IGNORED

Tron (Arcade Port)

orange808

Can other users post their Harmony experiences with my rom? :)

The game's kernel is untouched bB DPC+. No minikernel.

It works fine on my Harmony on my VCS and 7800. So, I can't understand why it won't boot for vnaguy.

I used a hex editor to change the bytes at offset 0x200 from 00 A0 85 to 01 A0 C5 and now the rom is working :) This is using the Harmony Cart on a Atari 2600 Jr and a Heavy Sixer. before the change it would not work on the 2600 jr. or the Heavy Sixer, but would afterwards :) yayyyy now I can make another video showing the use of the tron joystick and trakball! love this rom guy!

I used a hex editor to change the bytes at offset 0x200 from 00 A0 85 to 01 A0 C5 and now the rom is working :) This is using the Harmony Cart on a Atari 2600 Jr and a Heavy Sixer. before the change it would not work on the 2600 jr. or the Heavy Sixer, but would afterwards :) yayyyy now I can make another video showing the use of the tron joystick and trakball! love this rom guy!

Interesting.

Can someone with intimate knowledge of the DPC+ kernel chime in and give me some clues about where the issue is for some hardware combinations?

I do not own a heavy sixer or a mini. So, far I'm testing on an old Atari branded 4 switch "woody" Atari that I have had since 1980. I also have a 7800 to test with; I believe it was purchased in 1987.

Is this an idiosyncrasy related to bB or do I need to make some adjustments to my code? The hex editor option is always there, but that feels like a hack. Code really should compile to a clean executable.

Edited by orange808
  • Like 1

Newest build is up.

​Stage scoring added. There are a few tweaks as well.

Still work to be done with weighing difficulty, finding good color, and eventually making a PAL build.

​Hunted ROM optimisations again and rearranged code to remove a bank switch. I planned on removing that one later and it worked out fine. This finalizes the general design of the minigames--because the code is arranged without any convenient way to add significant code to any of the games.

I will take some time off now and revisit later to clean up bug reports. Then, I'll finish tweaking colors and difficulty. This one is very close to finished--or I'm very close to finished with it. :)

Played this last night on Stella.. I'm excited as to what's coming up in future updates, as this is amazing. However, am I missing something, or is there no way to select the opening game as in the arcade as of yet?

If you play this on stella using a controller USB adaptor of some sort (I'm using the Vision-Dapter,) and a genesis control pad, map buttons B and C to paddle 2 left and right respectively. Works like a charm for me!

Edited by Inky

New beta is up with some gameplay adjustments, color tweaks for consumer televisions, and increased difficulty as stages are cleared. This could be the last build for a while.

​TODO: Still need to make a PAL version. That may or may not happen.

​Colors were tested and intended for use on a real NTSC consumer television. So, for once we can have that good old gem "developer's intent" conversation with absolute certainty. I didn't ever intend for you to have a broadcast or professional monitor and I didn't use my fancy displays to make design decisions. It's for a real consumer tv.

​Will check back for bug reports and maintain the game as best I can.

​It's been fun! Thanks again to all the members of the community that made bB DPC+ possible! This was a fun project.

​Also, it really plays best with the trackball and the Mattel Tron stick.

Edited by orange808

I was going to download the latest binary but it's been removed. I'm guessing something unwanted happened between the two previous posts. :( I tried the earlier versions and this is really great! Very well done.

Yeah, I saw that it has been taken down. What happened? I was going to download this tonight and give it a whirl. That's too bad, as it looked pretty amazing.

​Tron

​NTSC only.

Tron-tank.png

Tron-MCP.png

​Recommended controls:

​Port 1: Mattell "M Network" Tron controller

​Port 2: CX-22 Trackball in joystick mode. (Not analog)

Thank you so much for your efforts. Will you continue to work on this game and add the other levels? If Yes I hope that gets a cart version. If not thank you for bringing us so close to Tron on our 2600's.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gave it a quick play last night myself and was in awe of its awesomeness. Really incredible effort here and especially love the music! Everything from the dual joystick (or trakball) play, to the sprite art/animation, to the level design of the spider stage to, wait... am I now playing Discs of Tron? Absolutely amazing stuff here. :love:

A dream come true!

Can other users post their Harmony experiences with my rom? :)

The game's kernel is untouched bB DPC+. No minikernel.

It works fine on my Harmony on my VCS and 7800. So, I can't understand why it won't boot for vnaguy.

Works just fine with my original Harmony running v1.05 and a 7800. Amazing game here Orange! :love:

• 1 month later...