IGNORED

Tron (Arcade Port)

orange808

​Maybe not final just yet... :)

​Tron

​NTSC only right now. I'll get around to a PAL 60 version eventually.

Tron-tank.png

Tron-MCP.png

​Recommended controls:

​Port 1: Mattell "M Network" Tron controller

​Port 2: CX-22 Trackball in joystick mode. (Not analog)

Tron v01-00-00.bin

Edited by orange808
  • Like 28

Another stable playable build is in the works. It should pave the way to get this completed.

The game now maintains rock solid sync with the OSSC, so I'm done playing with cycles. I also cannot find any issues using the Stella debugger.

High quality displays used to be built to handle VCRs--and they had pretty good tolerance for some odd sync. Unfortunately, those days are fading and we're left with some very rigid signal boundaries. :(

Next, I plan to optimise the code and wring out some more ROM. Then, I'll tweak colors, movement speed, difficulty, and I would like to add one more piece of music.

This core of the game is essentially finished and the four mini games are set. The iconic four color game selection screen isn't going to make the cut; I don't have space for it.

Lightcycles were originally implemented and nearly completed before I abandoned them and added the disks game. The game had two enemy cycles. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it fun. In theory, it sounded great, but (when I actually got a chance to play it) having two enemies on the screen in Surround doesn't make it twice as fun.

• Like 2

​New build v00.01.06 is up. I need help with debugging and some feedback--if possible**.

**(I do understand that most users will not have a Tron ("flightstick style") controller and a trackball. Sorry about that.)

​The game should now run on most digital displays.

​Also, the Tron Scherzo made it back from the cutting room floor. For many gamers, I'm certain it will be a welcome addition. :) I'm glad some more of my planned resources have made it back into the game.

• Like 1

You totally need to make this work with a driving controller in port 2.

Unfortunately, that would require some custom kernel work that I'm not prepared to complete. I looked over the community release of the Indy 500 rom to get an idea of what was necessary. I don't think I could poll the controller often enough to get good results without tinkering with the DPC+ kernel. I would also need to find rom space to hold the necessary lookup table.

I have some familiarity with assembler, but (I confess that) I have zero desire to spend the fabled "10,000 hours" mastering programming the Atari VCS kernel. I dropped to asm in a few convenient places in Tron, but I really enjoyed how quickly things come together using Visual bB.

Excellent work here!

Driving controls can be polled once per frame with good results. Check out batari's zombie chase sample for an example. (it's distributed with bB)

You can even auto-detect driving controls, by looking for conflicting joystick positions.

That's odd. It works fine on my Harmony. I have both a 2600 and 7800.

Anybody else having this issue?

its a harmony encore I am using. maybe the firmware is out of date? trying to find how to tell what is on it. all the happens is the harmony carts just sits with the spinning circle in the middle of the screen but never loads the rom

Edited by thevnaguy

I have firmware 1.06 in my harmony cart. what revision to you have in yours?

I'm on 1.06 as well.

Hopefully, some others can chime in with their experiences and some ideas to get it running for you.

In the meantime, have you tried reformatting the card and copying everything you want on the card all at once? I'm not familiar with the Harmony carts specifically, but some flash carts are picky about fragmented files.

I'm on 1.06 as well.

Hopefully, some others can chime in with their experiences and some ideas to get it running for you.

In the meantime, have you tried reformatting the card and copying everything you want on the card all at once? I'm not familiar with the Harmony carts specifically, but some flash carts are picky about fragmented files.

yep. tried reformatting, tried different sd cards, tried just having the rom by itself on the card, tried the 1.00 rom. the same thing happens, just get the spinning harmony cart logo (the green/white circle) spinning in the middle of the screen.