IGNORED

Which Amiga's had built in RF? Plus some comparsion specs comments

HDTV1080P

I had a question about the Amiga computers. I realize that the RGB and composite video output is much better then RF. However looking online at the Amiga computers I noticed that some Amiga computers have a built in RF modulator. Which models of Amiga computers have the built in RF modulators? I noticed that there was an external RF modulator that came with all Amiga 520 computers that plugged into the RGB port. But I am curious which Amiga models had a RF modulator built in.

In addition, I noticed that the Amiga computers except for the Amiga 500 and 600 have a built in power supply that accepts a standard AC cord. That is a real nice feature. Sometime in the future I might get an Amiga computer for the first time in my life and I would mainly use RGB and perhaps once and awhile RF for a low priced TV. However, most likely only RGB and composite video for most hookups.

I am new to the Amiga forum on ATARIAGE and to my knowledge I have never posted here before. The following information is new to people in this Amiga thread but contains some repeated information for people that follow me on ATARIAGE.

I am comparing other computers to the first computer system that I have owned in my life. Back around August of 1982 my first videogame system was the ColecoVision, then in October of 1983 I purchased the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer for the ColecoVision. The ADAM computer had advanced videogames like Buck Rodgers the Supergame, Donkey Kong the Supergame, Donkey Kong Junior the Supergame, and Zaxxon the Supergame. Between 1983-1985 the ADAM computer offered the best quality videogames for the titles mentioned above when compared to other videogame and computer systems. In fact, some of the ADAM games used up to 256KB space which was really awesome back in 1983. Then in January of 1985 Coleco stopped making videogames and computers. When the Nintendo Entertainment system was released in October of 1985 in the USA it was more powerful than the ColecoVision/ADAM system for some game titles. In addition, Nintendo had 64 sprites which gave NES an advantage in late 1985.

I actually used the Coleco ADAM computer for videogames and word processing between 1983 to around 1993. Which is a good ten-year period. I liked the quality of classic videogames the ADAM offered. Also in the 80’s we had BBS systems and there was no Internet with information overload when one googles. Instead, one had to call on the phone and subscribe to magazines to find out new information about computers and videogame systems (and if one did not know about certain computer magazines they were out of the information loop). Anyways sometime around 1993 or 1994 I switched to a IBM compatible computer using the Windows 3.1 operating system. I like the 80 column display with Microsoft Word with modern better spell checking features when compared to the ADAM spell checker.

Since around 1993 or 1994 I have upgraded my computer system about once every 5 years. I now own a computer with a modern X99 motherboard that I built in 2015. However I am realizing that starting in mid to late 1985 there were some much more powerful computers that came out that used 16 bit processors and I guess the reason why I used my one and only ADAM computer for 10 years was because I had some favorite videogame titles I liked on that ADAM computer system.

The ADAM computer has a Z80 3.58Mhz processor with 4 expansion slots on the motherboard (3 internal and 1 external). This year I purchased a Commodore 128 computer for the very first time. The Commodore 128 uses a Zilog Z80 2Mhz processor which means according to the specs the computer is slower than the ADAM’s processor. However, the Commodore 128 does have some advantages over the ADAM computer like 128kb memory with true 80 column color output. The Basic program has some advantages over SmartBasic, however I prefer the classic arcade games on the ADAM computer versus the Commodore 128 games. However to be fair many of the games out their were created for the Commodore 64, I would need to try some exclusive games made especially for the Commodore 128 RGBi 80 column color mode.

Now the Amiga and Atari ST computers are much more powerful when compared to the ADAM computer in terms of specs. Coleco when they stopped making computers in January 1985 never came out with a 16 bit computer system. The Amiga 1000 that was released in July 1985 has a 7Mhz CPU with native RGB output. Plus some of the Amiga’s have internal expansion slots on the motherboard with a detachable keyboard just like the ADAM computer and the 1991 Atari Mega STE offers. Sometime in the future, I would be interested in purchasing one of Commodores Amiga flagship computers to give it a try to see what kind of high quality games were made for that system.

Edited by HDTV1080P

While I'm no stranger to making lengthy posts, yours was borderline TL;DR. Anyway, here are some answers to the Amiga specific questions you asked:

Which models of Amiga computers have the built in RF modulators?

The Amiga 600 and 1200 have built-in RF modulator. The rest of them only have RGB output, plus either monochrome (Amiga 500, 500+) or composite video (1000, 600, 1200 at least, not sure about the other big box Amigas).

In addition, I noticed that the Amiga computers except for the Amiga 500 and 600 have a built in power supply that accepts a standard AC cord.

Generally, all the big box Amigas, including 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000 have internal power supplies. All the all-in-one Amigas, including 500, 500+, 600 and 1200 have external power supplies.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the information. I could not find that information online about the Amiga 600 and 1200 having built in RF modulators. Thanks for the information about the Amiga 1200 using a external power supply (I thought it was just the 500 and 600 with external power supplies from some online information I read). I am guessing that all or most Amiga models were offered in both a NTSC USA version and a PAL Europe version.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Just fucking look it up why make a 18 page post when every other sentance is about your dumb ass Adam

Okay, I understand that the OP's question was longer than necessary.

However, I don't think it warrants a borderline-abusive response.

No need to scare people away from this forum.

As to the question....

I see you've got the answer now regarding RF. However, you should be able to get a good deal on an Amiga 500 and 1084 monitor. Ultimately, I think you'll be glad you went with a sharper display with the added benefit that those monitors can handle both PAL and NTSC signals.

• Like 1

Okay, I understand that the OP's question was longer than necessary.

However, I don't think it warrants a borderline-abusive response.

No need to scare people away from this forum.

As to the question....

I see you've got the answer now regarding RF. However, you should be able to get a good deal on an Amiga 500 and 1084 monitor. Ultimately, I think you'll be glad you went with a sharper display with the added benefit that those monitors can handle both PAL and NTSC signals.

Heh every post is a dissertation from this guy and its always some simple thing and 2/3rds of it is about his Adam

Its 80% off topic and in a week he will be spamming an Amazon affiliate link in another 10000 word thesis mostly about his adam trying to sell you 500 foot of premium high grade rg6 coax for your Amiga

Or a wafer drive...

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 5