can deal with the borders...that never really bothered me or even occurred to me to be a bother ;) As long as the games are true to the arcade in gameplay and sound...which I am sure they are. I held off on buying this digitally because that is how I am, and I am really glad I did. I love having physical classic game collections and this will definitely be added to my ever growing physical collection. I also held off on the Capcom beat em up collection and ordered the physical Japan release due out in Dec because I prefer some "Belt Action"...LOL :lol: :

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07HCS18TJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

For me, gray borders would be just as bad as the bezel art. I am fine with black bars, no problems whatsoever. I tjikk that hatred of bars stems from old timey CRTs that weren't very large to begin with, and watching movies that tried to keep the correct aspect ratio. With the mega screens of today, it's not a factor for me. But the last Namco museum I bought was for PS2 soooooo...yeah.

That looks good in the stand. Where can you find one of those?

I'll probably wind up buying this, bezels and all. Especially if it can be turned off.

I'm done bitching about those, but this will be my last take on it. On the original arcade machines, they were art surrounding the monitor, which isn't distracting at all. But looking at a screen with an illuminated art surround is pretty garrish to me. It also greatly reduces the on-screen area of the game. Imagine watching a movie on 1/3 the screen with an art bezel inspired by the movie surrounding it? No one would put up with that....haha.

Okay rant over forever on the bezels. They are fugly, but what can you do? Play Rolling Thunder 2 on a genesis instead, or toggle with the settings to get it as close as possible to full screen on this compilation.

That looks good in the stand. Where can you find one of those?

That's just a tablet/phone silicone stand you can find on Amazon.. one of many. In particular the one I got was this: Silicone Stand but again there are all types.

81IqEUdWFVL._SL1500_.jpg

Regarding the artwork.. this thread made me take a closer look at them, and one thing I noticed was some of them change a little depending on the orientation you choose. For example this one for Galaga.. the artwork placement differs when done vertically.

post-31-0-69324400-1537540265_thumb.jpg

..while the "mosaic" ones look the same either way:

post-31-0-07743100-1537540417_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Which would you rather play?

attachicon.gifs_DigDug_2.pngattachicon.gif81rDa6dDu2L._AC_SL1280_.jpg

The one on the right, no question.

Easier for me to quote eightbit there so I will: "I can deal with the borders...that never really bothered me or even occurred to me to be a bother ;) As long as the games are true to the arcade in gameplay and sound...which I am sure they are. I held off on buying this digitally because that is how I am, and I am really glad I did."

And after that post above with Galaga I really like that style of it.

• Like 1

Got this today. Not the biggest release of Sept, but very cool nonetheless. I am just happy to have a physical Namco Museum in the collection. I feel like any modern or somewhat modern game console collection should have a Namco Museum and other classic game compilation titles. I loved having this kind of stuff on the PS2 with the Midway Arcade Treasures series, Atari and Intellivision stuff and so on. It appears the Switch is bound for the same type of treatment and I am all for it.

As a physical package it is pretty cool. The inclusion of the Rolling Thunders (to me) is the highlight. I just love these games. Splatterhouse is great and of course my favorite game ever...the original Galaga...is here. It's overall a nice collection, and with my BB GCU it was only $24 :)

I'm thinking I'd like to get it, but despite the fact it costs notably more, I'm really wanting that 10" Namco Museum tabletop arcade unit instead like the Data East one out now from My Arcade. Yeah it's $100 but you can deal shop (I got the DE one for around 1/2 that) and it has 20 games (all on the Switch one plus others.) The games are all arcade unless the few sequels where home based like Splatterhouse and Rolling Thunder sequels.

Saw this at the store today. Will pick it up eventually, mainly for Splatterhouse. Apparently the conversion (or emulation) is pretty solid, better than the version included as a bonus in the Splatterhouse 2010 remake.

I have avoided this pack because I felt the price was too high for a digital-only game. Now that it's physical it's a little more reasonable to me, so I'll surely snag it sometime.

• Like 1