IGNORED

So Dark Souls Remastered is out today

Tanooki

I can not parry in the least bit, never works. I've not advanced further in the game, but did screw that jerk of a knight over faking him into committing suicide which was a feel good moment and got me a nice ring for it. I've picked up all the armor to buy, the key, and that repair kit.

The farthest I walked was the castle wall kind of looking space, which had this ladder on it and 2 dudes up top. I thought easy kill being crossbows but they whipped out these pikes or swords and I got double teamed, didn't go back as of yet. I'm not sure what the hell the deal is but I can not handle pike soldiers at all, they tear me to pieces as they always block with that damn shield so I use my limited fire to light them up. I don't have much of a problem with anyone else so far, just those annoyances. I've picked up quite a few weapon drops too, kind of odd you can't sell or destroy things at least so far given you have a weight issue to watch out for.

Parrying takes a ton of practice. I didn't get decent with it until my third playthrough, heh, so I wouldn't stress it too much. That said, ensure you are using your shield as much as you can on normal enemies. You can block a lot more than you might think. Also, make sure that when you are fighting a single enemy, to lock on to them. Then, rotate towards their back and get comfortable with backstabbing. It works very well on most enemies in Undeadburg. Also, like it was said, the kick attack is great for shielded enemies.

If you don't think there's anything else you want at the merchant, you can kill him. He drops an excellent katana. I often get that immediately and use it as my main weapon for the rest of the game. It requires you to pump dexterity into it, but it's worth it.

• Like 2

If you don't think there's anything else you want at the merchant, you can kill him. He drops an excellent katana. I often get that immediately and use it as my main weapon for the rest of the game. It requires you to pump dexterity into it, but it's worth it.

FYI, though, in case you didn't already know. If you kill him, he doesn't come back. This goes for all NPCs as far as I remember. I've seen many, many people over the years claiming that the game is "broken," and their save is "ruined" by this sort of thing. Kill 'em if you wanna, but know they don't come back until the next playthrough.

FYI, though, in case you didn't already know. If you kill him, he doesn't come back. This goes for all NPCs as far as I remember. I've seen many, many people over the years claiming that the game is "broken," and their save is "ruined" by this sort of thing. Kill 'em if you wanna, but know they don't come back until the next playthrough.

Yep, they are dead-dead. There are other merchants in the game though, so he becomes redundant pretty early on.

Parrying takes a ton of practice. I didn't get decent with it until my third playthrough, heh, so I wouldn't stress it too much. That said, ensure you are using your shield as much as you can on normal enemies. You can block a lot more than you might think. Also, make sure that when you are fighting a single enemy, to lock on to them. Then, rotate towards their back and get comfortable with backstabbing. It works very well on most enemies in Undeadburg. Also, like it was said, the kick attack is great for shielded enemies.

I need to try the game again, been in a no-game mood the last couple of days. I never really have used kick in the game so far or backstab, but the shield has been used quite a bit. I had the junk original, then got a round one, then got a larger one, and finally the best defense is that heater shield from that merchant. Unlike the littler ones the last two seem to totally defend from lame hits so I don't get chipped away at where I'm at. I think the kicking aspect is what's getting me with those pokey spear/sword types that are fast and refuse to swing or slash.

Killing that merchant does sound tempting, but there are supplies there I would like for now at least to have access to. I got lucky and picked up a crossbow and I don't have any bolts for it currently.

I think another part of my issue with the game is that you're overly open on what to do, so I have no idea if I'm building my pyromancer well or terribly. I was thinking of walking back to the start and buying that heal spell since I have a talisman and faith raised high enough to use it. It could help pad out some added life on top of those flasks.

After that last post I got determined to play the game again. It took about 5 tries I think, but I just scratched by kicking the Taurus Demons ass just using my sword and heater shield. I read you could use that pine oil or whatever it is you get in that locked house, I selected it in the menu, but he wouldn't throw it, so whatever the deal I slugged it out instead. I know if I were 1-2sec slower in that last blow I'd have been laid flat. I know probably not the wisest, but on a trickle of health I ran back to the last bonfire and called it, I don't care if I have to plug a few idiots again, the walkway is clear.

I also stupidly keep forgetting I have FF15 Pocket on my Switch, Nintendo ran this odd(for them) sale with a deep cut for the day it came out so I snapped it up since Square is so tight fisted on discounting and ask a lot more than any other mobile game maker. I read up a little, looks fun, really need to start it.

I don't follow. I guess I'll have to experiment. I set it to one of those 4 spaces on the left corner and tried to use it and it didn't, so I just slugged it out with the Taurus Demon and won, read after the fact that it's a nasty one at my level especially without so that's encouraging at least.

I don't follow. I guess I'll have to experiment. I set it to one of those 4 spaces on the left corner and tried to use it and it didn't, so I just slugged it out with the Taurus Demon and won, read after the fact that it's a nasty one at my level especially without so that's encouraging at least.

Pine Resin.

Equip it in your equipment slot.

Have a sword/axe/whatever in your right hand and your weapon now has a limited special ability.

Bosses are weak to things like fire/lightning/dark/poison etc..specific elements per boss.

The enhanced weaponry gives you an essential edge.

Actually can't thank you enough for getting me back into DSIII after reading this thread.

2 days free PS+ and i have just camped outside various boss areas,put my summon sign down and helped other players kick serious ass..

Levelled up more in 48 hrs than i have in months and other players got past a boss they were struggling with.

Win and indeed win :-D

• Like 1

Game Advice i can give is limited :-))

But i took same approach for all the Souls games.

Never learned to parry..

Choose Knight as character class.

Pyromancy was focus of my magic.

Built up strength etc so i could use heavy armour,weapons etc.

Got in close and personal and duked it out till only 1 of us was left standing :-D

I have the utmost respect for the spritely players wearing little to no armour,so nimble on their feet and make boss fights look like act of dance..

Remarkable.

The hot bar is the same row on the equip screen that has your estus flask, you cycle through items there by pressing down on the dpad while in game.

• Like 1

Yeah I know you can press down as that's where the estus was, just like pressing right should be for the weapon, up for your magic (fireball pyromancy here) and left for the shield. Anything off the menu you pop into the extra space(s) can then be tapped on that d-pad direction again to choose it. That's at least what I tried to do with the resin, didn't do crap.

Either way I won the fight, even if it took longer than it should since I slashed the thing with the sword.

I'm debating playing it again tonight. I know just from things online I get to meet Solaire beyond that gate where the battle took place and some other stuff to find too. I just feel bad about leaving other games ignored so I tend to hop around. Sometimes I wonder if I just need to stop buying stuff for many systems so I can just focus on one. :\

I'm debating playing it again tonight. I know just from things online I get to meet Solaire beyond that gate where the battle took place and some other stuff to find too. I just feel bad about leaving other games ignored so I tend to hop around. Sometimes I wonder if I just need to stop buying stuff for many systems so I can just focus on one. :\

Man that is so counter to the way I approach games. I pick a game off my backlog and I play that game exclusively until I complete it. I complete every game I play except in very very rare cases where I'm just not enjoying a game at all. Assassin's Creed 2 is an example of a game that I retired because, even after something like 15 hours, I still sucked at the combat, fell to my death all the damn time, and the story was really hard to follow. I know people love the game but it just didn't click with me. That is quite atypical. The good thing about my approach to gaming is that I never have a need to buy brand new games. I'm not going to play them at that time so there's no point in paying $60. I just wait until they are between $10-$20.

I used to be that way and I was for a long time. But after we had a kid and she got old enough to really demand attention that a toddler and so on asks, my time got more limited as did my energy to put into such things. So because I don't want to miss out I'll jump between stuff, but the down side is I don't finish much at all anymore which I dislike, but I consider it a fair compromise.

I will like you did on AC2 and retire a game, but usually I retire in two ways. I get fed up because it sucks or I can't get satisfaction out of it in probably at most 10 hours, usually depending on genre half that, and I'll get rid of it. The other would be, I know I could get into it if I had better time and focus, so I'll semi-retire it, kind of like how some jocks quit then make a miracle come back for more at a later date. I rarely semi-retire because I realize I won't have the time later, so I'll just sell it or trade it off with someone else for something that makes more sense.

I don't buy many new games either, and with the prime discount dead I'll be buying less until I can find the lower price I was liking plus time to bother, and if something I value more pops up before that occurs likely i'll never buy it so that's kind of a win anyway. Like you said, enough aren't worth the $60, so wait for it to be $10-20. I do this a lot, but also at that level of price I just play to enjoy and if I get tired I feel better about moving on as I don't have $50+ tied up in it.

Currently the only modern system I actively use/buy for is the Switch, though I do have a 3DS the last 2 games were Metroid and Mario and Luigi SSS and neither ended up near being finished. One I got for 1/2 off after was Pokemon Ultra Sun, and it's like 1/2 done as I like to just pick at it for battles. Beyond that I casually pick up slowly games for the PS1 if I know I'll play it, and also the Core Grafx 2 (PCE) and that second one I haven't picked up anything in months and I'm considering an everdrive to fix that problem. Unless I get something on GoG/Steam (also rare now) I don't buy anymore. That's just how limited it is for me on time+energy to bother that I can barely keep up with Switch stuff. I think if I could get out of some level of gamer depression or procrastination whatever it is and forceably commit myself to play stuff most nights of the week I'd get so much more done but pulling the trigger is the hardest. I also like to bum around online, watch movies, and other junk too so it's a battle. :(

I have two kids, a teen and a pre-teen. I need something to do to take a break from things. Playing guitar, piano, video games, and working on my lawn are those things for me. It takes me a while to finish a game but I still just prefer to stick with a game until I complete it. I just finished Doom (2016) and my play time (according to my submission on HowLongToBeat.com) was 19h 17m 24s. That took me five weeks.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

• 2 months later...

Well..

In no small part thanks to this thread rekindling my interest in the Soul games, i completed DSIII last weekend and majority of it's DLC.

Now back on Bloodborne and into the DLC and living it once more.

But i think i will be giving Shadows Die Twice a pass.

It seems too Tenchu inspired for myself and i prefer the art style and setting of the Souls and Bloodborne environments.

I appreciate From Software breaking away from the established games, but no online has put me off as well.

Words i never thought i would find myself saying.

• Like 1

Well..

In no small part thanks to this thread rekindling my interest in the Soul games, i completed DSIII last weekend and majority of it's DLC.

Now back on Bloodborne and into the DLC and living it once more.

But i think i will be giving Shadows Die Twice a pass.

It seems too Tenchu inspired for myself and i prefer the art style and setting of the Souls and Bloodborne environments.

I appreciate From Software breaking away from the established games, but no online has put me off as well.

Words i never thought i would find myself saying.

Let us know how you enjoy the orphan...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...