IGNORED

Why is no one talking about this new Hyperkin Genesis HD clone?

MantaNZ

On 5/5/2019 at 11:24 AM, rmr_md said:

I've tested some games yesterday using a cheap Everdrive and I was somewhat disappointed with this clone. It still worth the $30, but I was expecting more after reading the reviews and comments here. The good news is that it ran everything I've tried to load (ROMs or Genesis cartridges). Everdrive had a garbled screen but it works if you press the reset button.

Master System games will only work using the HDMI output if you set the region switch to PAL, and this affects the sound/speed of the games. If you set to NTSC, the colors are messed up and there are some bars in the screen - looks like an issue with the HDMI scaler as noticed by derFunkenstein. The same games work just fine in NTSC if you use the AV output.

The audio output for Genesis games IS NOT true stereo. Sonic is the best game to test, and you will notice that only the first (or the second) ring you get will play a sound, the other is mute. The results are the same in HDMI and AV. They've set one of the channels to the right speaker (I can hear Sonic jumping and the part of the music) with unbalanced volume, but it plays totally different from a real Genesis or an emulator.

Mine works perfect on SMS games when set to ntsc-j. Maybe a run revision? Since master system games aren't region locked it's great.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

sorry to revive an old thread, but i have a few questions.  I hooked this up to a crt and it has horrible jail bars.  Also is the cartridge slight really really REALLY tight in this system or is it my everdrive (official krixzz one)?  The slightest tap on the system or even a slight breeze will cause the system to freeze.  I have the SNES version as well and it doesnt have any of these issues.     I have since rebought an actual SNES but I am wondering if I should get a real genesis again (sold my collection off a while back) of if this is good enough.. but i have a retrotink 5x coming soon and wondering if it's worth using this system on it?  it has composite out.    

On 12/7/2021 at 4:33 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

sorry to revive an old thread, but i have a few questions.  I hooked this up to a crt and it has horrible jail bars.  Also is the cartridge slight really really REALLY tight in this system or is it my everdrive (official krixzz one)?  The slightest tap on the system or even a slight breeze will cause the system to freeze.  I have the SNES version as well and it doesnt have any of these issues.     I have since rebought an actual SNES but I am wondering if I should get a real genesis again (sold my collection off a while back) of if this is good enough.. but i have a retrotink 5x coming soon and wondering if it's worth using this system on it?  it has composite out.    

Odds are in my experience, it's the crap quality control of Hyperkin, not the everdrive.  I had the Retron5 and went through an interesting saga with that crapfest when it was new.  I had ongoing issues, ended up befriending their firmware maker on facebook, he took my problems to his boss, and i ended up with the v2 of that thing before it was even for sale to make up for it.  And even that one not that it wasn't improved, still was firmer than usual on the cart slot, the old one was bad enough some people would rip pins out of the thing on some games!

That R5X is an investment for sure.  Personally I'm split, if you're using a CRT then sure get an original, fine an oldest model non-TMSS one for the most compatibility with all games and less likely to jail bar out of have other oddities.  I If you intend though to use a modern TV, then just drop the $200 on a Mega SG, new hardware, super well made to last, no death grip slots, works awesome.  Or if youre insane, get a Nomad and run that over the R5X using the external port it has, but it won't do SMS, 32X or SCD if that's an interest (Mega SG will.)