IGNORED

HSC15 Round 18: Vanguard and Scramble

Scramble 78,270

As it's too easy, especially with bombs and missiles on the joystick it will be the bonus game. I've re-jigged the bonuses see below:

first tables

Vanguard

1st therealbountybob 136,230 12pts +1pt*(3)
2nd Deteacher 97,790 11pts
3rd carlsson 33,370 10pts
4th RedThunder 29,000 9pts
5th McKong 8,050 8pts
*Bonus point for highest number of completions - you must defeat the end boss guy

Scramble
1st RedThunder 91,820 5pts
2nd McKong 90,640 4pts
3rd therealbountybob 78,270 3pts
4th Deteacher 46,050 2pts
5th carlsson 26,380 1pt
*Bonus point for higest score on first level - in one man.

Bonus challenges:

#1 Fast Rockets, Fast Scroll

#2 Fast Rockets, Fast Scroll, Missiles Only (no using bombs) with Small ship

Edited by therealbountybob
Scramble bonus challenges changed
  • Like 3

NO! The game is excellent as it is - see the first post for some tips ;) Thanks for posting this hack, I wasn't aware of it - we can have it as another bonus challenge :)

edit: looks like our Vanguard port only has two tunnel shapes and it changes whether or not you defeat mayey in the "last zone" - the bonus pioint is for how many times you defeat him (and he only gives a measly 1000pts :twisted: ).

We'll play the abbuc games for the next round assuming they are released - I have 1 bug to fix on Ski-It so I hope to be able to release a v1.1 for next weekend

• Like 2

Ski-It

Looking forward to this one. Also, I must get onto the archery game I was warbling about :-)

---

Forgive me for even mentioning this here ... I have posted on the ST Forum about an HighScore club there with no joy. How did you go about creating a HSC forum or even getting it going ?

I love the Atari 800/XL ... but the ST had have some nice games for high scores..... Oids Mmmmm.

IGMC.

Super bonus challenge: Fast Rockets, Fast Scroll, Missiles Only (no using bombs) - if it's not possible to get enough fuels then we can switch to the small ship option.

Yes, it seems the small ship is capable of shooting some fuel tanks on the other side of a ridge, which the larger ship cannot so for the purpose of Missiles Only it might be beneficiary to play with the small ship.

Scramble scores so far:

Default settings + missiles/bombs on trigger: 32400 pts (as screenshot above, though not recognized by trbb)

Fast Rockets: 34360 pts (so better than my score with default settings)

Fast Scroll: 19630 pts

Fast Rockets + Fast Scroll: 21010 pts

Missiles Only + Normal Ship: 13880 pts (equals the settings I played last week)

Missiles Only + Small Ship: 13600 pts

As I noted above, using the smaller ship likely is better suited to grab fuel when one plays without bombs. I also noted that when you play with Fast Scroll, the game slows down to normal speed for the tunnels on stage 5. Since I've failed to complete the stage, I don't know if it speeds up again for stage 6.

• Like 1

@RT re new ST HSC I inherited this one from atariage's goochman and jelle - II'd suggest start up a thread in the ST forum for the first round and see if you get any scores, then contact one of the admins (tempest) and see if they will setup a sub forum for it, you can then publicise it on the podcasts etc :)

post-19705-0-32525400-1540226555.jpg

Vanguard holy smoke I kept it together and reached the 5th round :-o

163,820 only 3 of the 4 bosses I think, really trying to milk the points now!

post-19705-0-61571100-1540226574.jpg

Scramble 78,970

4.Fast scroll + 8.Fast rockets + 6.Both (Missiles and Bombs) 31,540 - I think this is the best setting

4.Fast scroll + 8.Fast rockets + 6.Missiles (NO bombs) 19,130 - yes carlsson agreed this is is too hard on the rockets on the rooftops stage - will try again with the small ship :thumbsup:

Edited by therealbountybob
challenges updated
  • Like 2

@RT re new ST HSC I inherited this one from atariage's goochman and jelle - II'd suggest start up a thread in the ST forum for the first round and see if you get any scores, then contact one of the admins (tempest) and see if they will setup a sub forum for it, you can then publicise it on the podcasts etc :)

attachicon.gifVanguard 163820.jpg

Vanguard holy smoke I kept it together and reached the 5th round :-o

163,820 only 3 of the 4 bosses I think, really trying to milk the points now!

attachicon.gifScramble.jpg

Scramble 78,970

4.Fast scroll + 8.Fast rockets + 6.Both (Missiles and Bombs) 31,540 - I think this is the best setting

4.Fast scroll + 8.Fast rockets + 6.Missiles (NO bombs) 19,130 - yes carlsson agreed this is is too hard on the rockets on the rooftops stage - will try again with the small ship :thumbsup:

Thanks. Some have talked about game trainer abuse on the game menu etc. They may have a point, but a friendly HSC like here would fun as well.

perhaps Oids on the Atari 800 XL would an option....hint, hint nudge nudge ;)

Thanks. Some have talked about game trainer abuse on the game menu etc. They may have a point, but a friendly HSC like here would fun as well.

perhaps Oids on the Atari 800 XL would an option....hint, hint nudge nudge ;)

I wouldn't worry about that. If you know the games well then you can usually spot clues if anyone was cheating, it's not been a problem here. To be honest I'd be glad if more played, cheating or not, I'll still give them a challenge :) GO FOR IT RT!

post-19705-0-75643400-1540401831.jpg

Scramble 99,070 - I still can't tell if it gets any harder on the other rounds or if it's just different graphics? you can tell this is a playsoft game, some slick touches.

with fast scroll and fast rockets (+both) 32,920

Oids? Fandal has Assembleoids, Asteroids, Droids, Beastieoids (!)... ?

beastoids.png

hmm Droids looks like it might be a future HSC game

droids.png

• Like 1

I've changed the scoring to make things fairer - each game has 6pts for the top score, plus any bonuses of course ;)

latest tables

Vanguard

1st therealbountybob 163,820 6pts +1pt* (3)
2nd Deteacher 97,790 5pts
3rd McKong 34,480 4pts
4th carlsson 33,370 3pts
5th RedThunder 29,000 2pts

*Bonus point for highest number of completions - you must defeat the end boss guy

Scramble
1st McKong 102,650 6pts
2nd therealbountybob 99,070 5pts
3rd RedThunder 91,820 4pts
4th Deteacher 46,050 3pts
5th carlsson 32,400 2pts

*Bonus point for higest score on first level - in one man.

Bonus challenges:

#1 Fast Rockets, Fast Scroll

1st therealbountybob 32,920 2pts
2nd carlsson 21,010 1pt

#2 Fast Rockets, Fast Scroll, Missiles Only (no using bombs) with Small ship

1st therealbountybob 19,130 1pt

Minor improvement:

Scramble (default settings) - 34060 pts

I'm unable to get through the tunnels on stage 5. I get less than halfway through that stage.

The movement is a *little* twichy but you should be able to get right on each horizontal section and use full lock diagonals on the vertical bits. The ships graphic cycling is catching me out for most lives lost so watch out for that too! When you are firing at a row of obstacles pull right at the same time (I've not tried full lock right on this but it might be ok). You cand fire a couple of bombs as you go over the edge with the drop to the row of obstacles - this will take out the middle couple so you can get right sooner - you can also bomb things immediatly below you as you approach them so that can save time and let you get right sooner :)

Scramble

Standard 100,940

FR, FS, Moff 5,840

FR, FS 14,460

and...

Oids!

Got the ball rolling...well position the ball any way :-)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284317-st-high-score-club-round-1-oids/

Have a go.... epic game Oids.

I was wondering for a 800XL version the ships etc. could be nothing more than a couple of pixels in size. Kind of TinyOids ?

I'm using Steem SE 3.9.4 Emulator.

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 1

Vanguard: 142,200. Defeated Gond 3 times.

BTW, the longer you take to defeat Gond, the more you score. It's 1,000 if you blow him away right away, but the more the walls close in on you, the higher your score when you shoot him down.

Good score. Interesting - I usually just hold in (repeat) fire and release it to move to avoid the bars, sometimes you get him early - I assume the bars fill in the entire space and crush you if you take too long, will look for some videos now! Wikipedia has good Vanguard Info, so there were only two tunnel layouts. More could have been done with this one for sure :)