IGNORED

So Dark Souls Remastered is out today

Tanooki

But i wouldn't touch any of them on my early rest days after doing night shifts as i knew i would loose my shit with them.

Yeah, that's a small problem for me (still on nights as I type). Although a bigger problem is me not wanting to stop playing and not getting enough sleep! That's doubly bad when you work graveyards.

• Like 1

You "equip" the fireballs at a bonfire, by selecting Attunement. That will place them on the "up" hot bar to cycle through.

I'm trying to help you git gud and share my love of Souls games.

You know I saw the attunement bit and did that, which is why it was not making any sense to me why for some dumb reason I couldn't select it from the mini menu while actively walking about the land. It was in that up/top spot of the boxes on the left of the screen which show your weapon/shield/flask stuff going on there. It just refused to fire, maybe it's a Switch issue for whatever reason.

In the end like Dragon there said you have to be in the right frame of mind, and mine is shot by it now due to all the wonky stuff going on with the camera, control, fireball, and a couple other odd things. And while I don't have early rest days, I do just not have time to put up with something making me dislike it as I play it more than not with the limited time I have.

The game is gone, I shipped it back. Maybe I'll grab it on Steam under some gross price cut sale in a day, a week, a year or not. I'm just not going to put myself through unncessary confusing and annoying bullshit and try and make myself like something when it comes off so unlikeable. The sad thing is, it wasn't even all that hard to me for the spaces I was messing with, a few cheap moments sure (like the 3 skeletons that popped up mid way through the graveyard) but I think perhaps it was the wrong way to go for level of development. The more I dug into reading about the game on a wiki I found, I think it's perhaps an overly nitpicking type game you can easily screw yourself on if you don't just happen to know in advance what way to develop up or not because you can level yourself into a corner on top of all the other challenges too. I don't mind hard or demanding, but games that can have you waste 20-40 hours where you dig yourself an unwitting grave is also a big put off.

• Like 1

but you have to be in the right frame of mind for them.

That, and you also sort of need to forget about all the conditioning we got from "normal" RPGs over the years, because FromSoftware does things their way, always had - after all Souls are the next-gen King's Field series. These changes are sometimes subtle but crucial, especially given how unforgiving these games are. And of course the whole progression path is different: you die, learn something new, upgrade a bit and rinse' n repeat, instead of just strolling from point A to B like in most other games. It's more akin to a roguelike system.

It's a bit sad that it all usually boils down to that "HC vs casual" squabbling - here and elsewhere - instead of trying to explain the different approach, becase it definitely stops lots of people trying it out and giving up in frustration (similar to roguelikes again) and in effect lots of folks missing out on an amazing experience.

Myself, I'm not even good at them at all, never got any further than maybe ~1/3rd in any of them (I'm not a fan of boss battles generally in games and here it can be a real pain). But I'm glad they exist and will eventually come back to them, don't have any modern rig atm.

One aspect that seldom gets mentioned - it's always about that "difficult!" angle - is the astonishing art & atmosphere prevailing in all the entries. The feeling of doom, gloom and overall alienness is unparalled and some of the visual sets simply mindblowing. It's the ultimate grimdark of videogames, especially seeing as you are no hero, just a hollowed husk, stumbling around gothic-nightmare landscapes.

• Like 1

Some great points brought up by all over the last few posts.

It's very rare for myself to stick with a game for long these days if it's starting to do my head in, for whatever reason.

I've a pile of shame to go through as it is and can't justify investing time on a title i am just not enjoying.

I did return to and finished the last Deus Ex game and i have just picked up GTA V again, but these are 2 ou of over 20+ titles i had tred, didn't like, despite them getting rave reviews, that were ditched.

I did try the original Kings Field on Playstation at the time, hated it.

Far too slow and clunky for myself.

When i first encountered Demon's Souls on PS3, i had become very jaded with the industry, wanted something different and I delivered that in spades.

It didn't hold your hand, it handed you your ass...

The sense of forboding entering each new area and making a new discovery was unrivalled.

I did find DS II a little 'cheap'...it threw in bosses just for the sake of it at times it seemed..

I've always viewed the Souls games as the same type as the Monster Hunter series...you either embrace them from the off, or know they just aren't for you.

• Like 1

You know I saw the attunement bit and did that, which is why it was not making any sense to me why for some dumb reason I couldn't select it from the mini menu while actively walking about the land. It was in that up/top spot of the boxes on the left of the screen which show your weapon/shield/flask stuff going on there. It just refused to fire, maybe it's a Switch issue for whatever reason.

In the end like Dragon there said you have to be in the right frame of mind, and mine is shot by it now due to all the wonky stuff going on with the camera, control, fireball, and a couple other odd things. And while I don't have early rest days, I do just not have time to put up with something making me dislike it as I play it more than not with the limited time I have.

The game is gone, I shipped it back. Maybe I'll grab it on Steam under some gross price cut sale in a day, a week, a year or not. I'm just not going to put myself through unncessary confusing and annoying bullshit and try and make myself like something when it comes off so unlikeable. The sad thing is, it wasn't even all that hard to me for the spaces I was messing with, a few cheap moments sure (like the 3 skeletons that popped up mid way through the graveyard) but I think perhaps it was the wrong way to go for level of development. The more I dug into reading about the game on a wiki I found, I think it's perhaps an overly nitpicking type game you can easily screw yourself on if you don't just happen to know in advance what way to develop up or not because you can level yourself into a corner on top of all the other challenges too. I don't mind hard or demanding, but games that can have you waste 20-40 hours where you dig yourself an unwitting grave is also a big put off.

You can never level yourself into a corner in Dark Souls. In fact, you can grind away the difficulty with souls for levels/weapon upgrades if desired.

I think you gave up too soon, but maybe there's some glitches on the Switch version factoring in, I've only played the original on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

If you can hang with old school NES games like Zelda II, Castlevania, Ghouls n Ghosts, and even Mega Man, then the difficulty should be no problem, but maybe you're one who is more comfortable with 2D games. The other thing is that Dark Souls isn't a 'character action game' like Devil May Cry or whatever, the combat is more like a fighting game with animation priorities, spacing, etc (also a bit like Monster Hunter).

If you were to continue, we souls vets are here to offer advice, just like you probably got tips for old obtuse NES games. That's the true Souls experience.

• Like 2

I found the online community to be superb whilst playing the Souls games.

From people assisting taking down bosses i would never of managed to handle just using the A.I controlled NPC characters, to guiding me through some very tricky areas and they were always there with advice.

It became a pleasure to then assist other players online with boss battles etc as i knew just how grateful i was people were willing to assist myself.

First time i had really encountered folks working together so well online.

I'd previously liked Left4Dead, but it was very hit n mess when it came to other players working as a team or all trying to do their own thing.

You can never level yourself into a corner in Dark Souls. In fact, you can grind away the difficulty with souls for levels/weapon upgrades if desired.

I think you gave up too soon, but maybe there's some glitches on the Switch version factoring in, I've only played the original on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

If you can hang with old school NES games like Zelda II, Castlevania, Ghouls n Ghosts, and even Mega Man, then the difficulty should be no problem, but maybe you're one who is more comfortable with 2D games. The other thing is that Dark Souls isn't a 'character action game' like Devil May Cry or whatever, the combat is more like a fighting game with animation priorities, spacing, etc (also a bit like Monster Hunter).

If you were to continue, we souls vets are here to offer advice, just like you probably got tips for old obtuse NES games. That's the true Souls experience.

Fair enough.

Maybe? I tried it twice (two restarts) with two different builds. I didn't find it that hard, definitely not a demon souls type of sadism at all. Maybe it does have a glitch or two in there as I was following the process people told me and I saw in a video clip, the G D fireball would not equip so it was there on screen in that left part on top of the 4 but hazed out and unusable by any process and yes I did click attune which hit that menu issue there where I could "O" highlight it, but then if I backed out of the menu it would stick unless I undid that. Something foul was up.

Yes I can hang with those games, and for some genres yeah I am better off sticking to 2D, but not really in the big picture as I'm not someone who got lost in transition other than I think most Mario64 type games of that genre are crap due to camera fights and not level/enemy kills. I could tell right off (and I do hate monster hunter, not the play of it, but the asinine overkill level of breaking stuff and harvesting goods) it was like that game and others, with spacing and pacing. I did just that clubbing skeletons and slashing those walking piece of beef jerky in armor just fine. The boss was just much left to be desired as it was a clunk fest camera fight for me. I don't mind fighting a hard boss, but I do HATE fighting the system more than the content as it's a design problem that prohibits my enjoyment of what was intended. Games like that I bail on and move on to the next as is sucks the fun out.

And yeah I could come back, doubtful on Switch though and not because of the system, but I'm just not paying up large twice. A big fat heavy cut future Steam sale would be fine. Maybe it would play better with a 360 controller on there or mouse/keyboards for better camera and play control mechanics.

It was a glitch/bug in PS4 Deus Ex that killed my inital interest in it.

I was struggling with it as it was, game seemed a lot slower paced than it's predecessor and the game didn't place an essential NPC in an area, whom i needed to meet and talk with, in order to progress.

I could of resorted back to an earlier save or held onto the game hoping the issue would be patched, but instead moved onto something else.

Came back when game was greatly reduced in price, bought it new, sailed through the mission and went onto complete the game.

I'm currently enjoying GTA 5 a lot more the second attempt than i did when a friend lent me it on PS3 originally.

Sometimes you can go into games with certain expectations or simply not in the right state of mind and the frustrations really kill it for you.

Others just seem to click from the off.

But then there are much talked about titles you just know will never be your thing, no matter what friends and reviews tell you...

I completed The Last Of Us on PS3 but it was no way the game i had been lead to believe, similar with Uncharted 4..reached last boss and i was a big fan of Uncharted 1 and 2, not so much 3...

I'd hope Bloodborne II or Dark Souls 4 did something different with the formula on newer console hardware.

It'd be glorious if Sony had Demon's Souls 2 as a PS5 early title..it's about the only thing that could get me interested in a new console, but i don't want the same formula just in 4K and 60 FPS. .

Surprise me From Software/Sony...Please.

That clicking bit is truth. Everyone seem to blow the old Resident Evil games for their style, locked camera, obtuse sorta puzzles, tank control and the rest and it's like I feel left out thinking they're shitty, but i just can't play the franchise. I got deep into #2 and nearly finished Veronica but I can't handle the junk so it never will be my thing. Other talked about like Last of Us, I found that no fun at all outside of the story, but the rest blew (for me) so hard I Just sold it.

Dark Souls though, this one is kind of on the level of a few things I've played before, so I'm chocking it up to either something fouled up in the Switch release people are glossing over sucking up to it being OOH DS on the go, let's give it a 9 mentality, or it's just not hte right time, maybe both? I don't know probably never will. I imagine if I can snap it on Steam for $10-20 I'd bother again with it, but that's about it.

• Like 1

You haven't seen anything yet. icon_smile.gif

Exactly. These games are definitely not for everyone.

I got halfway through Demons Souls years ago, gave up. Forced myself to beat Dark Souls which at that point I told myself I'm never playing these games again. And......I did pick up Bloodborne but like Demons Souls I gave up after a while. There was a point in that game was just not worth it anymore (Shadow of Yharnam). What kicked my ass in Dark Souls was the Four Kings and that damn tree you had to scale.
These games are definitely better when playing together online aka Dark Souls 3, probably did it the best from what I read.
  • Like 1

Exactly. These games are definitely not for everyone.

I got halfway through Demons Souls years ago, gave up. Forced myself to beat Dark Souls which at that point I told myself I'm never playing these games again. And......I did pick up Bloodborne but like Demons Souls I gave up after a while. There was a point in that game was just not worth it anymore (Shadow of Yharnam). What kicked my ass in Dark Souls was the Four Kings and that damn tree you had to scale.

These games are definitely better when playing together online aka Dark Souls 3, probably did it the best from what I read.

Yeah, like Lost Dragon said, I think these games are best experienced in the beginning with team mates. Playing them solo without help is rough, and that's how I did it (no Xbox Live, so no online play for me). There are ways to help yourself though, like turning human and summoning NPCs for the boss battles. But ultimately, it's trial by fire when played by yourself. I highly recommend looking at walkthroughs for these games to get you up to speed faster.

The difficulty can be deceptive though, as is the case with the Four Kings. I got wrecked by this fight on my first playthrough. Even on my second, come to think of it. But by my third, with the help of folks in my stream chat, I realized it was a DPS fight (damage-per-second) and that's it. On that playthrough I focused on using a katana and pumping up my dexterity. I took on the Four Kings last, and in the fight I just sat in place, attacked repeatedly and tanked all the hits. I annihilated the boss without having to do much of anything at all (I didn't even bother dodge-rolling). So what I once thought was a really difficult fight, ended up being one of the easiest in the game. Other bosses are like this as well, but overcoming them with ease comes with familiarity and practice.

• Like 1

Basically if you don't play online it seems you're likely highly more so to just get screwed by the vagueness and strangeness of it all from the enemies to the expanse of itself. I didn't have it online, not my thing, then again I don't recall seeing that as a choice when I hit new game anyway. That first fight wasn't so bad with the big boss, just had to kind of stay behind its left foot and pan with it as it swung around and just kept hacking at it. So that does fit with finding some exposed bit or just tanking if that's a choice and taking the blows. As I said, not paying full price for it, amazon the moment UPS tracking showed as moving refunded me anyway, so when steam does some nuts 50%+ off sale I'll perhaps give it another go. Something like this may be more approachable on here as the computer is on so I can click in/out of it as it annoys me or not at my own time and pacing. I liked the content I had seen with the land, story bits, and the rest. I know you can go human, guessing it just doesn't happen that early which would make sense.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/31/bloodborne-dark-souls-creator-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview

You get some insights from series creator here why he makes his games so vague.

"When Hidetaka Miyazaki was a child, he was a keen reader, though not a talented one. Often he’d reach passages of text he couldn’t understand, and so would allow his imagination to fill in the blanks, using the accompanying illustrations. In this way, he felt he was co-writing the fiction alongside its original author. The thrill of this process never left him – and it is very much there in his arcane and fascinating video games."

Edited by Lost Dragon

Basically if you don't play online it seems you're likely highly more so to just get screwed by the vagueness and strangeness of it all from the enemies to the expanse of itself.

No. Not at all. This series (Souls + Bloodborne) has become my favorite of all time. And while they're fun to play through strictly co-op with a buddy or 2, at least as much as the game allows, I've always made it a point to play through each release solo first before doing any real co-op. I'll occasionally pull in a stranger for a few minutes, or throw my sign down to allow someone to summon me for a few, but to me, playing solo allows time to explore, taking it all in at my own pace and fully embracing the vagueness and strangeness that you mentioned, which feels exactly how I imagined my character should feel on this adventure.

You seem pretty down on it, and nothing wrong with that -- we all like what we like and these games aren't for everyone -- but the game isn't broken, cheap, or unplayable by any means, and we fans, for the most part (can't speak for everyone) find that the "vagueness and strangeness of it all" is, so very much, one of the game's major strengths.

• Like 1

Not so much down on it, but I wonder if the Switch one had some added issues as I'd even do what people say here and it just didn't want to do it in that game like arming the fireball. I got fed up with the apparent bugs or poorly worded situation whatever it was. I'm likely not done with it, just on Switch I am, but I wishlisted it for sale notifications on Steam.

Controls feel off in Dark Souls at first. Then they suddenly click with you. And when they do it feels GOOD. The mechanics are not immediately accessible but they do make sense. The game has a certain unique feel to it. Dark Souls is the only game I ever immediately played through a second time after completing it. As in I watched the closing scene and immediately proceeded into New Game+ without so much as a break. When I finished getting the final achievement I actually had to take a break from gaming for a while because every game I tried to get into afterwards bored the shit out of me. After a few months that wore off but it's the first time I have experienced that. Later I went back and played through Demon's Souls. Loved it. Dark Souls 2 got a lot of flack by fans. I played through the SotFS edition. Loved it. I can't get enough of these games. But they are not for everyone. It's not a Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, or Fable style of RPG. I love those games too but they are made to appeal to as broad a gamer as possible. If you get pissed when you die in a game, or it pisses you off to have to replay a section over and over, or you get frustrated by a hard boss... the game isn't for you. When it comes to Dark Souls 1 in particular I think a high percentage of people will find the Anor Londo archers or S&O to be a brick wall for them at which they will cut their losses and move on to another game. Of the games in the series this one has a particularly steep difficulty curve, where Blighttown is a lot harder than the area that precedes it, and then a huge difficulty spike when you reach the archers and then S&O. It can really be too much for a lot of people. It probably isn't the best introduction to the series. I think Demon's Souls had a more even experience. It was shorter, you could take the areas in parts, and there were some great boss fights without any of them seeming impossible to overcome. Of the games in the series I find Dark Souls to be the most memorable though. It really gets a whole lot right. Anyway, don't take the "casul" stuff seriously. It's a joke. Nobody blames anyone for deciding the game isn't their cup of tea and moving on to something else.

Edited by Hyper_Eye
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea but I think the price drop I found goaded me into giving it another shot but I have the game again. Oddly this time I've gone farther and for some dumb reason the fireball spell works now too. SO far have it up to like 1/2 through undeadburg where the kindling spot is so I have it saved beyond the opening area at least. I redid my pyromancer with that thieves key to start. Just realized you had breakable weapons (ugh) in the game, hoping I can just keep killing stuff for awhile and save up the scratch so I can buy from the merchant there that repair at the fire place kit but it's like 3k for it.

• Like 1

I don't really see what the issue is with that. Not trying to rip on you or others but it's kind of cheap and petty to get hung up over that. The game handles the controls just fine. Yes it is opposite of the Nintendo generic menu system of the console including annoyingly admittedly the pop up keyboard to enter your new characters name, but it does not negatively impact the control of the game. They'll never patch it because it is a uniform control setup for PC, PS, XB.

I have no idea but I think the price drop I found goaded me into giving it another shot but I have the game again. Oddly this time I've gone farther and for some dumb reason the fireball spell works now too. SO far have it up to like 1/2 through undeadburg where the kindling spot is so I have it saved beyond the opening area at least. I redid my pyromancer with that thieves key to start. Just realized you had breakable weapons (ugh) in the game, hoping I can just keep killing stuff for awhile and save up the scratch so I can buy from the merchant there that repair at the fire place kit but it's like 3k for it.

There is a blacksmith below Firelink Shrine in New Londo Ruins who can repair gear if you need to before you are able to buy the repair kit.

• Like 1

Just save for the repair kit at that bonfire in Undeadburg. Every time you access the bonfire all the enemies respawn, so you can build the souls needed there quickly. It's also good combat practice when you are new to the game. Helps you get into a better rhythm with how combat works, and you can practice your blocking and practice your parries (very, very useful when you get good at it), all while racking up the necessary souls. Access the bonfire again to make the enemies respawn and to regain your estus flasks.

• Like 1

I can not parry in the least bit, never works. I've not advanced further in the game, but did screw that jerk of a knight over faking him into committing suicide which was a feel good moment and got me a nice ring for it. I've picked up all the armor to buy, the key, and that repair kit.

The farthest I walked was the castle wall kind of looking space, which had this ladder on it and 2 dudes up top. I thought easy kill being crossbows but they whipped out these pikes or swords and I got double teamed, didn't go back as of yet. I'm not sure what the hell the deal is but I can not handle pike soldiers at all, they tear me to pieces as they always block with that damn shield so I use my limited fire to light them up. I don't have much of a problem with anyone else so far, just those annoyances. I've picked up quite a few weapon drops too, kind of odd you can't sell or destroy things at least so far given you have a weight issue to watch out for.