IGNORED

Unofficial Coregrafx PSU on genesis 1

Gamer888

The voltage and polarity are correct, but the effect (amperage) is much too low. The Genesis will want 850 mA, your power supply is rated to only 300 mA. Either it won't start at all, give bad colours and flickering or possibly even draw the death out of the power supply. Vice versa would have been a much better idea.

Strange to have a such weak aftermarket PSU for the Core Grafx. I've got a white first gen PC Engine and it is specified to 4W which equals 450 mA, but perhaps one can get away with a bit less power.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually use an AC adapter meant for guitar stompboxes with my Genesis and PC-Engine. Rated at 1.5 amps. Obviously don't turn them on at the same time. Lol

I did this when I first got my Core Grafx, since it came sans adapter. The BOSS PSA-120S2 isn't cheap ($30) but it's a high-quality unit that ran it fine. I imagine the same is true for the Genesis 1 since they have the same plug.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I did this when I first got my Core Grafx, since it came sans adapter. The BOSS PSA-120S2 isn't cheap ($30) but it's a high-quality unit that ran it fine. I imagine the same is true for the Genesis 1 since they have the same plug.

Yes using a roland PSB-120 will also work and provide more than enough current to power anything it is compatible with polarity wise. It is expensive at $30+ but they are very high quality switching power supply units. I've thought about using one to power my TurboDUO as the original JPN PSU is still being used on it currently, and no I don't have a step-down transformer. After nearly a decade of using it this way, it is only now that the PSU is starting to buzz quite a bit and it is likely time to switch to something else to use on it.

I was going to guess that since Roland owns the BOSS brand that they were the same adapter, but no. The Roland one has a higher output rating, though, and uses a brick. I bet it's got enough power that you COULD run the Genesis and CoreGrafx from it using a 9v daisy chain adapter (also for guitar pedalboards). 2000 mAh means 18W, and the CoreGrafx only needs 5W on its own. The Genesis needs just a little more. Not that you'd really need to because they're probably plugged into the same TV. :lol:

Edited by derFunkenstein

I was going to guess that since Roland owns the BOSS brand that they were the same adapter, but no. The Roland one has a higher output rating, though, and uses a brick. I bet it's got enough power that you COULD run the Genesis and CoreGrafx from it using a 9v daisy chain adapter (also for guitar pedalboards). 2000 mAh means 18W, and the CoreGrafx only needs 5W on its own. The Genesis needs just a little more. Not that you'd really need to because they're probably plugged into the same TV. :lol:

Yeah I got mine chained this way. Saves some space on the power strip for other systems.

• Like 1