IGNORED

Dan Kitchen's new game - Gold Rush

insertclevernamehere

3 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

At the gaming events I've gone to they've always checked out the AtariAge booth.  At PRGE 2017 John was showing David Crane his ports of Scramble and Super Cobra when David started to ask questions about DPC+, which John handed off to me; so they while they may not follow it as closely as we do, they do follow it.

Thanks for that confirmation.  Your assessment is exactly what I thought... Maybe not follow it as closely, but they HAVE to be aware of most everything going on.

You're not going to go down the rabbit hole of developing a game, a new cart shell, PCB, packaging, etc, without having a pretty good idea of what the current state of affairs are in the homebrew world.  And I'm also going to assume they probably looked at other publishing options before choosing to self-publish.  These are smart guys. They aren't going to dive head first into something without knowing, at least on some level, what they are getting themselves into.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

Yes:

Damn...

Sorry guys, I guess I was completely wrong.

I really did think they just weren't aware of how much has happened/etc.. Or maybe I was just really hoping that was the case but deep down I kind of knew...?

I don't know... Either way, now I'm kind of sad...

My apologies for being a little delusional. I get it now... My bad...

• Like 1

I still think you're right about this, and there's something kinda cool about it, as well: :)

On 9/13/2022 at 8:37 AM, Crazy Climber said:

We've reached the point of Atari fandom where a lot of us know MORE about it than the people that actually helped create it!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chris+++ said:

I still think you're right about this, and there's something kinda cool about it, as well: :)

Ha! Yeah, I remember I was talking with the creator/programmer of Rampage (arcade machine) at a classic games show and somebody asked him a question about some obscure arcade game that was released around the same time and he simply replied something to the effect of...

"To be honest, you guys probably know way more about it than I ever did" 

I thought that was hilarious and totally true in many cases so thank him for that comment :) 

BTW - the Rampage guy (Collin?) was a really cool guy that loved talking about the old arcade days. I'd highly recommend stopping by his booth if you ever see him at a game convention.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

WE are SUPER FANS of Atari. We buy, play, collect, drool, etc over any new developments and products made. It's just speculative on my part but I'm pretty sure they don't feel the same (which is totally fine) I think it was a job for them, one they have fond memories of and received a lot of praise for, and one they have chose to relive a little now that they have time (and a fanbase requesting them) to do so.

This is very true.

• Like 1

Man, now I'm having one of those "the Beatles are bigger than the Jesus" moments...

I mean...I've got their letter and patch prominently displayed next to my coveted 1980 blacklight viking warrior!!  Not an easy spot to get in my room.

20220914_171310.thumb.jpg.48f2ddce77ca4e29bd2e784166d597f1.jpg

I've also got the game on my top shelf "favorites" guarded by not only Rick, but Morty too!!  Sure, Ive had them guard games alone before...but BOTH for just one? Unheard of...

20220914_171335.thumb.jpg.fa24f2bcf040f032e25d279881eb286f.jpg

Dave...Dan...Gary? if you're reading this, let the people know you didn't mean it! Tell them you now realize homebrew of today are just as good or better than your own recent efforts. Hurry before the news media starts up and everyone is burning their circus convoys in the streets...

Screenshot_20220914-172531_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bfb57f6c76aeb3e659008f0c3aca2434.jpg

Edit - I'm joking obviously but damn, why did they have to say that....

Edited by Crazy Climber
forgot something
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s very easy to look up homebrew gaming online. Whether they were out of touch or not, why didn’t they do some research on the subject first?

They could have contacted a varying number of current day publishers (Atari Age, Songbird, etc) and investigated what sales were like before producing anything on their own.

They seemed to have an online prescience before releasing Circus Convoy, so it’s not like they were ignorant to how the internet works. 

I dunno’… maybe they were hoping that name recognition alone would be enough  to break retro gaming sales numbers somehow, but they became disenfranchised when sales of Circus Convoy ended up flatter than expected?

I just want KK2. 

Edited by ColecoGamer

Hmm…

It seems as if history is sadly repeating itself.

In 1984, we got the amazing DPC chip, but yet we only ever got 1 game out of it.

And here we are again, with this amazing super memory cart, but yet again, we’ve only gotten 1 game out of it.

Of course, the great video game crash was to blame the first time. But, exactly who or what is to blame this time?

12 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

It’s very easy to look up homebrew gaming online. Whether they were out of touch or not, why didn’t they do some research on the subject first?

They could have contacted a varying number of current day publishers (Atari Age, Songbird, etc) and investigated what sales were like before producing anything on their own.

They seemed to have an online prescience before releasing Circus Convoy, so it’s not like they were ignorant to how the internet works. 

I dunno’… maybe they were hoping that name recognition alone would be enough  to break retro gaming sales numbers somehow, but they became disenfranchised when sales of Circus Convoy ended up flatter than expected?

I just want KK2. 

Back on page 5 Spice mentioned they have frequently visited the AA booth at conventions and have asked several technical questions about new boards, etc (stuff that's over my head) so they were not out of touch like I thought/hoped... sounds like they were very much aware of how far homebrew has evolved.

I feel like I've even read that quote before and it just didn't register, or maybe I didn't want to believe it. I don't know, either way, now fully knowing that, them knocking homebrew seems a lot more douchey to me...I'm not going to boycott them or anything but I'm less excited for them.

I don't think their sales were bad as far as homebrew goes, sounds like several thousand sold, thats pretty damn good as far as I know. For a "professional" release though I'm not sure what they expected. They mentioned they are numbered up to 5000....Thats a LOT of games to move...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Back on page 5 Spice mentioned they have frequently visited the AA booth at conventions and have asked several technical questions about new boards, etc (stuff that's over my head) so they were not out of touch like I thought/hoped... sounds like they were very much aware of how far homebrew has evolved.

I feel like I've even read that quote before and it just didn't register, or maybe I didn't want to believe it. I don't know, either way, now fully knowing that, them knocking homebrew seems a lot more douchey to me...I'm not going to boycott them or anything but I'm less excited for them.

I don't think their sales were bad as far as homebrew goes, sounds like several thousand sold, thats pretty damn good as far as I know. For a "professional" release though I'm not sure what they expected. They mentioned they are numbered up to 5000....Thats a LOT of games to move...

After listening to a couple of recent interviews that have been done with them by ZPH and John Hancock I don't think they look down on homebrew.  They readily admit they wouldn't be doing this without homebrewers keeping the 2600 alive over the years.  I do however feel a bit of arrogance whenever I hear David Crane speak about anything.  Granted he's brilliant, rich, talented, and has an impressive resume.  But you can be all of those things and not come off arrogant, but that's very rare when you have his set of accomplishments and credentials.

Elon Musk comes to mind, he doesn't come off that way to me when I listen to him give talks or answer interviewers questions.  Steve Jobs and Nolan Bushnell don't even put off that level of arrogance in their interviews and talks.  Ofcourse they were also salesman.   He reminds me a lot of listening to Bill Gates speak, highly intelligent conversationalist but comes off like an asshole through condescending remarks.  

It could be that David Crane's level of intelligence makes him socially awkward and come off arrogant.  My wifes Uncle is like that.

• Like 4

Well to be fair, and I may have mentioned it before, back at the 2019 Florida show, my friend and I ran into David Crane one night while walking back to the hotel room and he was completely approachable,  super friendly, answered my questions, etc. And in fact, one of the key things that I talked to him about that night was the DPC chip.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Supergun said:

Well to be fair, and I may have mentioned it before, back at the 2019 Florida show, my friend and I ran into David Crane one night while walking back to the hotel room and he was completely approachable,  super friendly, answered my questions, etc. And in fact, one of the key things that I talked to him about that night was the DPC chip.

I’ve never met him in person.  I’m glad to hear you had a pleasant interaction with him on a personal level. My previous comment is only based on listening to him give interviews and talks over the years.

I am grateful for his continued contribution to the 2600.  I ended up ordering a copy of Circus convoy a couple days ago.  It looks great! I hope the team at audacity keep it up and inspires other programmers from back in the Ferg to make some new games for the 2600.  The more the better I think

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

I'm not going to boycott them or anything but I'm less excited for them.

This is 1000% my feelings exactly.  I'll still buy their games and support the effort because I like that they are making games (in theory) and supporting the console still, but some of those comments, which were totally unprovoked and unnecessary, just left me a little less excited to support them than I was before.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Supergun said:

I dealt with them a bit while I was volunteering doing the social media for Free Play Florida a few of years ago.  They were all fairly nice and approachable.  I did ask David what he thought about the Wii version of A Boy and His Blob and he didn't seem that thrilled with it, so I made sure NOT to mention that I was the producer on the that project to him! :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I reached out to Dan Kitchen again and once again, he was kind enough to respond.  As I hoped and suspected, the only reason for the delay in Casey's Gold is due to real life and client commitments.  He also confirmed that Casey's Gold is nearing completion and that Garry Kitchen and David Crane are both working on new games.  We just need to have faith and patience that these games will come eventually and that any delay or radio silence is due to their real jobs that actually pay the bills taking up all their time.

Very exciting to hear that there's other games in the pipeline from them but it doesn't make me any less excited for all the new games coming from AtariAge.  The more the merrier I say, although the Bank of Wife would disagree.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 2:03 PM, insertclevernamehere said:

We just need to have faith and patience that these games will come eventually and that any delay or radio silence is due to their real jobs that actually pay the bills taking up all their time.

I don't disagree with you.  But I guess this is what sets them apart from the "homebrewers" as many of the homebrewers, who also have real jobs, families, and a customer base waiting for their games will take a few minutes to just post status updates as to not keep people hanging!  :P

I mean, he took the time to respond to your email. It would have taken the EXACT same amount of time to post that same update to one of their social outlets just letting people know the status of things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TPR said:

I don't disagree with you.  But I guess this is what sets them apart from the "homebrewers" as many of the homebrewers, who also have real jobs, families, and a customer base waiting for their games will take a few minutes to just post status updates as to not keep people hanging!  :P

I mean, he took the time to respond to your email. It would have taken the EXACT same amount of time to post that same update to one of their social outlets just letting people know the status of things. 

Agreed.  It is frustrating when you hear nothing for ages.  I like my regular updates.  I'm sort of addicted to them.

• 3 months later...