IGNORED

HSC15 Round 18: Vanguard and Scramble

Scramguard? Vanble? Scangambard?

no it's...

Vanguard and Scramble

Double header in round 18 of the HSC action. What? We don't have Scramble on out beloved Atari 8-bits? We do now! Thanks to playsoft for this; I think it's still a w.i.p. but let's put it through the HSC mangle and see how it turns out :-D

Vanguard

vanguard.png

Play using repeat fire ([Option/F4] keep fire pressed for autofire ) and remember you're playing for high score so learn to milk out those points especially with the shield and in the rainbow zones. Restart the game from the beginning each time -wait for the title sceen to show before pressing fire/start. Once you complete the first round the game speeds up and improves no end. Extra life at 10K and 50K. No pause key! WARNING: at the end of your go it is too quick to continue if you are pressing fire - you can miss seeing your score :twisted:

Links

wikipedia Info

fandal xex

atarimania

Trbb's hints: Master releasing fire to move faster when avoiding enemy missiles. You can dock with the little creatures on the 'bleak' stage for a lift and healthy bonus too. In the Rainbow Zones you are pretty safe constantly shooting up then down while maintaining your position - move with the rhythm of the music (on PAL anyway)

Scoring Full HSC points.

Bonus challenge for highest number of completions - you must kill the final boss

Discussion from last time:

>>>

CapitanClassic: Anyone know if Vanguard supports keyboard and joystick control like Crossfire? The arcade allowed you to shoot and move in different directions simultaneously, and this version seems to fire a shot forward first (even when I am desperately trying to fire up/down). This has got me killed hundreds of times in the Rainbow zone.

trbb: I'm guessing not, I think this is the 5200 version ported - for some reason the only key seems to be Shift which is fire! I've not tried a second joystick though. Seems we're missing the tunnel selection key (wonder if the code is there), perhaps one day this will be added.
<<<

Scramble

scramble.png

Download Scramble

Space=Bomb or any key apart from P=Pause and R=Reset. Players can select "Trigger 1 = Both" on the game options screen. Press space to see the game options screen.

Will be interesting to see how this stacks up against Super Cobra and TTOBL etc

twh/f2 "Using a Sega Genesis gamepad this is just WOW." ***

***need to check if this is on Atari hardware - I've ordered one from Ebay (hope this is the right thing?!)

Other Atariage threads

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281589-scramble-5200-conversion/

(Post 12 has playsoft's XEX which also supports the Sega Genesis Controller)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281372-scramble-5200/

Round ends Sunday 28th October 4pm UK time a bit later than usual ;)

Have fun, join in and PLAY ATARI

• Like 3

Are Genesis gamepads safe to use on the Atari 8-bits? They're no-no in the Commode world, but perhaps the small differences in pinout on the pins that are not strictly joystick related make it safe. On the other hand SMS gamepads are OK. I already know which my weapon of choice will be so I don't need to take a chance with my 130XE.

• Like 1

Are Genesis gamepads safe to use on the Atari 8-bits? They're no-no in the Commode world, but perhaps the small differences in pinout on the pins that are not strictly joystick related make it safe. On the other hand SMS gamepads are OK. I already know which my weapon of choice will be so I don't need to take a chance with my 130XE.

Good point. I've posted a question on the Scramble thread, there is mention of the C64. If I don't get this confirmed then I wont use it.

Vanguard 60,410 made it into the 2nd level... Scramble now on my TV screen and ready to roll :lust:

Scramble 30,150 nice game folks :cool:

• Like 1

Scramble

30,510 All stages completed. "You Completed Your Duties" Good Luck Next Time Again

59,810 3rd Time Around.

(Excellent Game)

Vanguard

29,000 Something.... forgot to note score and was wondering why it went to 0. Until I read above...doh!

Edited by RedThunder

Scramble looks good but not sure how this can be played with a standard joystick, pressing the spacebar to drop the bombs isn't really much of an option.

I've got a mega drive but I'll have to get the controllers back from my brother who borrowed them to try to get his kids to play Atari!

• Like 1

Scramble looks good but not sure how this can be played with a standard joystick, pressing the spacebar to drop the bombs isn't really much of an option.

I've got a mega drive but I'll have to get the controllers back from my brother who borrowed them to try to get his kids to play Atari!

At the options in the beginning you can select Trigger 1 = Both

Option 6.

:-)

Also, extra life at 10,000.

The game does not seem to get harder as it go's on, but fatigue gets you in the end... Just dozy mistakes.

• Like 2

Scramble - 18780 pts

Vanguard - 9090 pts (using manual fire!)

The options screen to select automatic firing didn't appear until after I had played a round of Vanguard, and to be honest I obtained a better score with manual firing than subsequent rounds with automatic...

post-5454-0-34965300-1539632981.jpg

post-5454-0-91165500-1539632979.jpg

Out of the options, it seems that Fast Rockets and Fast Scroll are the only ones that make the game more difficult. The rest would make the game easier if changed from Normal setting.

Anyway, enabling both missiles and bombs with the joystick button makes the game easier to play.

Scramble - 26380 pts

post-5454-0-61918600-1539637116.jpg

• Like 2

Vanguard had a bunch of 60K goes and then got it together... 136,230 I really like Vanguard, lots of variety. I remember been awed when I first played this.

post-19705-0-54664200-1539637558.jpg

Scramble - thanks guys - we can have a challenge on Fast Scroll / Fast Rockets and/or both? let's see what is best, it will be good feedback for playsoft too :)

• Like 2

I'm pondering a bonus challenge on Scramble. Instead of speeding up the scroll (which I think overall makes most of the difference) or the rockets, play a game without using bombs. Only use missiles. Eventually you'll run out of fuel because you can't reach the fuel guarded by rockets. See how far you get without bombs.

• Like 2

Fantastic Art RT :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Scramble 29,220 couldn't seem to hit that thing next to KONAMI (factory?!) tried to collect it which was not a good idea, so I did it again and was out :dunce:

with fast rockets and scroll set 8,520 may be too hard with both set?

• Like 1