IGNORED

3DO Fz-1 Internal Fan issue

Hello all first time poster here. My 3dos internal fan has been running continuously so long as the console is plugged in. Is that normal or a common issue? How would I be able to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It could be a number of issues:

• Heat not dissipating forces the fan to continuously run
  • Thermostat can be misreadin internal temperature, keeping the fan running
  • Fan motor may be aging and is making a lof of noise which you hadn't noticed before

If it were me I'd get a new console, but I'm no expert.

Is the fan making excessive noise? My fan rins the whole time the system is on at least on my FZ-1 model. When mine seemed to be having what I thought were heat and didc reading issues I took the 4 screws out of the bottom and removed the top shell for it to breathe. It seemed to freeze less and read discs better without issues so I assumed there was an internal heat issue

The 3DO can run hot.

You can remove the internal shielding first (I do'nt remember how much there is).

Some people have bough adhesive radiators for the chips that run hot in the console, it's a good solution too.

$_1.JPG

They come either with adhesive or you buy your own adhesive thermal paste.

I haven't done yet on my 3DO, but I did it on my Bally Astrocade and the result is clearly in favor of having those radiators.

Note that apparently, later FZ-1 console had passive cooling, which mean that a failure of your fan wouldn't be critical.

But anything you can do to make your console run cooler is always welcome.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the fz1 model as well. I took everything apart down to the motherboard and no blown capacitors but noticed that there is a 25v or 250v capacitor can't remember what it says but is the largest capacitor on it that has some gumminess under it. I cleaned it up a little bit but still the issue. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or if the power supply unit is bad. My unit works though just fine. Although have not played it long hours. Still looking into why this is doing it. I'm sure it has something to do with over heating. Which if that capacity is bad or going bad could trigger the fan.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

So i finally got a chance to work on the fan issue with the fz1 3do console. Even while it was off but power cord plugged in the fan would be running. I took the console apart and noticed near capacitor c1, c35, and c36 there were leakage on the motherboard from them. I purchased replacement caps from console 5 website. If you google 3do fz1 cap kit it will come up. I removed the old caps i mentioned and cleaned all the acid off the board. I used my finger nail carefully to scrape it away from the board and use the electronic cleaning alcohol. I actually got most of it off at least enough to make sure there was no bridging or canceling of circuits. I soldered the new caps on. Use the diagrams or videos that show what side is positive and negative. I put the console back together and plugged it in without turning it on and the fan was not on anymore. I turned it on and played a game for a while and still no noise. Now mine was the caps but may be your same issue.

• Like 1