IGNORED

Why is no one talking about this new Hyperkin Genesis HD clone?

MantaNZ

Its amazing - well known company but none of the retro gaming YouTubers have covered it (not since it was seen in the wild in a show in January) as far as I can see and for the life of me I cant find any info (which is probably why it hasnt been covered) on this device other than this store page.

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/hyperkin-megaretron-hd-gaming-console/28469605

Ive pre ordered. This MUST be available for preorder elsewhere and not just here in little old New Zealand. Anyone know anything about this?

3 days to late. analogue just announced the mega sg on the 16th! ;-)

Edit: I just read your replies. Spend the extra money if you want quality. Sms was popular in PAL territories so you get that thrown in as well.

3 days to late. analogue just announced the mega sg on the 16th! ;-)

Edit: I just read your replies. Spend the extra money if you want quality. Sms was popular in PAL territories so you get that thrown in as well.

TBH Id rather just buy another Mega Drive if I was that worried about accuracy. My Pi does a damned good job though so Im happy. No lag with my wired controllers, crisp graphics and awesome sound. Its even a better experience than a Genesis with HD Retrovision cables IMO, mainly because I can save progress and play literally thousands of games from multiple systems. Its pretty much the perfect solution for me so Im not too keen to drop US$189 on a clone no matter how good it is.

In saying all that the Hyperkin one if it had stereo sound might have tempted me back into collecting physical games... lol maybe I should just save for that Mega Sg.

Edited by MantaNZ

Hyperkin had their new Genesis clone up and running at their booth during PRGE. It looked okay and seemed to be the same physical size as a model 2 Genesis, but strangely it seemed to sit a bit taller? I was never able to get a really good look at it, but they certainly weren't demoing it very well. They had it on a decent sized flat panel HDTV, but the image was stretched, and it was definitely in MONO. Because the game being played was Sonic2 and I could tell by the music and ring pickups that it wasn't in stereo. So they either only connected up one audio line up or it only outputs mono sound. The picture from it was also very soft looking compared to my actual Genesis at home with HDretrovision cables through an OSSC. So it didn't look like something I would be that interested in.

Then again, I'm stupid picky about the Genesis/MD in general so as usual, I'm NOT their target for this.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 2

Hyperkin had their new Genesis clone up and running at their booth during PRGE. It looked okay and seemed to be the same physical size as a model 2 Genesis, but strangely it seemed to sit a bit taller? I was never able to get a really good look at it, but they certainly weren't demoing it very well. They had it on a decent sized flat panel HDTV, but the image was stretched, and it was definitely in MONO. Because the game being played was Sonic2 and I could tell by the music and ring pickups that it wasn't in stereo. So they either only connected up one audio line up or it only outputs mono sound. The picture from it was also very soft looking compared to my actual Genesis at home with HDretrovision cables through an OSSC. So it didn't look like something I would be that interested in.

Then again, I'm stupid picky about the Genesis/MD in general so as usual, I'm NOT their target for this.

Thanks for the info mate. Yeah, thinking about it I might save the pennies for the Analogue unit. The Pi is awesome but there's some sort of psychological issue that prevents me from having 'that' feeling when not using original carts. Even using the Retron 5 gave me the warm fuzzies. Lol. The Master System and Mega Drive give me the most nostalgia so I think it might be worth it - I will wait for reviews though. I'm in no rush. Edited by MantaNZ

Makes me wonder if they are using emulation for this one, and if so, the soft image might be a filter applied that can be disabled. Otherwise, man.. That would be a deal breaker for me. I like my pixels nice and sharp (not that this product is for me either, but I'm always interested in seeing the progress of these things over the years).

Edited by Austin

Makes me wonder if they are using emulation for this one, and if so, the soft image might be a filter applied that can be disabled. Otherwise, man.. That would be a deal breaker for me. I like my pixels nice and sharp (not that this product is for me either, but I'm always interested in seeing the progress of these things over the years).

I wanted to get a better look at it and hold it in my hand etc, but to be honest it was constantly in use being played by someone whenever I was around it. They basically just had the Retro '77 and this new Genesis clone on display for play. To be honest, the image from it didn't look much better than what I've seen when you run composite through an HDMI converter. The fact it was stretched 16:9 would also point to that being the case here. So it might just be another clone like what already exists with using a composite to hdmi converter internally with the ability to take carts. It did look like the pics online I've seen of it. Size wise in thinking about it more, it actually looked about the same size as a Dreamcast to be honest and if you just glanced at it, you could be forgiven for thinking it was a DC clone of sorts.

AtGames does that with their crap (and I do mean crap in every sense of the word) but Hyperkin typically uses cloned hardware for their consoles save for the 77. It's most likely a GOAC console with a cheap built-in composite to HDMI converter, similar to what they do with their "HD" NES and SNES clones.

I wanted to get a better look at it and hold it in my hand etc, but to be honest it was constantly in use being played by someone whenever I was around it. They basically just had the Retro '77 and this new Genesis clone on display for play. To be honest, the image from it didn't look much better than what I've seen when you run composite through an HDMI converter. The fact it was stretched 16:9 would also point to that being the case here. So it might just be another clone like what already exists with using a composite to hdmi converter internally with the ability to take carts. It did look like the pics online I've seen of it. Size wise in thinking about it more, it actually looked about the same size as a Dreamcast to be honest and if you just glanced at it, you could be forgiven for thinking it was a DC clone of sorts.

AtGames does that with their crap (and I do mean crap in every sense of the word) but Hyperkin typically uses cloned hardware for their consoles save for the 77. It's most likely a GOAC console with a cheap built-in composite to HDMI converter, similar to what they do with their "HD" NES and SNES clones.

I was thinking the possibility of this as well. Of course, with the Retron 5 and more recently the Retron 77, emulation shouldn't be ruled out entirely. But I agree, it's probably more likely a GOAC with a cheap converter built in. Bit of a shame if that's the case, because one upside to the R5 and 77 is that at least the image looks pretty decent, comparatively speaking anyway.

Edited by Austin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw0-adAlops

Not my vid but had to share. Cheaper and better than AtGames options at least!

Yeap and apparently I was mistaken (Thank goodness), as it does appear to be in stereo and it does look pretty good on HDMI. So I can only guess they didn't have it connected via HDMI and they certainly didn't have the 4:3 - 16:9 switch set to 4:3 since it was stretched out. The audio was not stereo at the show though so either that was a pre-production unit or they just had it connected in some strange way. Either way, they way it was being shown didn't impress at PRGE but in this review it seems to be pretty decent. Especially since it does play MegaED carts!

• Like 1

Whoa. Sure he was comparing with a Genesis model 2 which wont sound as good as the better mode 1, but I preferred the sound of the Retron. And it works with an Everdrive, which is nice. Aside from Master System weirdness it seems to have done nicely.

Might pick one of these up to use until I get my Mega Sg. Seems like its not junk, and it works with flash carts. Thanks for posting the vid. Wonder when I can buy one plus the Bluetooth Retro-Bit controllers

Edited by derFunkenstein

Not sure if its the capture device or emulation but Sonics transparent blue shield was all kinds of wrong.

The video was 30Hz. The transparency of the shield relies on 60Hz alternating scanlines. I wouldnt worry about that.

edit: just ordered one from Castlemania games. I'll be sure to post back some thoughts as somebody waiting for the Mega Sg.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

The video was 30Hz. The transparency of the shield relies on 60Hz alternating scanlines. I wouldnt worry about that.

Ah right, thanks.

On another note, you know how I said we get ripped off in New Zealand? Well I'm glad I cancelled my pre-order. They're asking NZ$130. That's like US$80! I didn't think it would retail at $44. I'm in Hawaii at the moment so I'll try track one down, otherwise I'll order from Castlemania too.

Real Genesis systems are so cheap that there's no reason to get a clone system unless it's of the higher end FPGA type.

Yep, they're in local game stores for $20 Canadian and they have a bunch. Better to spend the money on Kevtris's unit and get something really good. For me, Genesis isn't important enough to me to buy one of these.

I simply don't trust Hyperkin enough to buy their stuff anymore. Even though Mad Pixels review seems to be positive, I don't trust the longevity of their products. To me they're barely half a step up from Atgames.

Ah right, thanks.

On another note, you know how I said we get ripped off in New Zealand? Well I'm glad I cancelled my pre-order. They're asking NZ$130. That's like US$80! I didn't think it would retail at $44. I'm in Hawaii at the moment so I'll try track one down, otherwise I'll order from Castlemania too.

At that price you might as well pay shipping from the US. That's crazy.

Real Genesis systems are so cheap that there's no reason to get a clone system unless it's of the higher end FPGA type.

If you have a CRT, sure, but if you want HDMI (fully knowing that it's just an upscaled analog image) this is about as good as it'll get for another 6 months. The composite image on my TCL 55P605 is so bad that this can only improve things.

Thanks for the link. I wonder what the "SEGA HD" marking on the board could mean? Not surprising that they don't want you to know exactly what chips are on there, though. Also amusing that they added weights to the top case.

Somebody smarter than me is going to have to tell us what the components are and whether they're any good, but I'll happily disassemble mine when it arrives and post high-res images.

It arrived today from Castlemania, which is fast. I ordered it on Sunday, they shipped it on Monday, and it was here on Wednesday. My cart collection is pretty small but I'll get to try it out tonight.

I did unbox it, though. Build quality on this unit is pretty decent. I squeezed it pretty firmly and the plastic doesn't flex at all, but I thought for sure it would. The reset switch is solid and the power button is clicky and pleasantly stiff. I think it might hold up over time. The unit itself is not as wide or deep as a Dreamcast, but it's about as tall as Sega's final console. Some long, thin, and cheap composite cables are in the box, but you didn't buy this thing to use it with composite video. There's an HDMI cable, too, but unfortunately it's much too short for my needs. I have plenty of longer spares laying around.

A typical 5-volt / 1-amp USB power supply is in the box, and the included cable is fairly long. The brick is a little bigger than the one that comes with an iPhone, and it won't block a second outlet on the typical vertically-aligned power strip. It's much smaller than the Nintendo charger that comes with the NES and SNES Classic consoles.

The controller feels nice in the hand. I disagree with one point in the MLP video that was posted in this thread: the controller's buttons are no more stiff than a brand new Hyperkin GN6 controller. The Sega 6 Button Aracde Pad-style D-pad feels pretty good overall, and it's less stiff than the GN6's. It'll do for now, for sure. The cable is plenty long—I'd say it's about 6 feet.

Weirdly enough, I'm legit excited to try this thing out, and I'll post back when I have.

• Like 1