IGNORED

Mega Sg Confirmed!

derFunkenstein

Super cool. Will have to keep and eye on this.

What may be the system seller for me of all things, is if they make a cart adaptor so I can play my GameGear library through the unit.

Have component and s-video Geneis setups currently so the picture/HDMI draw isn't big for me. I'm short HDMI ports these days anyway.

What may be the system seller for me of all things, is if they make a cart adaptor so I can play my GameGear library through the unit.

They've promised on on the website, and say that the FPGA will run a GG core (as opposed to running like a Genesis Master System mode, I think)

Sega's early console history is a rich and unique era to explore- which is why we designed Mega Sg to support it all. We will be releasing a series of game cartridge adapters for Mark III, Game Gear, Sega MyCard, SG-1000, & SC-3000. Each individual system totally implemented into Mega Sg via FPGA. Coming 2019 and sold separately.

and then the footnote says this:

Estimated price of $9.99 USD each. Sega Master System cartridge adapter is included with every Mega Sg. All other adapters will be sold separately upon release.
Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

Would be nice if it can run the handful of SMS paddle games natively (it should be able to by tricking the game into thinking it's running on a Japanese SMS). With my flashcart, I have hex edited some of the games to use the paddle on an American system successfully, but there are still a couple I haven't managed to find a fix for or fix myself. Not a huge issue, obviously, as you're only talking a handful of games.

Would be nice if it can run the handful of SMS paddle games natively (it should be able to by tricking the game into thinking it's running on a Japanese SMS). With my flashcart, I have hex edited some of the games to use the paddle on an American system successfully, but there are still a couple I haven't managed to find a fix for or fix myself. Not a huge issue, obviously, as you're only talking a handful of games.

I bet you'll be able to set the region in the UI

Sure, but the paddle itself behaves differently when plugged into a Japanese or US unit (it's some kind of signal the paddle looks for; I guess it comes from the correct region bios? Just loading the correct bios on the flashcart isn't enough), and that will have to be taken into account. I'm sure Kev will have it all worked out.

As the only system I really care about without a current (good) HDMI option, I welcome this with open arms. I have a lot of sentimental attachment to my model 1 Genesis (it was an unexpected and extremely generous gift) but with analog connections getting more difficult to use each year, I need to know there's a viable 21st century path for my collection.

This will be coming home with me.

• Like 1

However, looking about going rate now, you could probably by two Mega Sg for what a working genesis, CD + 32x combo are going for. I have a JVC X'eye, 32x, Laseractive for Genesis needs. If the MegaSg can take over for either my J-SMS or X'eye I'll be happy to have the additional shelf space. Hopefully someone will come up with a SegaCD replacment at some point, but the laseractive could take over those needs in the until that comes alone.

• Like 1

However, looking about going rate now, you could probably by two Mega Sg for what a working genesis, CD + 32x combo are going for.

Nah. More like one, honestly (Analogue is going to charge at least $30 for shipping, so it's a $220 product at the least). Still not cheap obviously, but looking at completed listings on eBay (i.e., the ones that actually sold), it's common to be able to get a working Genesis and Sega CD combo for about $150, give or take a little depending on the auction and/or shipping. The 32X seems to be going up a bit too, and I see a lot that actually sold between $60 and $80, some with the connector cable, some without (replacements are easy to find for about ten bucks). If one is moderately patient, I think they should be able to find a decent deal.

It is kind of interesting to me that prices on these things have gone up as much as they have. I thought no one liked the Sega CD or 32X? Maybe thoughts (at least on the Sega CD side in particular) are turning around as time goes on.

Edited by Austin

Nah. More like one, honestly (Analogue is going to charge at least $30 for shipping, so it's a $220 product at the least). Still not cheap obviously, but looking at completed listings on eBay (i.e., the ones that actually sold), it's common to be able to get a working Genesis and Sega CD combo for about $150, give or take a little depending on the auction and/or shipping. The 32X seems to be going up a bit too, and I see a lot that actually sold between $60 and $80, some with the connector cable, some without (replacements are easy to find for about ten bucks). If one is moderately patient, I think they should be able to find a decent deal.

It is kind of interesting to me that prices on these things have gone up as much as they have. I thought no one liked the Sega CD or 32X? Maybe thoughts (at least on the Sega CD side in particular) are turning around as time goes on.

I would suspect it has much to do with rarity and/or lack of common, easy emulation, perhaps, for the Sega CD. Just a guess.

32X, no idea honestly, and I say that as a fan :)

Personal favorites / reasons to have: Sega CD - Shining Force CD, Road Rash (best version of them all, hands down, plays the terrific soundtrack while you race, not just during cutscenes), Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside, Vay, Snatcher, Mickey Mania, Earthworm Jim Special Edition, Silpheed, AH-3 Thunderstrike, Final Fight

32X - Shadow Squadron, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000, Star Wars Arcade.

And yeah, I can't see getting anyone to shell out $200 or more for a Genesis / CD / 32X combo, even if pricing has been a bit on the rise, I would be shocked to see getting more than $150 for the whole shebang. Which is largely why I still have mine. That, and the ridiculous Star Destroyer Oblong art style to spruce up my place. :)

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Just throwing this out there (and perhaps worthy of another thread, or not, unsure...)

Seems like the Genesis options are really heating up now.

We've got the Mega Retron HD from Hyperkin, it appears to 1) play everything including Everdrive and Virtua Racing, 2) have stereo audio, 3) 720p, and 4) $46.00

John Hancock's Review

An option that seems reasonable but not as good as the Mega Retron HD unless you hate Hyperkin and/or want two controllers, the Minigen HD by Gamerz Tek.

Doesn't play Virtua Racing, I believe (?) it's Mono sound, has some issues with transparencies, as evidenced by 5:02 in the following video, the enemies should be carrying lit flashlights, that effect is gone. But it's $39.99 on Amazon, so maybe an option for some, and it works with Everdrive. And in sum better than the AtGames 2017 thing.

John Hancock's Review

Feel free to correct me on any of this also, I'm just jumbling what I'm seeing together.

But I believe the Mega SG is going to hopefully 1) Run Everdrive and Virtua Racing with no problems, 2) have perfect stereo sound, 3) have Sega CD compatibility, 4) come with an 8bitdo Wireless controller that should be aweosme, 5) play in 1080p, but 6) cost about $220 with shipping and 7) not be out until about a half year in the future.

And then there may (?) be another Genesis mini coming from Sega as well?

It's a fun time to be a retro gamer...but it's bewildering as well. :P

Just throwing this out there (and perhaps worthy of another thread, or not, unsure...)

Seems like the Genesis options are really heating up now.

We've talked about these at length in the Mega RetroN HD thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284147-why-is-no-one-talking-about-this-new-hyperkin-genesis-hd-clone/

tl;dr: both of the options you suggested can't handle 256x224 games (Shining Force, Street Fighter) very well because of just huge, unforgivable scaling artifacts, and the Minigen is mono sound only (like the Fei Hao clone from 18 months ago). I put my money where my mouth was and shelled out for the RetroN so that my life could serve as a warning to others. :(

The Minigen has the same problem with 256x224 games, and not a SINGLE review online talks about it. It's so jarring that I put mine back in the box.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I guess I missed that other thread somehow (bad head cold, my only excuse), thx for the direction on that.

Didn't realize until re-reading all the info that no controller is currently included on the Mega SG, that's a bit of a frowner. I'd personally rather have that than the Master converter, but that's me. So with the 8bitDo controller and shipping, looking at around $250. But again, it should prospectively do everything short of 32X (if the Bios issues for Sega CD aren't problematic and the expansion they mention is good).

And hey, we all appreciate your shelling out for the RetroN, but at least it was under $50, right? :P And gives you something to kick around that's better than other options while waiting for the Mega SG.

• Like 1

And hey, we all appreciate your shelling out for the RetroN, but at least it was under $50, right? :P And gives you something to kick around that's better than other options while waiting for the Mega SG.

Of the clone consoles, the RetroN is by far the best, for sure. I've owned a Super Retro Trio in the past (just brutally bad audio) and a Firecore AtGames (also terrible) that I got for free as part of a big bundle of games. I haven't tried the other HDMI-equipped ones but video proves out they have the same scaling issues, and all the reviews say those others don't have stereo sound. If you're picky (and I'm super picky) they're not ideal, but if you just want to play some Genesis games, they're good enough for sure.

• 1 month later...

For the inevitable point in time where it's sold out and there are months between the next available batch like with the Super NT, this can serve as the obligatory "OSSC + RGB reminder" post. Even if you have to buy the console, it'll still come out cheaper than the Mega NT, and it'll work with other consoles.

Anyway, with that out of the way, it's nice to see this happening. My need for one is non-existent, but I'm sure others will find it useful. It's also good to see it'll connect to a Sega CD. Here's to hoping they can get 32X compatibility eventually.

Well said Sir. Super Cool console and awesome work, but nothing beats original hardware.

• 1 month later...