IGNORED

New switch model coming 2019

Rumored, but if it is, the question how is it going to be? The Japanese slim model of sorts where it's just the handheld components (no dock or hdmi cable) for a reduced price for those wanting a cheaper portable only choice. Or would they pull something like the SP 001 to SP 101 GBA where you get a nicer screen maybe a little bit better battery action going on.

it's too soon for them to pull some PRO version (New3DS) with 2-4x the ram and a TegraX2 upgrade as it would crap over all the adopters already with a system that'll lose good support for better hardware specs, and it would not be sparse like New3DS, it would be large because games from the console/pc convert well already but have shortcomings, and that would help bridge the gulf and be less the headache. Double edged sword to fall on there.

I highly doubt it will have any new feature that will require an upgrade (like a better CPU for example). I suspect it will have:

1. A brighter and/or higher resolution screen

2. A slimmer form factor (possibly)

3. Slightly reworked joycons with lower bumps for pinky resting (compatible with all switch units)

4. Slightly better battery life (as the screen will be more Eco friendly)

5. More ram (128GB standard)

6. More compact dock with integrated LAN

7. More inexpensive components (plastic back instead of metal..etc)

8. A pricetag of $199.99 standard model, $249.99 with a digital game included

So, a cheaper refresh with more of what people need out of the Switch is what I predict. It will not affect current Switch owners at this time...other than more space, cheaper price, etc.

It will be interesting to revisit this thread when it is released and see what I got right (or wrong) :)

No Switch Mini then?

I can see something like that coming as well as other iterations of the switch as the years go on, but I would think that the very first refresh of the system is not going to reduce what users are already enjoying (like the size of the screen). For the first refresh Nintendo is going to want to make it slightly better and more importantly cheaper especially since PS4 and XBONE prices are coming down.

I'd personally like to see a cheaper PSTV style solution bundled with a Pro Controller, but I'm sure I'm out of luck for a dedicated console version even though the Switch would be so much more suitable for such an option than the Vita was.

Perhaps it's just as well, given how heavily I've utilized my Wii U's off-screen play capabilities.

Edited by Atariboy

I highly doubt it will have any new feature that will require an upgrade (like a better CPU for example). I suspect it will have:

1. A brighter and/or higher resolution screen

2. A slimmer form factor (possibly)

3. Slightly reworked joycons with lower bumps for pinky resting (compatible with all switch units)

4. Slightly better battery life (as the screen will be more Eco friendly)

5. More ram (128GB standard)

6. More compact dock with integrated LAN

7. More inexpensive components (plastic back instead of metal..etc)

8. A pricetag of $199.99 standard model, $249.99 with a digital game included

So, a cheaper refresh with more of what people need out of the Switch is what I predict. It will not affect current Switch owners at this time...other than more space, cheaper price, etc.

It will be interesting to revisit this thread when it is released and see what I got right (or wrong) :)

128GB of RAM would be a tad expensive imho.

Did you mean flash perhaps?

• Like 2

A -cheaper- upgrade? Have you been paying attention to Nintendo's history of updating their portable line? Any time they make the existing hardware better, it assumes the existing price point. The current model, by contrast may go down for a short period until the last of the units are gone.

Only time a refresh was cheaper was when they axed functionality out of the existing models - such as that 100 dollar mini-wii from a while back. Or the creation of the 2DS line.

So yeah, I'm not holding my breath for any new model to be cheaper AND be an actual upgrade. I do expect them to try to keep the price constant with what's currently available however, banking on the price of components having gone down some.

• Like 1

A -cheaper- upgrade? Have you been paying attention to Nintendo's history of updating their portable line? Any time they make the existing hardware better, it assumes the existing price point. The current model, by contrast may go down for a short period until the last of the units are gone.

Only time a refresh was cheaper was when they axed functionality out of the existing models - such as that 100 dollar mini-wii from a while back. Or the creation of the 2DS line.

So yeah, I'm not holding my breath for any new model to be cheaper AND be an actual upgrade. I do expect them to try to keep the price constant with what's currently available however, banking on the price of components having gone down some.

The price will be cheaper, as components will be cheaper for them and they will be using cheaper parts. I am not sure where you have been, but if you think the Switch will be $299 at the end of 2019 you have not paid attention to the entire history of console refreshes over the course of decades ;) As one example of many, the Nintendo DS released at $149.99. The DS Lite (which was both cheaper in components and cost) was $129.99 at launch....with a slimmer style, better screeen and better battery life.

The switch will simply not survive at $299 with other rivals at around the same price at that time. It will be less, no doubt about that.

• Like 1

I question if this new release is just what they did in Japan since it's such a portable world there for media. The dockless Switch SKU. They cut the price by a noticeable amount just be removing the HDMI cable and console dock. You've seen they sell that alone for $70. That means they could either drop the price of the system by $70, or get more sneaky and drop the price of the extra docks down to $50 and sell a portable Switch only SKu for $250 instead of $300.

That would be an overly obvious and pretty easy thing to peddle and people saving that $50 would be more inclined to re-invest that back into a much more profitable game on the shelf or through eshop download.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i've been watching this somewhat because i am trying to decide when i'm going to purchase my Switch (plus, i have to submit a budget request with the Boss as we try to communicate both our 'for fun' purchases).

if the new Switch has an updated firmware, or is a 'low cost' model, i'd be interested in seeing what they do price wise. personally, i like the original form factor just fine- my son just got one for his birthday and it feels really nice to hold.

i agree with @pixelboy in that it'd be weird for them to make a smaller one; if you are wanting portability like that, the 3DS line I suspect is where Nintendo wants to steer you.

i'm going to be in for 2 joycons, the switch, a dock, a case, and the LAN adapter since the dock likely will be sitting on my entertainment center.

Stoopid question but: How do you make the Switch smaller if the joycons are designed to be attached to the sides of the handheld unit? I don't see Nintendo producing smaller joycons to fit with a smaller unit...

Make a portable only one, joycons don't pop off. You lose the motion control making just one flat tablet like device so you could drop the size and weight a bit, probably save a little on battery too.

Make a portable only one, joycons don't pop off. You lose the motion control making just one flat tablet like device so you could drop the size and weight a bit, probably save a little on battery too.

I'd find that a lot more pleasing than the current hardware. I don't take it anywhere because it's such a fragile-feeling slab of a thing. I'd love it in in a clamshell format like a laptop or DS, and would buy it on day one. I doubt they'll make one like that, though.

2 years for a Nintendo portable refresh is on par with history.

What you're talking about is essentially the Wii U. The Wii U didn't exactly fire up the sales charts, so why would they go back to that design? Also, it's possible some devs would like Nintendo to keep the motion control. Without it, things like Labo stop working as an input device.

No, the Wii U tablet is about the same size as the Switch. He's talking about making it smaller, and more portable. The Wii U also needed a brick-sized base unit, the tablet didn't do any processing on its own.

The motion control controllers are neat, but giving up compatibility with the cow-milking game would be a small price to pay for a more convenient portable. Nintendo's great at making updates that break compatibility, it's no big thing. Example: few of their most recent 3DS games use 3D at all. See also: GameBoy Micro which didn't run software older than GBA.

These are all fantasy, but the center one is what I would choose.

post-2410-0-58751500-1540750243_thumb.png

What you're talking about is essentially the Wii U. The Wii U didn't exactly fire up the sales charts, so why would they go back to that design? Also, it's possible some devs would like Nintendo to keep the motion control. Without it, things like Labo stop working as an input device.

Not really. The WiiU was a terrible boat anchor with a barely reliable 10ft wireless connection to the console that was in the big black(or white) box jacked into the TV. I'm basically more talking about converting it into the Nvidia Shield MIcroconsole/Tablet in a handheld device only format. Given the tech has improved in various things from the Tegra creation, battery life vs size, screens, etc it's possible. Especially if you're removing the camera, rails, IR, detachable joycons and only retaining the HD haptic rumble, perhaps even placing a real d-pad on the left since it won't pop off for 2P mode on the cheap. It would be a viable option for someone who wants nothing to do with TV docking or the other Wii hold over foo foo at all.

He's got it above, the left or center option would be wise, most likely the center one for screen protection on the go as it's a clamshell.

The Labo is not really relevant in the big picture, it's a minor seller compared to much else they do, and I never said to kill the standard original unit which you just get instead of you really have to Labo stuff or jerk off an udder in 321 Switch.

By removing the pointless HDMI cable, dock, the Wii carry over joycon functions, and just having the handheld unit with a USB-C cable+ac block for it, you could likely reduce the price of the system to around $200 at retail. Not including the retail $70 dock and the added wii bits of the joycons that also retail the same, it brings their expenses far lower to peddle it at the same margin. In Japan they already have a SKU that has just the system with the detachable joycons still and the ac adapter just excluding the dock and it goes for notably less and is a good seller.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

I doubt Nintendo is trying to steer anyone to the 3ds at this point. As much as I like it, it's pretty well dead right now, at least in physical retail.

I like the idea of the switch as is, but a smaller more portable one would be awesome. At 7" not counting the controllers, it's not exactly a take it with you portable. Granted, they need an easy way to transfer saves, so you could get a handheld only mini switch, and a bigger old style tv one. Or make it plug into the tv direct, like psp did.

• Like 1

I doubt Nintendo is trying to steer anyone to the 3ds at this point. As much as I like it, it's pretty well dead right now, at least in physical retail.

I like the idea of the switch as is, but a smaller more portable one would be awesome. At 7" not counting the controllers, it's not exactly a take it with you portable. Granted, they need an easy way to transfer saves, so you could get a handheld only mini switch, and a bigger old style tv one. Or make it plug into the tv direct, like psp did.

They do, you pay $20/yr and use those cloud saves. Log in to either device, and dump your backup of your progress and go for it. I can't see why that wouldn't be an easy option for them.

• Like 1