IGNORED

Premium Softcard //e help?

BassGuitari

I seem to be having a little trouble with my Premium Softcard //e. I've got it plugged into the Aux. slot on my //e Platinum (for some reason my regular //e is being a horse's ass about both of my I/O Controllers for the DuoDisk I'm using, so I just went to the Platinum...it might not like standard Disk ][ controllers either but I haven't tested that far yet), and I've got the Premium Softcard //e CP/M 2.26 master disk, which the card requires--I don't think any other version of CP/M works with it (good move, Microsoft...).

So my setup is:

Apple //e Platinum

Aux Slot = Premium Softcard //e

Slot 6 = I/O Controller (5.25 Drive Controller Card) --> DuoDisk unit

(All other slots empty)

I tested this setup with standard DOS disks with normal results. So far, so good. Then I tried booting CP/M 2.26 (again, the proprietary master disk for this card) from the copy I made with my CFFA3000, and also from the CFFA3000 itself. Either way, it starts to boot, but just stops at a blank screen before anything comes up. If I put the I/O card in another slot, I at least get a message "Must boot from Slot 6." The LED on the card does not light up at any point.

Possible issues I can come up with:

-Dead card

-Bad disk image

-Premium Softcard //e incompatible with //e Platinum system

-CP/M boot disk requires a Disk ][ controller and doesn't play nice with the Uni/DuoDisk I/O controller for some reason

Any troubleshooting tips before I starting digging out all my parts, Frankensteining things around, and making a 10-ton mess of my computer room? :lol:

Or, rephrasing that, is there a way to test the card without the CP/M software, say, from Applesoft or DOS?

Make a Disk from the image on Asimov, I used a real Disk I made using ADT

https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/cpm/os/

I remember to get mine to work I had to be a version behind I think the newest SoftCard IIe Premium image was corrupt.

It worked! Good call on the disk image. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

It worked! Good call on the disk image. :thumbsup:

So which image worked for you? I've had a lot of trouble testing my cards, I don't think I've gotten one to work. And I don't think it's the cards. Plus it's a pain to even fit in a //e case. Maxed out card length.

Unlike the other versions of the Softcard, you can't just PR# your card. It requires specialized CP/M software to start up and be utilized. I think it has to do with the way it deals with the coprocessing.

So which image worked for you? I've had a lot of trouble testing my cards, I don't think I've gotten one to work. And I don't think it's the cards. Plus it's a pain to even fit in a //e case. Maxed out card length.

Premium Softcard CP/M 2.25 is doing the trick for me. It's in the directory linked above. :)

I hear you on the card length. I thought I was going to break something getting it into the AUX slot. :| It does fit, of course--barely--but it definitely takes a little finagling.

Dumb question, but can the AUX slot on the //e even be called by a PR# command?

Good point on the PR#, but PR#3 does activate your 80 column card. Then again, not sure what will happen if you have a different card in slot 3, perhaps the AUX call supercedes the slot 3 device.

Premium Softcard CP/M 2.25 is doing the trick for me. It's in the directory linked above. :)

I hear you on the card length. I thought I was going to break something getting it into the AUX slot. :| It does fit, of course--barely--but it definitely takes a little finagling.

Dumb question, but can the AUX slot on the //e even be called by a PR# command?

• Like 1